Help Needed: Confused - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-13-2018, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Help Needed: Confused

I want to be able to listen to new music in my current home theater set-up, but I do not want to have to buy cds anymore. I want the ability to play the music on a portable player, store the music on a hard drive or my computer, and possibly be able to send the music wirelessly without lost sound quality.

I am aware of the mp3 format, streaming, and how to download music, but I want to step-up the sound quality of the music that I download. I also want to buy and own the music that I listen to along with possibly some streaming.

I am currently running an older pioneer elite receiver, newer pioneer elite blu-ray player, and paradigm speakers. I am looking to upgrade the receiver, and I open to adding whatever portable and component sources I need to achieve my goal.

Is this possible?

Last edited by k elone; 04-13-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-14-2018, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 644
You can buy cd quality music or better from HDtracks and other vendors. I tunes is currently 256kb aac, so compressed. Most receivers nowadays would play music from a portable usb hard drive. You can even use a flash drive. I use a 256 gb flash drive, my oppo bdp-95 and tablet media app to remotely navigate the flash drive. Some AVRs may also have media apps that allow that. Other blu ray players can also stream wirelessly, the Sony X-800 or 1000es UHD blu ray players. They use the SongPal app for iOS or android. Here is a description of the SongPal app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....songpal&hl=en

Another option is to buy a airplay capable receiver. That will allow you to select an album or playlist in iTunes and have it wirelessly streamed to your receiver. All denon's have that now, and most others as well.

Or you could buy a music media server. Sony has one. They get pricey though. Almost 2 grand. You cheapest bet would be the 249 sony x-800 blu ray player and it's media app. You can probably navigate an portable attached hard drive to the player. Check the Sony player thread in the blu ray forum and ask there. It says its DLNA capable. Of course if you are upgrading your receiver anyway, just get an airplay capable one and you have no additional outlay. You open iTunes either on your computer, tablet or iPhone select your playlist (my playlists are albums) and it's streamed to your receiver through your wireless network, provided everything is connected to your wireless router.

Depending on your budget you can do this with Oppo. They are shutting down and quitting making players. You can still get the 203 for 549, or look in this forum's classifieds for used 103s if you don't need 4k video disk playback. The Sony is the cheaper solution if all you are doing is music playback and using hdmi connections to a receiver. If you are using any analog RCAs though, you'll need to step up to the Sony 1000es player (2 channel RCAs) or the Oppo (7.1 channel RCAs).

For what it's worth, you still won't find the large catalog of stuff in CD quality to download that exists in CDs. I still buy CDs, rip them to iTunes and load to my phone, or usb drive for playback via my blu ray player.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 04-14-2018 at 04:22 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-14-2018, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1826
agree with @glangford . Getting an older Oppo can give you access to services like Tidal as well. Wonderful service, and lots of music as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page