Looking for streamer with HDMI output - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-13-2018, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Looking for streamer with HDMI output

I've been trying to find a music streamer/transport that includes an HDMI output. I did discover the Pro-Ject Streambox S2 Ultra. This has the features I'm looking for, but boy it's kind of pricey at $700 (US).
Does anyone know of a similar device that's not so expensive?

Thx

LG OLED65B6P
Denon X3400H, KEF LS50. KEF Kube8b, KEF R200c, KEF R50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-14-2018, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Try looking as some blu ray players. They can stream music or play via USB, SMB, DLNA etc. Not much available for streamers below 1000 and I've seen zero till the one you mentioned with HDMI. Someone else asked this question while back, search the threads.

Sony's two 4k blu ray players can play files from a home network. x800 and x1000, the cheaper x700 probably can as well. All with HDMI.

Did you try your Denon? It will play from music servers as well has airplay.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 10-14-2018 at 03:20 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-14-2018, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpro8 View Post
I've been trying to find a music streamer/transport that includes an HDMI output. I did discover the Pro-Ject Streambox S2 Ultra. This has the features I'm looking for, but boy it's kind of pricey at $700 (US).
Does anyone know of a similar device that's not so expensive?

Thx
Have you investigated Roku, AppleTV or Chromecast devices? They stream both audio and video.

Sony's least expensive Blu-ray players can stream audio and video from network sources, too. They typically cost less than $80.

The GUIs of dedicated steremers do tend to be more user-friendly than those of devices where it's a secondary offering. Even so, many people prefer one of the many free and commercial media player options available when using a computer, tablet or smartphone as the interface.

Edited to add:
FWIW, I use an inexpensive laptop connected to my receiver using HDMI and running Kodi. It also has an external Blu-ray player that I use to play CDs and Region 2 (UK) DVDs. Of course, none of these suggestions are "dedicated music transports."

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped

Last edited by Selden Ball; 10-14-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-14-2018, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Try looking as some blu ray players. They can stream music or play via USB, SMB, DLNA etc. Not much available for streamers below 1000 and I've seen zero till the one you mentioned with HDMI. Someone else asked this question while back, search the threads.

Sony's two 4k blu ray players can play files from a home network. x800 and x1000, the cheaper x700 probably can as well. All with HDMI.

Did you try your Denon? It will play from music servers as well has airplay.
I have a dozen albums that were recorded in 5.1 surround sound. While the Denon X3400 can play these files through it's network browser, it has a limitation. It can only recognize and properly decode surround sound when it's coming in via one of it's HDMI ports. So, when I try these flac files via the HEOS interface, they play back as 2 channel.

I hadn't thought of a Sony blu-ray palyer for this. I'll look into this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Have you investigated Roku, AppleTV or Chromecast devices? They stream both audio and video.

Sony's least expensive Blu-ray players can stream audio and video from network sources, too. They typically cost less than $80.

The GUIs of dedicated steremers do tend to be more user-friendly than those of devices where it's a secondary offering. Even so, many people prefer one of the many free and commercial media player options available when using a computer, tablet or smartphone as the interface.

Edited to add:
FWIW, I use an inexpensive laptop connected to my receiver using HDMI and running Kodi. It also has an external Blu-ray player that I use to play CDs and Region 2 (UK) DVDs. Of course, none of these suggestions are "dedicated music transports."
I have looked at the various media players. In fact I'm using a nVidia Shield TV with limited success. I run Kodi on the Shield and it is able to play the 5.1 music files to the Denon's HDMI port and it sounds fantastic. However, to do this I need to have the TV on, as the Shield will not continue to run without an active HDMI device. So, I need to keep my 65" OLED TV running to listen to music. It's just a huge waste of electricity and wear on the TV that I'm trying to avoid.

LG OLED65B6P
post #5 of 8 Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I have a dozen albums that were recorded in 5.1 surround sound. While the Denon X3400 can play these files through it's network browser, it has a limitation. It can only recognize and properly decode surround sound when it's coming in via one of it's HDMI ports. So, when I try these flac files via the HEOS interface, they play back as 2 channel.

I have looked at the various media players. In fact I'm using a nVidia Shield TV with limited success. I run Kodi on the Shield and it is able to play the 5.1 music files to the Denon's HDMI port and it sounds fantastic. However, to do this I need to have the TV on, as the Shield will not continue to run without an active HDMI device. So, I need to keep my 65" OLED TV running to listen to music. It's just a huge waste of electricity and wear on the TV that I'm trying to avoid.
You might consider getting a cheap or used 1080p TV (one that supports only HDMI v1.3 or v1.4) for this type of usage.

Unfortunately, this requirement to have the display turned on seems to be a limitation / bug encountered with HDMI v2.0 (4k uhd) devices. HDMI v1.3 and v1.4 (1080p fhd) devices just have a brief dropout in audio when the TV is turned off. Various attempts to get around this have been discussed in the Receivers forum. For example, when using a 4K Denon or Marantz receiver with dual Monitor outs, sometimes the audio will resume when switching from one Monitor output (with a 4K TV connected to it) to the other (with nothing connected). Then the TV can be turned off. Unfortunately it doesn't always work. Sometimes that switching procedure will work for a while and then it'll stop working.

Selden

post #6 of 8 Old 10-15-2018, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:

Best buy has a 19 in LCD TV with 2 hdmi inputs you could use. It's 69.99. Google smallest LCD and you'll find one that is 13.3 in, at tad more expensive than the 19 in from best buy. The Sony BD players have an app that allows navigation of music I believe. You might also try to pick up a used Oppo 103 player if possible, assuming they are not stratospheric in price.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #7 of 8 Old 10-15-2018, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
You might consider getting a cheap or used 1080p TV (one that supports only HDMI v1.3 or v1.4) for this type of usage.

Unfortunately, this requirement to have the display turned on seems to be a limitation / bug encountered with HDMI v2.0 (4k uhd) devices. HDMI v1.3 and v1.4 (1080p fhd) devices just have a brief dropout in audio when the TV is turned off. Various attempts to get around this have been discussed in the Receivers forum. For example, when using a 4K Denon or Marantz receiver with dual Monitor outs, sometimes the audio will resume when switching from one Monitor output (with a 4K TV connected to it) to the other (with nothing connected). Then the TV can be turned off. Unfortunately it doesn't always work. Sometimes that switching procedure will work for a while and then it'll stop working.
I hadn't thought about using the Denon's 2nd HDMI output for this. So, I did a test with a PC monitor plugged into the Denon's "monitor" port. It works fine. The nVidia Shield stays on with the TV off and just the PC monitor running.

So, I ordered a 7" LCD display from Amazon for $60. I'll program my Logitech Harmony to turn on the Shield and the 7" LCD when I want to listen to the surround music.

Thanks for the idea

LG OLED65B6P
post #8 of 8 Old 10-16-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
I hadn't thought about using the Denon's 2nd HDMI output for this. So, I did a test with a PC monitor plugged into the Denon's "monitor" port. It works fine. The nVidia Shield stays on with the TV off and just the PC monitor running.

So, I ordered a 7" LCD display from Amazon for $60. I'll program my Logitech Harmony to turn on the Shield and the 7" LCD when I want to listen to the surround music.

Thanks for the idea
You're very welcome!

Selden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page