New C 538 CD Player from NAD - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #31 of 70 Old 06-07-2018, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Onkyo integra DXC606 here and have the Sony 4k player for super audio CD if needed. And my venerable Pioneer 414 for DTS audio man that's a clean sounding deck. Of course I also have a copper aiwa chassis xc001 in the garage which is baby sony es. Other that Sirius what is streaming... lol give me physical media.
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 Old 06-07-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
And not everyone wants either an Internet or computer based music system.
Clearly not "everyone", as there is a niche for everything. For everyone else, that's the part that seems absurd to me. 10 years ago, even 5 years ago, I saw that as a totally reasonable position. Now there are plenty of easy-to-use, affordable options (certainly sub-$300) that will play WAV/FLAC anywhere and anytime. Today it just looks like choosing vanity over convenience, with quality being the same (or potentially better with audio sourced from SACD/DVDA/"HD"). I'm certainly not offended by someone's decision to buy a no-frills, basic CD player for $300 in 2018, I just find it silly. Freedom of choice, to each his own, etc.
JA Fant likes this.
post #33 of 70 Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
notably, it has playback controls right on the front panel offering “play, pause, skip, and scan” functions. Plus it comes with a remote that lets listeners perform the classic bag of cd player tricks: Random, repeat , rpt a-b, and program.
sold!
joedok, DonoMan and JA Fant like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 70 Old 06-07-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Clearly not "everyone", as there is a niche for everything. For everyone else, that's the part that seems absurd to me. 10 years ago, even 5 years ago, I saw that as a totally reasonable position. Now there are plenty of easy-to-use, affordable options (certainly sub-$300) that will play WAV/FLAC anywhere and anytime. Today it just looks like choosing vanity over convenience, with quality being the same (or potentially better with audio sourced from SACD/DVDA/"HD"). I'm certainly not offended by someone's decision to buy a no-frills, basic CD player for $300 in 2018, I just find it silly. Freedom of choice, to each his own, etc.
"silly" remains judgemental. And converting thousands of CDs to WAV/FLAC or any other codec of choice is a rather time-consuming process (I started some time ago, got a few hundred in and stopped). I stream from Apple Music (that's the height of convenience over quality--all my computer gear is Apple and I'm too lazy to switch to other brands) but Apple Music does NOT offer me MCH playback (need my SACDs and DVD-As for that) nor does it contain all the titles I have on CD (not by a long shot). Consequently, I make regular use of my "shiny discs".

If I were just starting out, it's very likely I wouldn't bother much, if at all, with CDs (or would rip what few CDs I wanted that I could not find among several streaming services). But just as I still pop in "shiny discs" for movies, I still do it for music and will be doing so for quite some time to come. As well the majority of people I know (away from the internet). Of course, we're pretty much all 50 years old or older, so there's that.

If I ever win the lotto, then maybe I'll pay some student to rip all my CDs for me, organize a nice streaming system (do something similar for my movies) and then become part of the "it crowd". But til then, I'm going to need disc spinners--and I'd rather have a 300$ replacement option (one that has the feature my old CD players had) than the four figure options that will be the norm if only boutique brands are making CD players.

But as you said, "to each his own". Cheers.
JA Fant and audiocologne like this.
post #35 of 70 Old 06-07-2018, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Well, I just paid $1.4K for Creek Audio 50CD player and I love it! I have a massive CD collection and 3 CD players. Same thing here that I can't understand why one would still play an LP today which I swear off back in 1986. The static, the inability to skip tracks, flip the record to play side B blah blah blah. But look at the resurgence of LPs. I don't find it silly, its someone's preference. Yes, to each his own and at peace with it.

