Marantz SA-8005 Super Audio CD Player - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #31 of 48 Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
since hifi system listening and sound evaluation is ultimately a subjective assessment and experience -- not an objective one, from person to person.
You do that with speakers and small number of DACs and pre/amps by esoteric brands, which Marantz isn't.
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 03-18-2018, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well, there’s a 8005 heading my way.

If it doesn’t sound any different (better) than the Onkyo 7030 I am using now, I’ll send it back.
JA Fant and G00dband like this.
post #33 of 48 Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 PM

Okay, I’m not sure what to think. The surprise isn’t that there’s a difference, but rather the degree of difference between the basic timbre of the two players. It’s actually somewhat jarring. I will have to listen to the 8005 a lot over the next few days and see if I can get used to its tone. If not, it may go back. And not because there’s no difference, but perhaps too much.

Question for any of the other 8005 owners: How long did it take you to acclimate, especially if you were coming from a player that might have had a bright signature? Did anyone move on to something different because of the 8005’s dark (for want of a better word) tone?

Thanks in advance.
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 03-22-2018, 04:52 AM

Okay, I’m beginning to adapt to the 8005, and it certainly takes the edge off some harsh sounding CDs. Marantz’s suggestion to turn off the digital output makes a noticeable difference in the sound, but I don’t hear a difference by turning off the display (another Marantz suggestion to optimize sound quality)

I’m going to get a couple of SACDs of favorite albums, as I only own and have only listened to red books. Obviously, I have decided to hang on to the Marantz, if for no other reason, than to demonstrate that there is indeed a significant difference in the sound between CD players. Whether one is better than the other might be a subjective call, but they ain’t the same.

Out of curiosity, I’m going to plug the digital output of the Onkyo into the Marantz this weekend, and see what that sounds like. (I can’t mess around with the audio stuff before then, too much work over the next couple of days).
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by MarvinLungwitz; 03-22-2018 at 10:47 AM.
post #35 of 48 Old 03-22-2018, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinLungwitz View Post
Okay, I’m being to adapt to the 8005, and it certainly takes the edge off some harsh sounding CDs.

Yes, when the unit is brand new the capacitors aren't broken in yet and the high frequencies are a bit suppressed. They'll need a few hours and several charges and discharges before they 'settle'. You can speed up this process by playing the unit for about an hour or two then turning it off for about 10-15 minutes, then playing it another hour or two and repeating, etc. After a two or three dozen hours with several turn offs in between, it should be 'broken in' so to speak.

But yes, Marantz tends to slightly roll off the high frequencies a bit compared to most other players.
JA Fant and MarvinLungwitz like this.
post #36 of 48 Old 03-22-2018, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 468
The SA8005 I auditioned slowly improved over several days and settled down after about 60 hours of use. As I recall, on two occasions I ran it continuously overnight in Repeat (All) mode with the rest of my system turned off.

Yes, indeed, the 8005 leans to the warmish side of neutral. That aspect will not change.

If you decide you like the 8005's sonics but won't invest in SACDs after all, I found the Marantz CD6006 sounds the same as the 8005 when playing redbook recordings via the analog outputs (the 8005's transport, though, sounds better than the 6006's transport). I had both players at the same time for comparison. Thus, for CD use only, the 6006 will save you some money. The only physical difference that comes to mind is in the larger text size and additional info shown by the 8005's front-panel display.
JA Fant and MarvinLungwitz like this.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #37 of 48 Old 03-22-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
I do believe the rolled off highs do show up in measurements I've seen, and indeed they should if they're audible.
The players would have to have a 1 db difference at 10kH and 3 dB at 16 kH to be audible.

"Level Discrimination as a Function of Level for Tones from .25 to 16khz", Florentine, Mary, et al, Journal of Acoustic Society of America, 81(5) May 1987, pg 1528-1541.
JA Fant likes this.
post #38 of 48 Old 03-22-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
RWetmore: I would ignore this guy. He brings up the same subject time and again. Same graphs, charts and video's. Eventually the Moderator will get fed up and close the thread. Plenty of people w/actual experience w/Marantz and similar players to give you some real world experience.
You mean those graphs and charts have an expiration date? People do bring up the same claims that warrant the same answers. Simple.
Do you have something different that is better evidence?
JA Fant likes this.
post #39 of 48 Old 03-24-2018, 09:19 AM

The burn in and acclimating are coming along well. The higher end seems to be filling in, and the bottom end is glorious.

This AM, I’m listening to a red book CD of Joan Armatrading’s Me, Myself, and I album. The drums! Audio Bliss.

Will play with the Onkyo/Marantz hybrid later.
JA Fant likes this.
post #40 of 48 Old 03-24-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
The SA8005 I auditioned slowly improved over several days and settled down after about 60 hours of use. As I recall, on two occasions I ran it continuously overnight in Repeat (All) mode with the rest of my system turned off.

Yes, indeed, the 8005 leans to the warmish side of neutral. That aspect will not change.

