End of an Era: Best Buy Dumping Compact Discs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes

post #1 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9159 Post(s)
Liked: 16150
End of an Era: Best Buy Dumping Compact Discs

Will Best Buy's abandonment of compact disc hasten the demise of the CD format? Or is it just the end of in-store browsing for albums?

Click here to read more... End of an Era: Best Buy Dumping Compact Disc & Keeping Vinyl Records
DaverJ likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 4043
The start of sophomore year in college (Fall of '85) I became "Digital Dave". I fell in love with those magical shiny discs, and still somewhat under their spell.

I eventually switched to iTunes, MP3s, hi-res digital, and got back into vinyl a couple years ago, but have never stopped buying CDs -- although lately my attention has been more surround music on DVD or Blu-ray. Rips, streaming, and non-physical digital just doesn't connect with me as much as something I pick from a collection and put on or into a device.

Even with the frustrations of the Loudness War and brickwalling, those 16/44 lossless discs can still sound great and pack a punch. I hope well-mastered CDs live on.
NuDLP and LDBetaGuy like this.
post #3 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
I was at my local Best Buy yesterday getting some ink for my printer and headphones for my son and noticed the CD's and DVD's were not at the front of the store anymore. I asked one of the guys and they said they were now at the back of the store in a smaller area. He did say that the LP sales were up and more popular. I understand it and can't remember the last time I bought a CD. I buy all my music on Amazon Prime if I can't get it free on there. The area is now more open and the phone area is bigger and they had displays for smart technology like Phelps Hue, Nest and other's. I wonder when they will stop putting CD players in car and trucks? Our new work computers no longer come with a DVD/CD drive anymore and less memory. They want you to put everything on a cloud now which I don't trust or like. I still like being able to store data on a drive of some kind. I have heard that Google Drive is going away as well and that they are going to a cloud service soon.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I loved my physical media but once you have tried spotify or other streaming services, why would you ever go back to CDs?
cegadede likes this.
post #5 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Still hunt for and buy some of the best recorded CDs of the 80s and 90s like the YellowJackets "Politics" CD I picked up the other day at my local thrift store for 27 cents.
Exceptional SACD like quality recording!!

Give me an exceptional recording and i am in no matter what the format except for vinly.
Vinyl is just not my thing anymore.

Hope Best Buy is marking them down so i can pick up a few jazz CDs.
dsettlemoir and gbaby like this.

Marantz MM8077,AV7703 |Polk LSiM 705s;706c,703s | Rythmik LV12r x2 | Oppo UDP-203
post #6 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I wonder when they will stop putting CD players in car and trucks? Our new work computers no longer come with a DVD/CD drive anymore and less memory. .
Already happening! A lot of new cars only have USB and Bluetooth.
post #7 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimDub13 View Post
Still hunt for and buy some of the best recorded CDs of the 80s and 90s like the YellowJackets "Politics" CD I picked up the other day at my local thrift store for 27 cents.
Exceptional SACD like quality recording!!

Give me an exceptional recording and i am in no matter what the format except for vinly.
Vinyl is just not my thing anymore.

Hope Best Buy is marking them down so i can pick up a few jazz CDs.

Anecdotally, I have heard that the company is discounting the merchandise.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkoSoze View Post
I loved my physical media but once you have tried spotify or other streaming services, why would you ever go back to CDs?
i dont feel like renting music
post #9 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
i dont feel line renting music
I cringe to think how much a month's worth listening would cost me if I was buying all the music I listen to instead of "renting" it.
Optos likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #10 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This topic just came up around the family dinner table last night. We couldn't come up of any good reasons to keep cd's. I haven't purchased one in years. If you run your own music server, then I think cd's are still worth it in that case. Otherwise, I cannot tell a difference in quality between a cd and a high quality stream from Google Music, Spotify, etc. (that includes a good dac and reference quality headphones). Having the hard copy available forever, without renting, may be the only upside I can think of. That will never disappear and will never be unavailable, it's always there. I'm pretty sure I'm saving a fortune renting the music rather than buying every album/song that I've listened to the last several years.

Having your music in the cloud is also more safe. I can't say how many albums I've lost to scratches or the cd's just not reading anymore. Ya, I can rip the music, but then I better not lose the hard drives they're on (which has happened before). And then I have to maintain backups. I'd rather let the cloud do all that for me.
cegadede likes this.
post #11 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 469
eh, i already own a massive amount of music, the amount i spend monthly is on average less than it would cost me to pay for something like spotify
post #12 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkoSoze View Post
Of course! Streaming if I'm feeling lazy, physical media when I want uninterrupted quality.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #13 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
i dont feel like renting music
I use Amazon Prime Music. I am already paying for prime for shipping and streaming movies so why not take advantage of the music as well. I mostly get download the free music to my cloud or my phone. I have bought maybe two new release of music this year on Amazon and I am not sure the last time I bought a CD. My wife wants to get rid of all of mine, but I have a lot of Blues CD's I probably couldn't find on a streaming service so I am keeping them.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #14 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5398 Post(s)
Liked: 3814
Will dvd, blu ray and UHD blu ray be next? Not that there isnt a demand, but many people who buy discs, do so online, whether it be from BB, amazon, etc.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #15 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Will dvd, blu ray and UHD blu ray be next? Not that there isnt a demand, but many people who buy discs, do so online, whether it be from BB, amazon, etc.
Someday, inevitably. And already, the Blu-ray section at many Best Buy locations has shrunk considerably and been moved to some far corner of the store. The exceptions to that, of course, are two things: the rack of new release movies that are right in front of registers, and the tubs full of five-dollar blu-rays. On my last visit to a Best Buy, I noticed that the official Blu-ray section mostly consisted of Ultra HD Blu-rays.

I guess the question about how long discs of any kind will be around is not yet answerable.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #16 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I don't hardly ever listen to music/records but I still buy CD's once in a while.
post #17 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Just to refer to an existing thread on this: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-...lling-cds.html
But carry on, my friends. Seeing Best Buy do this makes me a bit sad, but it's understandable given the current market.
post #18 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Will Best Buy's abandonment of compact disc hasten the demise of the CD format? Or is it just the end of in-store browsing for albums?

Quote:
At this point, all that’s left in the CD discussion is whether the format will ever experience a renaissance, the way vinyl records have. I would have to argue that they will not, because the data on those 120-millimeter discs is identical to the data you can stream from a service like Tidal, which offers CD-quality streaming. And it’s identical to he same album stored on a hard drive, or a USB thumb drive, or anywhere but a plastic disc that’s easy to scratch and only stores 80 minutes of music.
Ahh the reason you posted that MQA poll the other day. All these Tidal, Apple Music, are trying to get people to be subscribers to music on the go. Of course if you don't use a phone, then its the satellite music content providers such as Sirius/XM or like.

The fly in this change from physical media to streaming media, is the public is still cheap, meaning they can live with the non-CD quality audio if its free. Like listening to a radio station, if there are some advertisements, so what if it is free.

On a related note I find this funny considering BB wants to dump selling CD's.

Directly outside that section of the store was a display of blank CDs, DVDs, and storage. There were more blank CDs in stock than USB drives, which felt outdated considering so many computers don't even come with CD drives anymore.

Oppo Beta Group

Last edited by JohnAV; 02-12-2018 at 10:43 AM.
post #19 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 101
While it will never completely disappear, physical media is largely going to disappear for the masses. In reality, it already has. In the U.S., for the first six months of 2017 (RIAA hasn't released the full-year numbers yet), physical media was only 16.3% of the U.S. market (in dollars). Even downloads have become small - it was only 19.6%. Streaming takes 64.1% of industry dollars (and when the full year numbers are released, I suspect physical will be even lower and streaming higher).

There's plenty of hype around LP's, but only 17.2 million were sold in 2016 and only 7.2 million were sold in the first half of 2017 according to the RIAA and 14.32 million for the full year, according to Nielsen.

At its peak, 942.5 million CD's were sold in the U.S. In 2016, just 99.4 million were sold (RIAA). In the first half of 2017, just 35.2 million were sold according to the RIAA and 87.97 for the full year according to Nielsen.

So you take those numbers and throw in a percentage of consumers who buy online instead of physical retail and there's not much left for physical retailers. In retail, success is judged by annual sales per square foot and if something else can generate more revenue in the same space, that's what physical retail will do. In addition, music used to be a way to increase what retailers call "dwell time" - the amount of time someone spends in a store. The more time one spends, the more money they're likely to spend. Families would go shopping and the kids would go browse the records and it would increase overall sales. That doesn't happen anymore because the kids are streaming everything.

Target has announced that they might stop selling CDs as well unless the record companies will let them pay for the merchandise only after a sale is made, essentially buying product on consignment. The labels are unlikely to go for that.

The other thing that's happening is that these big box stores are reconfiguring and newer stores are much smaller. A "mini-Target" opened near me (replacing a Barnes & Noble) and they don't sell media at all.

And yes, physical is in major decline for home video as well. In 2009, DVD + Blu was an almost $11 billion business in the U.S. In 2017, it was $4.7 billion (including UHD). They'll be fewer releases, fewer restorations, fewer deluxe packages, etc., as time goes on. It's becoming a niche hobbyist market. It doesn't mean it disappears completely. It means primarily only the biggest, newest hits will be released, because it's a hit driven market anyway, especially Blu. In 2016, the top 100 titles took 70% of industry dollars and 57% of industry units. It means a retailer need stock only 200 titles to fulfill the needs of the vast majority of consumers.

If you're a physical media collector, my advice is that if there's that LP, CD or Blu you always wanted (especially boxed sets and special editions) but never bothered to buy, buy it now. Very few titles are going to get re-pressed. Of course the used market will be around forever, but the good stuff is always very expensive.
DaverJ, edved1 and clientnumber9 like this.
post #20 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Ahh the reason you posted that MQA poll the other day. All these Tidal, Apple Music, are trying to get people to subscribers to music on the go. Of course if you don't use a phone, then its the satellite music content providers such as Sirius/XM or like.

The fly in this change from physical media to streaming media, is the public is still cheap, meaning they can live with the non-CD quality audio if its free. Like listening to a radio station, if there are some advertisements, so what if it is free.

On a related note I find this funny considering BB wants to dump selling CD's.

Directly outside that section of the store was a display of blank CDs, DVDs, and storage. There were more blank CDs in stock than USB drives, which felt outdated considering so many computers don't even come with CD drives anymore.
Briefly...

- A lot of people are opting for something like Amazon Echo, which does not require a phone.

- The MQA poll is about MQA, not about Tidal.

- Spotify's basic tier is free but the quality is lower and you get ads.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #21 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Briefly...

- A lot of people are opting for something like Amazon Echo, which does not require a phone.

- The MQA poll is about MQA, not about Tidal.

- Spotify's basic tier is free but the quality is lower and you get ads.
True, but greatly reduced audio fidelity, readily could be a another article for you in the future.
If you take the MQA out of Tidal, public exposure is a lot less, and the point of the above post is that consumers don't care about the ads. Even Sirius XM which you pay for has ads.

The main problem with CD sales is that since optical drives were removed from computers a few years back, you have the greatly decreasing marketplace for playing them. Even when driving around, you not likely to see people playing CD's in a car anymore. Like DVD discs they also get scratched really easy.

Oppo Beta Group
post #22 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
I still do 75% of my music listening from CDs. The other is vinyl, music DVD and BDs, and radio. I do a lot of trading burnt CDs with my friends. I own about 400 albums on CD from my teenage years and beyond. I think I have about a total of 10 songs downloaded from iTunes. Im a child of the 80s and love physical media. I love actually owning the album. I love the way a new album smells and love thumbing through the insert and reading the lyrics. Downloading a song to me has none of that but costs all or more of the price if you want the whole album.

I recently went to Best Buy and took advantage of how cheap they had a lot of their CDs marked down to $5. Many of the selections were stuff I already had or don't listen too but I managed to find a couple albums.
r-gordon-7 likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #23 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Not that I bought CDs from Best buy - but I will continue buying CDs from Amazon.

Id much rather have quality over convenience of streaming. Plus you must be connected to the internet at all times and thats not always an option for everyone.

Unless digital music can be purchased at CD quality or higher (like us.7digital.com or hdtracks - and maybe someday iTunes... ) then I will switch over. But they dont always have that album on their websites so I have to resort to CD and then rip it onto my PC.

CG Lighting Artist for Walt Disney Animation Studios
Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH AVR || Klipsch RF-7ii, RC-64ii, RS-62ii || SVS SB13U || Samsung UN55C8000 3DTV || XBone || X360e || N Wii U || N Switch || ATV 4k || Oppo 203
post #24 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5398 Post(s)
Liked: 3814
I have about 500 cds sitting in boxes in my basement. Last time I used them was to load each cd into iTunes years ago. Now I listen to all my music via iTunes.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #25 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I still buy physical media for the stuff I really like. Things "disappear" from streaming services sometimes. Only way my discs will "disappear" is if the house goes up in flames or someone breaks in and steals them.

In the "old days", I'd buy the vinyl LP, record it to a cassette, and store the album as a backup. These days, I rip the CD (or LP) to the hard drive, and store the disc as a backup. I still own EVERY LP and CD I've ever bought (nearly 600 LPs, 700 CDs). Because I rarely played the vinyl, most of them still are in "like new" condition after all these years.

I've never subscribed to a music streaming service. I either just listen to my ripped music, or, when in my vehicle, the local FM classic rock station.
dnoonie likes this.
post #26 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I wonder when they will stop putting CD players in car and trucks?
My '17 Dodge Challenger does not have a CD drive in it, instead it has 3 USB ports. A CD drive was not even an option I believe.

Vizio P65-C1 - Denon AVR-X1200W - Klipsch RF-52 II, RC-62 II, RS-41 II & RP-140SA - Triad InRoom Gold PowerSub - DirecTV HR54 & C61K - Sony UBP-X800 - PS4 Pro
post #27 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 3203
Best Buys sells CDs ? When Virgin and Tower got out of the record store business, and when Borders folded most people I know went to Amazon to buy music. Amazon is still a good place to buy CDs.
DaverJ likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #28 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Streaming is great, especially for discovering new bands. Streaming doesn't work everywhere I go and probably wont for a long long time. When I really like a band, I'll buy the CD and then rip it to my library. So when I'm driving around, it's usually the radio or my phone because streaming just doesn't work well here.
dnoonie likes this.
post #29 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by goslin23 View Post
My '17 Dodge Challenger does not have a CD drive in it, instead it has 3 USB ports. A CD drive was not even an option I believe.
'17 VW has CD, Aux, USB, BT.....we use CD the most.
r-gordon-7 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #30 of 113 Old 02-12-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Funny you should ask...

As I'm ripping 11 used CDs I just bought.

I listen to ripped CDs and flac downloads through JRiver and my OPUS #1 DAP (no streaming capability). I also listen on the big system with CDs in the OPPO player but this is likely to be short lived as I complete my whole home audio.

I've recently added whole house audio and after about a 15 year pause in collecting music I've started collecting again. Instead of 2 or 3 new albums a year it's been several dozen a month for the last 2-3 months, I'll likely slow down soon...maybe. Purchases have been new through Amazon, used through https://www.discogs.com and downloads from artists web sites, Prostudio, etc

Why not streaming? I'm often without internet so it's not practical. I use streaming to find new music, then purchase one way or another. Also before Tidal I found streaming quality unacceptable, when streaming becomes practical I'll get a DAP that supports MQA that streams and start streaming, but I'll still purchase the music I really like, 'cuase things change.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)

Last edited by dnoonie; 02-12-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
best buy , cds , compact disc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page