Amps/Pre-Amps: Job 225, Job Pre2, Hafler 9303 Transnova, Onkyo Integra P304, Onkyo Integra M-504
CD Players: Creek Evolution 50CD, Cambridge Audio Azur 550C CD Player, Marantz CD63 SE
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 75F, B&W CDM 1NT, Paradigm 7se Mk 3, Tannoy DC2000
post #36 of 70 Old 06-07-2018, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked: 2910
Quote:
For the sake of argument, let's pretend that more people listen to music from CDs than from the combined paid and free sources of downloads and streaming like Pandora, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, SiriusXM, YouTube, SomaFM... nevermind. I can't pretend that hard. In either case, I find it unlikely that any number of "Primarily CD Listeners" would pay $300 for the privilege. The few CD buyers I know rip them to FLAC or other formats and never actually play anything directly from a disc. But hey, there's one born every minute. Good luck, NAD.
Emotiva is already in this market, so maybe NAD has been watching.
JA Fant likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #37 of 70 Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct221933 View Post
Well, I just paid $1.4K for Creek Audio 50CD player and I love it! I have a massive CD collection and 3 CD players. Same thing here that I can't understand why one would still play an LP today which I swear off back in 1986. The static, the inability to skip tracks, flip the record to play side B blah blah blah. But look at the resurgence of LPs. I don't find it silly, its someone's preference. Yes, to each his own and at peace with it.
I have dedicated CD players for each of my systems. I have acquired a great collection of music on cd over the years, and my players get regular use spinning them. As a bonus, I use my Marantz players to stream Internet music by connecting my iPad or IPhone via the front usb. Since both Marantz players are connected to integrated amplifiers, the flexibility to both play discs and stream music makes them an essential part of each system. They are really the only source I need. Either way, stream or disc, the audio they produce is very good.

As a side, I use them to stream more than to play discs, but I would not be without the ability to listen to my cd collection.
ct221933, JA Fant, Ovation and 2 others like this.

2 channel : Anthem Integrated 225, Bluesound Node 2i, Monitor Audio Silver 8, PSA S1500, Marantz SA8005,
HT: Yamaha RX-A1060, Klipsch RP-260, Polk RTIA1 rears, RP-450C, PSA V1500, Onkyo C-S5VL
Office: Yamaha A-S701, Bluesound Node 2, Monitor Audio Silver 2, SVS SB12-NSD, Marantz CD6006

Last edited by raceredmustang; 06-08-2018 at 06:05 AM. Reason: grammar
post #38 of 70 Old 06-08-2018, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I don't have a huge cd/sacd collection (around 400) but I listen almost exclusively (90% of the time) to cd's.

For me listening to music is like a ritual and I appreciate the process of choosing a cd from my collection, putting it in my cd/sacd player and listening to the whole album.

I know streaming music is more convinient but it is not as fun for me.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 4 en utilisant Tapatalk
post #39 of 70 Old 06-08-2018, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Since I started using I Tunes, my CD's just sit on the shelf. You can't beat the convenience. And yes, I Tunes sound great.

You can send them to me, I'll pay the shipping

but I have to ask, if you don't use the CD's why do you still have them ?

I would get a dedicated CD player in this price range. What appeals to me most is the panel buttons and display. I have the Sony UDP X800 and I really dislike having to turn on the TV in order to see what is happening.
Ovation and JA Fant like this.
post #40 of 70 Old 06-10-2018, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I love buying CDs - I immediately rip to USB/NAS and playback on receiver. What don’t I get without CD player, instant gratification?
JA Fant likes this.
post #41 of 70 Old 06-11-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I love buying CDs - I immediately rip to USB/NAS and playback on receiver. What don’t I get without CD player, instant gratification?
That's great if it works for you. Not everyone wants to go that route (I just spent a weekend at a cottage with no fancy computer system or internet--but it did have a CD player ).

I'm probably not the best person to post on the subject, though--I still use my MiniDisc decks.
JA Fant likes this.
post #42 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
That's great if it works for you. Not everyone wants to go that route (I just spent a weekend at a cottage with no fancy computer system or internet--but it did have a CD player ).

I'm probably not the best person to post on the subject, though--I still use my MiniDisc decks.
I had a Sony Walkman minidisc player/recorder and for while had a mini disc deck in my honda CR-V. I didn't think anyone still used those.
JA Fant likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #43 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I had a Sony Walkman minidisc player/recorder and for while had a mini disc deck in my honda CR-V. I didn't think anyone still used those.
I recorded a bunch of radio broadcasts and a few audio feeds of concerts off of a DVR and still enjoy listening to them.
JA Fant and glangford like this.
post #44 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
I still buy pre-recorded MiniDisc off of ebay. I have a portable MD player and a component MD player/recorder; both Sony.
JA Fant and glangford like this.

Avatar - My guard dog, Bogi - RIP

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
post #45 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post
I still buy pre-recorded MiniDisc off of ebay. I have a portable MD player and a component MD player/recorder; both Sony.
I remember prerecorded mini discs being at best buy around the late 90s when I bought my mini disc recorder. At one time I had a couple of shoeboxes full of recorded mini discs. I gave them and the portable player to my sister when my car deck crapped out and was not replaceable by best buy under 3 year warranty. (last time I bought a best buy warranty). i then put in a cd deck and for walking and portabilty bought a 4 GB iPod, circa 2001.
JA Fant likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #46 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I remember prerecorded mini discs being at best buy around the late 90s when I bought my mini disc recorder. At one time I had a couple of shoeboxes full of recorded mini discs. I gave them and the portable player to my sister when my car deck crapped out and was not replaceable by best buy under 3 year warranty. (last time I bought a best buy warranty). i then put in a cd deck and for walking and portabilty bought a 4 GB iPod, circa 2001.
Yeah, I remember pre-recorded MDs from my days of hanging out at my local Tower Records.
JA Fant likes this.

post #47 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
Yeah, I remember pre-recorded MDs from my days of hanging out at my local Tower Records.
Respect - Sony had it going on with Mini Disc and DAT. These were certainly niche' products for narrow margin of buyers compared to Cassette, Compact Disc and Vinyl.
Very cool in concept and portable applications as well.
post #48 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceredmustang View Post
I have dedicated CD players for each of my systems. I have acquired a great collection of music on cd over the years, and my players get regular use spinning them. As a bonus, I use my Marantz players to stream Internet music by connecting my iPad or IPhone via the front usb. Since both Marantz players are connected to integrated amplifiers, the flexibility to both play discs and stream music makes them an essential part of each system. They are really the only source I need. Either way, stream or disc, the audio they produce is very good.

As a side, I use them to stream more than to play discs, but I would not be without the ability to listen to my cd collection.
I like the NAD BEE series of cd players, I just wished that they were not made in china? Newer Rotel falls into this scheme as well.
ct221933 likes this.
post #49 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Respect - Sony had it going on with Mini Disc and DAT. These were certainly niche' products for narrow margin of buyers compared to Cassette, Compact Disc and Vinyl.
Very cool in concept and portable applications as well.
I believe Sony had much bigger hopes, commercially speaking, for MiniDisc and DAT. SACD as well.

Many people bash Sony for their seemingly non-stop "money grab" with each new format the company introduces. However, it seems only Sony was brave enough to invest money and technical know-how into the development of these formats. And once in a while, Sony actually hits a grand slam, i.e. the Compact Disc (co-developed with Philips).

post #50 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
I like the NAD BEE series of cd players, I just wished that they were not made in china? Newer Rotel falls into this scheme as well.
To be honest, reliability was never the main selling point of NAD's CD players. Except for that couple of years back in the late 80s when Onkyo was the OEM for NAD's electronics.

At the $300.00 price point, the Yamaha S-300 CD player would be my choice.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022CDS...iABEgIKUvD_BwE
G00dband likes this.

Last edited by ematcion; 06-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.
post #51 of 70 Old 06-12-2018, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc1969 View Post
If something like this had been around back when SACD was in its infancy/adolescence (instead of absurdly priced machines) maybe the format would've taken off.
The Sony DVP-NS500V CD/DVD/SACD player and the Pioneer DV-563A DVD-based universal player were 2 machines that retailed at less than $200.00 back in the early days of SACD.

post #52 of 70 Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Quote:
You guys make me feel better....still have a working MD deck, 2 portable units (one is the 600D that
Plugs into Windows computer and Sonic Stage software) and a 6-disc MD changer in my 93-Trans-Am.

