What Mp3 player to buy in 2019? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 01-13-2019, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What Mp3 player to buy in 2019?

I was looking at some other threads where people are asking about buying mp3 players. I also was looking around on Amazon and I decided I better start another thread about this topic.

The Mp3 player that I'm trying to replace is a Sandisk Sansa Clip + They don't make them anymore. The one I currently own is around 7 years old now. Still going but it's getting pretty beat up and I got more music then it can support even with rockbox installed on it. (8,405 songs)

I'm not interested in buying a cell phone for playing back music.

I would like to buy an mp3 player that has some internal memory. My old one has 8 gig. I also would like it to have slot for a Micro SD card. I currently have a blank 64 gig SanDisk Ultra Plus microSDXC UHS-I card which I would like to put to use. The 64 gig card would be enough memory to last me a while if my current player could make use of that much memory but it can't.

The Head phones of choice is: Koss UR40 Collapsible Over-Ear Headphones They do good for me at work.

I want a player that I can just copy my mp3s or ogg files over too from any operating system, without a syncing program like iTunes. Windows, Mac, or Linux.

I don't care if the mp3 player has bluetooth or not. As long as it can connect to a standard small stereo headphone jack like the Koss UR40 has.

The mp3 players I'm currently looking at are.

HIFIMAN MegaMini High-Res Music Player

FiiO_X1 High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation) (Black)

The HIFIMAN MegaMini High-Res Music Player costs more then I want to spend. The FiiO_X1 High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation) (Black) is closer to my price point, but I don't think it will play back ogg files.

I'm also deeply concerned about how these players handle the ID3 tags. I've had some inexpensive players that should be able to handle the ID3 tags but don't. They see them but cut off the song titles, and get things out of order. If I'm going to spend a 100 dollars or more for a player then it better handle the ID3 tags without a hitch. Also it should be able to read the mini card seamlessly with what is on the internal memory. I already own a player that can not.

If you made this far then you deserve a cookie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-14-2019, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 611
What’s your budget ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #3 of 31 Old 01-20-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
What’s your budget ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
$50 - $150 I'm a janitor and my mp3 player spends a lot of time on my cart and around chemicals. And a lot of time in my pocket. It's never been a problem but I don't want to spend more then $150 dollars on something that could get wrecked at work.

What is your opinion about this one?

FiiO M3K Mini HiFi

I'm not sure if it has internal memory or not. And I don't know if it will interface with Linux or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 01-20-2019, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not sure if it has internal memory or not

M3K doesn't have internal storage, and support one micro SD card expansion of up to 400GB. Theoretically it could support up to 2TB.

No experience with the device, but it certainly seems capable for something at the price.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalJake View Post
M3K doesn't have internal storage, and support one micro SD card expansion of up to 400GB. Theoretically it could support up to 2TB.

No experience with the device, but it certainly seems capable for something at the price.
I get a little upset with manufactures that don't know there own products. I asked if it would interface with Linux and this is what I got back:

Code:
Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO.
 1. It is using Linux system.
I don't care if it is running Linux or not. I care if a Linux OS can read and write to it or not.

Here is another example of something they emailed me. I was asking about two other players.

Code:
For X5III,no need to install extra driver. For M9, you may need to install a driver
first. If there are local store in your city, you could  have a try first.
Why don't they know this simple question. Does it work with Linux or not? In fact it isn't even hard for them to test their own players. Just download an ISO file of Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Burn it to a DVD or USB drive. Boot the computer into Ubuntu or Linux Mint, and plug in the player. If it recognizes it it works! If not then it doesn't. Simple!

There is no store in my area that carries these things, if there was I wouldn't be shopping online. grrrr

Last edited by gregoryshock; 01-21-2019 at 08:32 AM.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I have a Fiio X3 that works great with Linux no extra drivers needed.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-27-2019, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
I have a Fiio X3 that works great with Linux no extra drivers needed.
What head phones are you using with that player?
post #8 of 31 Old 01-31-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryshock View Post
What head phones are you using with that player?
Sorry so slow getting back. I'm using a set of in ear phones that have Fiio's name on them but they are actually made by another company that specializes in head phones and whose name I can't remember. Not much help I know. Found them on Amazon when I was looking at the X3ii. When I'm at home I use a set of Grado S 80's.
post #9 of 31 Old 02-02-2019, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 303
how about the new Fiio M6

Matt
post #10 of 31 Old 02-09-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I was looking at some other threads where people are asking about buying mp3 players. I also was looking around on Amazon and I decided I better start another thread about this topic.

The Mp3 player that I'm trying to replace is a Sandisk Sansa Clip + They don't make them anymore. The one I currently own is around 7 years old now. Still going but it's getting pretty beat up and I got more music then it can support even with rockbox installed on it. (8,405 songs)

I'm not interested in buying a cell phone for playing back music.

I would like to buy an mp3 player that has some internal memory. My old one has 8 gig. I also would like it to have slot for a Micro SD card. I currently have a blank 64 gig SanDisk Ultra Plus microSDXC UHS-I card which I would like to put to use. The 64 gig card would be enough memory to last me a while if my current player could make use of that much memory but it can't.

The Head phones of choice is: Koss UR40 Collapsible Over-Ear Headphones They do good for me at work.

I want a player that I can just copy my mp3s or ogg files over too from any operating system, without a syncing program like iTunes. Windows, Mac, or Linux.

I don't care if the mp3 player has bluetooth or not. As long as it can connect to a standard small stereo headphone jack like the Koss UR40 has.

The mp3 players I'm currently looking at are.

HIFIMAN MegaMini High-Res Music Player

FiiO_X1 High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation) (Black)

The HIFIMAN MegaMini High-Res Music Player costs more then I want to spend. The FiiO_X1 High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation) (Black) is closer to my price point, but I don't think it will play back ogg files.

I'm also deeply concerned about how these players handle the ID3 tags. I've had some inexpensive players that should be able to handle the ID3 tags but don't. They see them but cut off the song titles, and get things out of order. If I'm going to spend a 100 dollars or more for a player then it better handle the ID3 tags without a hitch. Also it should be able to read the mini card seamlessly with what is on the internal memory. I already own a player that can not.

If you made this far then you deserve a cookie.
I had a Fiio X3 ii but the wheel stopped working. I just got the Sony NW-A45 for less than $200 and it's been great so far. Much better interface then the Fiio and it sounds great. Listening with Oppo PM-3's and B&W P7's. Used market may also be an option if your budget is lower.
post #11 of 31 Old 02-10-2019, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidave View Post
I had a Fiio X3 ii but the wheel stopped working. I just got the Sony NW-A45 for less than $200 and it's been great so far. Much better interface then the Fiio and it sounds great. Listening with Oppo PM-3's and B&W P7's. Used market may also be an option if your budget is lower.
Is this Sony NW-A45/B the player you bought?

Have you tried copying files to it from Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 Linux?

What is the firmware upgrade process like?
post #12 of 31 Old 02-10-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Is this Sony NW-A45/B the player you bought?

Have you tried copying files to it from Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 Linux?

What is the firmware upgrade process like?
Yes, I bought the Sony NW-A45. The / designates the color, I actually bought the /l which is Moonlit Blue, /B is black.

I have not tried copying files from Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 Linux. I formatted the SD card on the Sony and I transferred music in a file format from a MacBook Air. I just dragged and dropped files and transferred the music as if the Sony A45 was just a drive. I haven't updated the firmware yet.
post #13 of 31 Old 03-07-2019, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidave View Post
Yes, I bought the Sony NW-A45. The / designates the color, I actually bought the /l which is Moonlit Blue, /B is black.

I have not tried copying files from Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 Linux. I formatted the SD card on the Sony and I transferred music in a file format from a MacBook Air. I just dragged and dropped files and transferred the music as if the Sony A45 was just a drive. I haven't updated the firmware yet.
I think that $218.00 dollars for a player is too much for me to spend. If I happen to drop it or get it sprayed by bad chemicals at my custodian job....
post #14 of 31 Old 03-17-2019, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy4U View Post
Well, I guess that most will recommend the most popular brands of mp3's like the Apple iPod Touch. But from my personal experience, I can suggest the SanDisk Clip Jam. It's super low budget and gets the job done. Easy to wear and comfortable.
I owned 4 of them. Currently own 3 of them. Sandisk Clip Jam is a piece of crap! It can not handle mp3 tags. There are character limits that mess things up royally, and that kind of bug shouldn't be in 2018. Personally I wouldn't buy anything Apple unless you don't care about being locked into the Apple Ecosystem. I'm gradually changing my computing life over to Linux. Anything that forces me to sync with itunes is a no no.
Handy4U likes this.
post #15 of 31 Old 03-18-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
I think that $218.00 dollars for a player is too much for me to spend. If I happen to drop it or get it sprayed by bad chemicals at my custodian job....

the a-45 will fit in iPhone 4 sports armbands, like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Tune-Belt-Arm...dp/B00GQ9HWB4/

Strap it to your bicep.
post #16 of 31 Old 03-24-2019, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelsWillTravel View Post
the a-45 will fit in iPhone 4 sports armbands, like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Tune-Belt-Arm...dp/B00GQ9HWB4/

Strap it to your bicep.
You probably have no concept of what a janitor job is like. BTW most people don't. Even strapping it to my bicep is dangerous to the player. I get banged in my arm and on my back almost every day. For me that much money for a player is too much. Besides that who wants to wear a player for 8 hours? Sometimes I want to take mine off and attach it my external speakers located on my cart. It's too bad that Sandisk decided to start making junk. The Sandisk Clip Plus was a good player for my usage. Then they decided to stop making it. Instead of moving forward with the next models. They decided to move backwards. The new players can't handle anything like the old clip plus could, and on top of that you can't even put a custom rom on it like rockbox. Which is what I used to extend the life of my player, once it could no longer read all my music. It looks like I'm just going to haft to take a leap of faith and try something from FiiO even though tech support doesn't even seem to know their own players!
post #17 of 31 Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
$50 - $150 I'm a janitor and my mp3 player spends a lot of time on my cart and around chemicals. And a lot of time in my pocket. It's never been a problem but I don't want to spend more then $150 dollars on something that could get wrecked at work.

What is your opinion about this one?

FiiO M3K Mini HiFi

I'm not sure if it has internal memory or not. And I don't know if it will interface with Linux or not.
I have and love the m3K. I have a 64GB card in the player and the sound was very good. Last week they had a firmware update to the M3K which included a custom Equalizer that has made a huge difference in this player. I was able to add some wight to the low end and leave the already excellent treble alone. I now have perfect sound and for the asking price you will not find a better DAP that just plays music off a card.

Matt
post #18 of 31 Old 04-02-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
I have and love the m3K. I have a 64GB card in the player and the sound was very good. Last week they had a firmware update to the M3K which included a custom Equalizer that has made a huge difference in this player. I was able to add some wight to the low end and leave the already excellent treble alone. I now have perfect sound and for the asking price you will not find a better DAP that just plays music off a card.
What is the procedure used to install the firmware on that player?
post #19 of 31 Old 04-04-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

I finally ordered the FiiO M3K Mini HiFi
mattg3 likes this.
post #20 of 31 Old 04-04-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is the procedure used to install the firmware on that player?
Installing firmware is explained on the fiio site in detail. Your M3K will probably come with newest firmware installed.You can tell by checking if you have a custom equalizer.

Matt
post #21 of 31 Old 04-05-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Installing firmware is explained on the fiio site in detail. Your M3K will probably come with newest firmware installed.You can tell by checking if you have a custom equalizer.
I was going to check out the fiio website, and then I noticed that there is instructions on Amazon.

Code:
FAQ- Technical support for M3K         
  1. How to upgrade the M3K?         

A:Incorrect operation might lead to system crash! Please read carefully
          before upgrading.         

Using Micro SD card to update: Copy the M3K.fw file to the root directory of
the micro SD card (FAT32 format recommended).  
Insert the micro SD card into M3K and hold the volume “+” and power  button
 at the same time until the micro SD card upgrade dialogue pops up  
then the upgrading will begin. It will automatically reboot when the  update
 finishes.         

* Do not rename the firmware file.         
  * Do not create a new folder to  store the firmware file, and please just copy
    the M3K.fw file to the  root directory of your micro SD card.
post #22 of 31 Old 04-05-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thats pretty much it. I put the formatted card into my iMac and dragged the update from fido website into card. Then I put the card into the Fiio and followed instructions. I formatted the card in the M3K first and then took it out and put it into iMac to get the update.

Matt
post #23 of 31 Old 04-24-2019, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thats pretty much it. I put the formatted card into my iMac and dragged the update from fido website into card. Then I put the card into the Fiio and followed instructions. I formatted the card in the M3K first and then took it out and put it into iMac to get the update.
Firmware 1.3.0

mp3 files

I have a question for you. I ran into an problem. You know how a MP3 player is supposed to list the songs by track number? I have one album (that I know of) what won't list by track number. Instead it lists them by the song title. I thought maybe that is just the way this player does this. So I check another Artist and Album, and found out that it listed those songs by tracks. I tried changing the SD cards and loading just the album that is giving me problems. I refreshed the Library and still it ignored the track numbers. I also tried clearing out all of the tags and then retagging the songs. Refresh the Library, and still it ignores the track numbers. I'm out of ideas of what could be wrong. I emailed the company but they haven't gotten back with me yet. Have you experienced this with any of your music?

* The player lists the song "Absence" first. "In Error" should be listed first.

post #24 of 31 Old 04-24-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wish I could help but I never even look at the tracks.All I did with this player was set up all music for random play and each time I turn on the player it continues playing my songs.I did notice a few titles did not have album art but not a problem. Im thinking of getting the more expensive Fiio M11 when it comes out next month to set up an indoor listening area. My M3K is just for on the go random music at beach or gym.

Matt
post #25 of 31 Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wish I could help but I never even look at the tracks.All I did with this player was set up all music for random play and each time I turn on the player it continues playing my songs.I did notice a few titles did not have album art but not a problem. Im thinking of getting the more expensive Fiio M11 when it comes out next month to set up an indoor listening area. My M3K is just for on the go random music at beach or gym.
I never mess with album art. Some is attached to my mp3s and some isn't. Really I should delete all of it. I don't look at a player enough to enjoy album art.

This track issue is something I need to get figured out. I may need to try sending it back.
post #26 of 31 Old 04-26-2019, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 12294
Quote:
Firmware 1.3.0

mp3 files

I have a question for you. I ran into an problem. You know how a MP3 player is supposed to list the songs by track number? I have one album (that I know of) what won't list by track number. Instead it lists them by the song title. I thought maybe that is just the way this player does this. So I check another Artist and Album, and found out that it listed those songs by tracks. I tried changing the SD cards and loading just the album that is giving me problems. I refreshed the Library and still it ignored the track numbers. I also tried clearing out all of the tags and then retagging the songs. Refresh the Library, and still it ignores the track numbers. I'm out of ideas of what could be wrong. I emailed the company but they haven't gotten back with me yet. Have you experienced this with any of your music?

* The player lists the song "Absence" first. "In Error" should be listed first.

Something to try: In your PC's music player look at the metadata for the tracks and compare them to an album that diplays ok. You can then fixup the metadata (if you see a difference). Track numbers are part of the song/track metadata.

You've had too much to think.
post #27 of 31 Old 04-27-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Something to try: In your PC's music player look at the metadata for the tracks and compare them to an album that diplays ok. You can then fixup the metadata (if you see a difference). Track numbers are part of the song/track metadata.
1) All the songs play correctly in my Car from a USB Drive.
2) All the songs play correctly on my 6 year old Sandisk Sansa Clip + Player.
3) I Compared the songs with the songs that do play correctly. I can't see any reason for the difference.

These Play in Correct order.

It was suggested to me that maybe the "-" character was throwing it off. So I removed it.

Unfortunately it made no difference. On top of that I discovered more music doesn't play in order. https://stephanieforryan.bandcamp.com/

Normally what I do is download the music and then I change the tags to the way I want them. But for the sake of this test I tried installing Stephanie's songs without changing the tags, and I got the same result.

Last edited by gregoryshock; 04-27-2019 at 03:38 PM.
post #28 of 31 Old 05-12-2019, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Anyone here try the HiBy R6? It has very good reviews, but are there any operational quirks that have gone unmentioned?
post #29 of 31 Old 05-13-2019, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would wait for the release of the Fiio M11 next month and compare them. The M11 looks like it may be a DAP game changer and cheaper than the R6!
NewAger likes this.

Matt
post #30 of 31 Old 05-13-2019, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I would wait for the release of the Fiio M11 next month and compare them. The M11 looks like it may be a DAP game changer and cheaper than the R6!
That does seem to have everything and more. Even as a person who's worked with computer hardware for more than two decades and has seen technology develop substantially, it still amazes me what can be packed into these little devices.
mattg3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page