CD player hookup options - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-07-2018, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
CD player hookup options

I’m setting up my new Marantz SR 6012 receiver and have a question regarding connection options for a CD player. I actually have two CD players and am aware of the options this receiver provides. If it matters, both players are of decent quality. I have a Pioneer Elite PD-F17 100 disc player and a Sony C87 ES five disc player. Both have digital (fiber optic) outs and one also has a coax digital out. Is there a sonic advantage (noticeable or not) to connect them this way, as opposed to using the standard (line out)) audio jacks? Thanks for any feedback 😊
soundbuff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 09-07-2018, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Turntable options

Since the Marantz 6012 has a phono input , I’m considering a turntable so I can resurrect my LP collection. My budget is around $300 and have noticed many turntables have their own preamp. If I’m correct in assuming I don’t need such a tt, should I narrow my search to those that don’t have a preamp? I figure this would at least guarantee more solid performance in this price range since a given manufacturer doesn’t have to include this feature, and can focus more on the quality of the platter, tonearm and cartridge. I also know that many of the turntables that do include a preamp have a switch to defeat it.

Any recommendations are welcome as I have never purchased a turntable before. The only one I’ve owned came with a Pioneer rack system back in mid 80’s! Thanks for any and all input.
soundbuff is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 09-07-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbuff View Post
I’m setting up my new Marantz SR 6012 receiver and have a question regarding connection options for a CD player. I actually have two CD players and am aware of the options this receiver provides. If it matters, both players are of decent quality. I have a Pioneer Elite PD-F17 100 disc player and a Sony C87 ES five disc player. Both have digital (fiber optic) outs and one also has a coax digital out. Is there a sonic advantage (noticeable or not) to connect them this way, as opposed to using the standard (line out)) audio jacks? Thanks for any feedback 😊
You should listen and compare them yourself. However...

There should be no sonic difference between optical and coax (RCA) S/PDDIF connections. Using an optical connection does reduce the likelihood of a ground loop or RF interference. Optical connections often have a lower maximum PCM bitrate than direct copper connections have, but that's irrelevant when playing "Redbook" CDs, which are always 16/44.1 with a data rate of about 1.4 Mbits/sec.

There sometimes can be sonic differences between S/PDIF and stereo analog connections depending on the design of the DACs and associated analog circuitry in the CD players compared to those in the receiver. You'd have to use the multichannel analog inputs on the receiver to avoid the receiver's DACs, though. The multichannel inputs completely bypass the receiver's digital processor, thus preventing the use of Audyssey and bass management, so they're usually discouraged in modern A/V environments.

S/PDIF connections can sometimes have jitter (variations in sample time) which some people seem to be able to hear. Using an analog connection does avoid the possibility of hearing that type of distortion.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 09-07-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbuff View Post
Since the Marantz 6012 has a phono input , I’m considering a turntable so I can resurrect my LP collection. My budget is around $300 and have noticed many turntables have their own preamp. If I’m correct in assuming I don’t need such a tt, should I narrow my search to those that don’t have a preamp? I figure this would at least guarantee more solid performance in this price range since a given manufacturer doesn’t have to include this feature, and can focus more on the quality of the platter, tonearm and cartridge. I also know that many of the turntables that do include a preamp have a switch to defeat it.
Whether or not you need an external preamp usually depends on how far the turntable has to be from the receiver. The signal level coming out of a phonograph cartridge is very low and very high impedance. As a result, it's very sensitive to electrical noise pickup. I'd guess that a distance of more than about 6 feet requires a preamp. The distance would be shorter if it's in an electrically noisy environment.
Quote:
Any recommendations are welcome as I have never purchased a turntable before. The only one I’ve owned came with a Pioneer rack system back in mid 80’s! Thanks for any and all input.
Sorry, can't help there. I got rid of all of my records decades ago and am not interested in once more having to fight play with all the mechanical subtleties that are involved in getting the best out of a turntable and vinyl.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 09-07-2018, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks to Selden Ball for your reply. Sounds like I’ll just stick with the optical cables. It’s the way they were hooked up previously and they sounded pretty good to me.
Regarding the turntable question, I’m well within the 6’ distance between the receiver and where the turntable would likely end up. So I’ll likely use the phono input on the Marantz. Btw, I’m assuming the receiver would have a higher quality phono preamp than one that is built into a turntable, wouldn’t it? Anyway, I’ll probably go that route should I actually decide to go through with it. I completely agree with your comment, btw, as I’ve been having the same reservations about going back to vinyl, with all of its intricacies in selecting the perfect stylus, platter, LPs etc. It just seems a waste to still have all my albums in a closet, kept in good condition, and not being used. Anyway, time will tell.

Wanted to ask about your user name (Selden Ball). Anything to do with Selden, Long Island? Used to live in NY, too. Brooklyn born but eventually moved out to Nassau County .Just curious, lol. Thanks again for the feedback😊
soundbuff is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 09-07-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbuff View Post
Thanks to Selden Ball for your reply. Sounds like I’ll just stick with the optical cables. It’s the way they were hooked up previously and they sounded pretty good to me.
Regarding the turntable question, I’m well within the 6’ distance between the receiver and where the turntable would likely end up. So I’ll likely use the phono input on the Marantz. Btw, I’m assuming the receiver would have a higher quality phono preamp than one that is built into a turntable, wouldn’t it?
Maybe. People like to diss the phono inputs provided in receivers, claiming that 3rd party external phono preamps can do much better. Your ears would have to judge that. It'd be easy enough to test since you just have to move the RCA connectors to another input on the receiver and press a button on that particular model of turntable.
Quote:
Anyway, I’ll probably go that route should I actually decide to go through with it. I completely agree with your comment, btw, as I’ve been having the same reservations about going back to vinyl, with all of its intricacies in selecting the perfect stylus, platter, LPs etc. It just seems a waste to still have all my albums in a closet, kept in good condition, and not being used. Anyway, time will tell.

Wanted to ask about your user name (Selden Ball). Anything to do with Selden, Long Island? Used to live in NY, too. Brooklyn born but eventually moved out to Nassau County .Just curious, lol.
Not directly, but the town probably was named for somebody who had that name. This particular spelling is fairly common as a surname but not so much as a given name. In my case, though, it's a "family name" -- one of my (apparently popular, although he died long before I was born) great uncles had that surname. My father was stuck with it as his given name, which then was handed down to me. Other spellings include Seldon and Sheldon. The latter spelling is relatively well known from its use in some TV sitcom or other, I think.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 09-08-2018, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the explanation, bud.😊
soundbuff is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-06-2018, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Airsculpture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: English but in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
CD player hookup options

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbuff View Post
Since the Marantz 6012 has a phono input , I’m considering a turntable so I can resurrect my LP collection. My budget is around $300 and have noticed many turntables have their own preamp. If I’m correct in assuming I don’t need such a tt, should I narrow my search to those that don’t have a preamp? I figure this would at least guarantee more solid performance in this price range since a given manufacturer doesn’t have to include this feature, and can focus more on the quality of the platter, tonearm and cartridge. I also know that many of the turntables that do include a preamp have a switch to defeat it.

Any recommendations are welcome as I have never purchased a turntable before. The only one I’ve owned came with a Pioneer rack system back in mid 80’s! Thanks for any and all input.


The phono stage in the Marantz is only applicable for MM cartridges I think so if you wanted an MC you would need a separate pre amp which would cope with both types.

I would go for either built in on the TT or stand alone external so as to not limit options in the future, again one which would do both types

Must admit it was one of my buying points with the 6012


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012

Last edited by Airsculpture; 10-06-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Airsculpture is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off