Sonic Stage runs effectively on Windows Vista-when I bought a new computer, I put the Vista in
Storage in case I ever need to rip/burn CD's to MD.

I always enjoyed that format. My son got a big kick out of it, he used to take MD's to parties
And see if anyone knew about the format. About 5 years ago he bought me an iPod-his attempt
To modernize me. LOL

Sorry to get off topic
ct221933 likes this.

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
post #53 of 70 Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL-350 View Post
You can send them to me, I'll pay the shipping

but I have to ask, if you don't use the CD's why do you still have them ?

I would get a dedicated CD player in this price range. What appeals to me most is the panel buttons and display. I have the Sony UDP X800 and I really dislike having to turn on the TV in order to see what is happening.
Hmmm. Send my idle CD’s to you. Dont think so. I still have them cause i paid for them. And they’re downloaded on my lmac for convenience.

The only good thing about CD’s was SACD. And that format never took off. And the NAD don’t do it. My Oppo does. ✌️

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
post #54 of 70 Old 06-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I've got the NAD 758V3 and I think this little unit would pair-up really well with it. The price isn't outrageous and I still have a ton of cd's kicking around. I'll probably buy it.
G00dband likes this.
post #55 of 70 Old 07-13-2018, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I bought one of these NAD 538's and sent it back almost immediately. Think the drive was defective as it squeaked quietly every 4 seconds. Started to hear it over most quiet passages in music. A shame, the 516 it replaced was dead silent in operation.
post #56 of 70 Old 07-13-2018, 06:48 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 718
At this point in time, a CD disc player ought to have digital *inputs* in addition to the outputs, i.e. ability to act as a DAC/use the internal DACs from coax/optical sources at minimum, USB/HDMI audio a bonus.

Should also do SACD and DVD-Audio with 7.1 top notch analog outs, too, to qualify as an audiophile device.
post #57 of 70 Old 07-13-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
At this point in time, a CD disc player ought to have digital *inputs* in addition to the outputs, i.e. ability to act as a DAC/use the internal DACs from coax/optical sources at minimum, USB/HDMI audio a bonus.

Should also do SACD and DVD-Audio with 7.1 top notch analog outs, too, to qualify as an audiophile device.
I don't agree.

"Honey, how do I get Youtube to play on the big stereo?"

"Oh, you have to turn on the CD player and change its input"

It just doesn't make sense to me... Why would you want to have to turn on your CD player for any reason other than to play CDs?

(Edit: I obviously picked that example somewhat randomly but for me personally my PC is in another room but I hook it up with TOSlink for the isolation and because I don't need the additional audio support HDMI would give me as I don't watch movies using the PC - but my overall point is why specifically a CD player to act as an input? I'd rather have a dedicated DAC like an Emotiva XDA series - or use a receiver which is actually a component that is built around the idea of switching your input to the thing you want to listen to)

Last edited by DonoMan; 07-13-2018 at 07:04 AM.
post #58 of 70 Old 07-13-2018, 06:57 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post
I don't agree.

"Honey, how do I get Youtube to play on the big stereo?"

"Oh, you have to turn on the CD player and change its input"

It just doesn't make sense to me... Why would you want to have to turn on your CD player for any reason other than to play CDs?
Catering to the audiophile market, I meant audio-only HDMI in/outs.

For Youtube music playback, any common BD player with apps or Chromecast/Firestick/Roku or Smart TV has analog and/or digital audio out to a receiver.
post #59 of 70 Old 07-20-2018, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post
What's a CD?

Do they still make them...

I am also assuming that most already have a CD player who still have CD's or are sticking with the format.

How many folks are shopping around for a new CD player.

Is it an April fools joke?
In Malaysia, luxury audio show (demoing multi million dollar setup) still gives out Audio CD as a complimentary gift.
post #60 of 70 Old 07-20-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Speaking of basic cd player, how low can the quality of budget DAC be? My dad is still using his 20y.o. Funai CD player (made in Japan), analog outputs to Denon 3312 AVR that powers a set of JBL 3677 speaker. Should I even spend a few hundred dollars on a Marantz CD player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
c 358 , Nad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page