• 1 Post By golfster
  • 1 Post By Zcars

post #1 of 6 Old 04-10-2018, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
NEW Turntable

Getting back into vinyl! Just bought a new Pro Ject Debut Carbon turntable. Set up as instructed, but just don't have the quality sound I expected. I have bought new albums, have a nice amp and Martin Logan 40''s Has anyone had problems with this turntable? I have weight set on 1.8 grams, but did not check stylus angle. It was said to be set at factory. Also, have a set of gold cables to amp. The table is isolated from speakers and is perfectly level.. Any help or advice, would be great. There's really not much difference from my cd player or xm radio. Was expecting to be blown away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBELBLUES View Post
Getting back into vinyl! Just bought a new Pro Ject Debut Carbon turntable. Set up as instructed, but just don't have the quality sound I expected. I have bought new albums, have a nice amp and Martin Logan 40''s Has anyone had problems with this turntable? I have weight set on 1.8 grams, but did not check stylus angle. It was said to be set at factory. Also, have a set of gold cables to amp. The table is isolated from speakers and is perfectly level.. Any help or advice, would be great. There's really not much difference from my cd player or xm radio. Was expecting to be blown away!
what is the issue aside from it not having the quality of sound you were expecting? What amp are you using?
I have the Project Debut Carbon as well, and I'm really enjoying it and the sound. I'm using Monoprice's "top of the line" RCA cables and my amp is a couple year old Sony ES AVR. I'm currently using 30-40 year old DCM Time Window speakers. I've also used Klipsch RB-5s, everything sounded great.

Do you have a phono amp or a phono stage in your amp? Is the TT properly grounded?

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #3 of 6 Old 04-10-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBELBLUES View Post
Getting back into vinyl! There's really not much difference from my cd player or xm radio. Was expecting to be blown away!
And there should not be. Same could be said if you added a cassette deck. If you are getting sound comparable to a CD from your vinyl, you are doing well. If you want to change the sound of your TT, you can try a different cartridge. What is the specific problem with the sound?
eljaycanuck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-11-2018, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I would agree with the other posters that there are still some unanswered questions and perhaps unrealistic expectations. I recently got the same TT and some new pressings of old classics (jazz) and I am pleased with the results. A separate phono pre-amp is usually recommended unless you have a really good amp with phono input, and not all vinyl is good quality. There are pressings from poor master recordings, and open domain labels using ripped CDs as the source. What have you listened to, and what were you expecting? Analogue will sound different, but not everyone likes the sound compared to digital.
Muphasta likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-19-2018, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Yea, the reason all my vinyl from the 70s was donated to an art student who subequently glued them to a wall to make a collage. The album covers went in the trash.

With a good dac, I'm very pleased with the sound of digital, either lossless downloads, high rez downloads or disc based (CD/SACD).

Physics dictates limitations on vinyl that can't be overcome, regardless of how much you spend on equipment.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #6 of 6 Old 04-19-2018, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The Debut Carbon is nice, but it is an entry level turn table. Using a better cartridge can make a difference, using a better phono preamp can also make quite a difference. Pro-Ject sells some very affordable phono preamps that you can try, you did not mention what phono pre-amp you are using. If you are using one that is built into your receiver, that may explain some of the issue. Also, expectation bias. A lot of people like the way vinyl sounds over a CD or digital music, but it is really preference. Vinyl does not have the same capacity for dynamic range and frequency response that digital can.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page