If you decide you like the 8005's sonics but won't invest in SACDs after all, I found the Marantz CD6006 sounds the same as the 8005 when playing redbook recordings via the analog outputs (the 8005's transport, though, sounds better than the 6006's transport). I had both players at the same time for comparison. Thus, for CD use only, the 6006 will save you some money. The only physical difference that comes to mind is in the larger text size and additional info shown by the 8005's front-panel display.
I’m thinking of getting a 5005 or 6006 for my smaller system. Or maybe try a NAD C 516BEE just for the fun of it.
JA Fant likes this.
post #41 of 48 Old 05-05-2018, 02:06 PM

Update. The Onkyo digital output connected to the Marantz via optical cable sounds like the Marantz. The DAC and output stage of the Marantz must be responsible for its sonic signature, which I really enjoy. The forceful and dramatic bass is 👍👍👍, and after the breaking in period, the higher end no longer sounds dull.
post #42 of 48 Old 05-05-2018, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinLungwitz View Post
Update. The Onkyo digital output connected to the Marantz via optical cable sounds like the Marantz. The DAC and output stage of the Marantz must be responsible for its sonic signature, which I really enjoy. The forceful and dramatic bass is 👍👍👍, and after the breaking in period, the higher end no longer sounds dull.
It would have been quite shocking if it had not sounded like the Marantz. Set up as you describe, the Onkyo becomes a transport, with all the audio work done in the Marantz.

Has anyone tried the headphone amp? My more recent audio habits have migrated towards headphones (not that I won't return to a more speaker oriented environment eventually, but having gone back to school for a Ph.D., I find myself frequently listening on headphones--either at the library, the archives or at home--to isolate me from the noise around me). I have nearly 300 SACDs but I don't always want to fire up the main rig (it's not convenient for my current work purposes) and have been keeping an eye out for a minimalist central piece of gear. Something like this would be pretty ideal (disc player for CD/SACD, DAC for computer audio, headphone amp). Just curious.
post #43 of 48 Old 05-06-2018, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 453
So glad this thread is back on track thanks to Marvin.
MarvinLungwitz likes this.

Amps/Pre-Amps: Job 225, Job Pre2, Hafler 9303 Transnova, Onkyo Integra P304, Onkyo Integra M-504
CD Players: Creek Evolution 50CD, Cambridge Audio Azur 550C CD Player, Marantz CD63 SE
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 75F, B&W CDM 1NT, Paradigm 7se Mk 3, Tannoy DC2000
post #44 of 48 Old 05-06-2018, 10:01 AM

BTW, I’m going to go after the Marantz sound in my smaller system as well. But rather than get a Marantz CD player, I’m going to get a 6006 integrated amp and use its DAC and my other Onkyo 7030 CD player as a transport. I am assuming it will give me a similar sound as a Marantz CD player. If not, I’ll get a 6006 CD player as well.
post #45 of 48 Old 08-21-2018, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post

In one's listening experience, yeah, all sorts of things are heard. I've had the same too in levels unmatched and none double blind setting.
You've experienced brightness and edginess from levels not being matched? Maybe there's an underlying issue with the system you're not even aware of; certainly, one you're not addressing.

With respect to those who insist that levels have to be matched to "really" compare two components, what are your criteria for judging a component or system's sound quality? I listen for things like soundstage, image specificity, lack of distortion, and accuracy of tone. None of which (except distortion, possibly) can be ascertained (by me) in a DBT where different system configurations are switched quickly.

I realized this several years ago (~20) when demonstrating to a friend a particular digital cable I had found. He was the last one to switch it and I didn't confirm what he said he left in the system. Days passed and I began to doubt myself as I no longer heard the improvement I thought I had. After playing the one song where it was most apparent (low level sounds had a distinctness and clarity I hadn't heard with the other cable) and failing to hear what I expected, I went and checked the back of the stack - lo and behold, he had left the original cable in, not the new one.

DBT is a strawman and not useful for judging the characteristics of an audio system I find important. Or interesting.
JA Fant likes this.
post #46 of 48 Old 12-16-2018, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by seehearinc View Post
You've experienced brightness and edginess from levels not being matched? Maybe there's an underlying issue with the system you're not even aware of; certainly, one you're not addressing.

With respect to those who insist that levels have to be matched to "really" compare two components, what are your criteria for judging a component or system's sound quality? I listen for things like soundstage, image specificity, lack of distortion, and accuracy of tone. None of which (except distortion, possibly) can be ascertained (by me) in a DBT where different system configurations are switched quickly.

I realized this several years ago (~20) when demonstrating to a friend a particular digital cable I had found. He was the last one to switch it and I didn't confirm what he said he left in the system. Days passed and I began to doubt myself as I no longer heard the improvement I thought I had. After playing the one song where it was most apparent (low level sounds had a distinctness and clarity I hadn't heard with the other cable) and failing to hear what I expected, I went and checked the back of the stack - lo and behold, he had left the original cable in, not the new one.

DBT is a strawman and not useful for judging the characteristics of an audio system I find important. Or interesting.

Are you guys still liking the SA-8005?
post #47 of 48 Old 12-17-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by seehearinc View Post

Cool story bro!
CruelInventions and JA Fant like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #48 of 48 Old 12-22-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Cool story bro!
indeed. and we hardly knew ye. thankfully.
thehun and JA Fant like this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports