• 1 Post By Jeepwalker

post #1 of 3 Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Noise-shaping far inferior?

Hi guys,

I've got a bunch of CD and CD/DVD players kicking around. Among them are few older JVC CD players that use their "1-bit P.E.M D-D Converter" ...essentially 4th order noise shaping as I've read. I've done A-B tests with other DVD/Blu-ray players using CD's, but the newer players didn't necessarily sound far superior. I don't have an audiophile-grade player either. The audio from the older JVC CD via analog out still sounded pretty good with most CD's played. I didn't hear a significant loss of quality, lack of reverb or loss of certain instruments compared to the newer players (again, mid to late 00's) like I thought I might.

Are older players with noise-shaping considered crappy when compared to a newer higher end Oppo or Marantz? I'm speaking in general terms, not trying to eek out the last 5% of audio. For those who have done the tests with older players (late 90's - mid 00's) ...and REALLY tried to hear differences objectively, what did or didn't you hear compared to the audiophile-grade player? And were these differences across the board with all lower priced or older equipment?

Was there a general era when CD players made a quantum leap where one might say "....all players from 'this era and older' are generally poor, and players from 'this era and newer' use newer technology which is audiably superior."?

Thanks,

Jeepwalker

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 10-12-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-14-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwalker View Post
Was there a general era when CD players made a quantum leap where one might say "....all players from 'this era and older' are generally poor, and players from 'this era and newer' use newer technology which is audiably superior."?

Thanks,
The quantum leap (if you can call it that) was back at the dawn of CD players--back in 82/83. The first ones used 14 bit DACs so when they went to 16 bit--viola! There ya go! (strange but true)

Waaaay back in the day, during my mis-spent youth where I would blow a weekend testing stuch things We wanted to know if a 16 vit VS 20 bit VS 1 bit made a difference. The real pissing contest was the uber 20 bit with a zillion times oversampling would "win" over the new 1 bit. The 16 bit was thrown in just to give 3 different things to keep track of. After all that was over, we learned there was no difference between 16, 20 or 1 bit DACs so nobody won the Crown Royal. This did not mean people were not butt hurt--they were but the statistics text book pulled no punches.

After that, discussions about CD players had to do with features, remotes and aesthetics while we were splitting up the bottle of Crown. Granted, this concept was already known but we had to test as does early 20 somethings do on rainy weekends.

Oddly enough, those first generation 14 bit players are "worth" money--then again, cassettes are "back" so don't ask me to explain it.

My newest CD player harkens back to around 2008--it is a professional model used in clubs etc. and sounds like my other CD player from the 90's. These days if I throw a CD in, it goes into the BluRay player in the house and the pro CD player in the garage. Yep, CD players have been banished to the garage. The humanity!

So relax, the technology surpassed humans hearing abilities decades ago--concentrate on features, controls, flexibility, aesthetics and so on. I would get a BluRay personally--might as well gain the flexibility of playing mutliple formats. Good luck!
post #3 of 3 Old 10-14-2018, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Ok, that's great to hear. Great response, thanks. Pretty much parallels what I've found with the mid-line players I have.

I prefer players with as many useful buttons on the front face. Newer DVD players certainly have virtually no buttons and even no display on some. Those are a PITA to use on a daily basis.
18Hurts likes this.

Jeepwalker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page