Help: Loose RCA jacks on back of player causing hum/buzz - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By holl_ands
  • 1 Post By Graustark

post #1 of 3 Old 02-11-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Help: Loose RCA jacks on back of player causing hum/buzz

Hey Guys,

I have a denon 2900 universal player that I use for CDs via 2-channel analog. I'd been using some pretty tight connecting cables, relocated the player, and after hooking them up again there is a hum/buzz coming from the jacks (circled in picture). The hum/buzz gets louder and lower with the use of the volume knob on the integrated stereo amp the player is hooked up to. I can also very lightly hear the song being played through the hum/buzz. The jacks themselves are a little loose (probably from connecting and disconnecting multiple times - I can feel/see them slightly move in and out when connecting the cables to them). All of the other jacks are tight and do not hum/buzz when I hook cables up to them. There has been a couple times (twice I think) where the sound coming out of the player completely dropped off via the RCA jacks (but there was never a hum/buzz) and If I barely touched the cables on the back of the player near the jacks (basically a light tap) it would fix the problem and the sound would continue as normal, so maybe this problem was just waiting to happen. The hum/buzz also can be heard when the player is off and the integrated stereo amp is on and set on CD (denon 2900). I took the cover and back panel off of the player and looked at the housing of the audio RCA jacks and the ones I normally use are a little loose. I can push them back and forth just a hair within the housing, but everything looks fine. Is that little bit of play causing them to not be grounded, which is causing the hum/buzz? I'm assuming there could be a couple of different things causing this problem, but is there a common remedy/fix I can start with? I would think this problem would be super common (to some extent) and there would be endless forum posts and youtube fix videos about it, but am not coming up with much. Thanks.

Also want to add that when investigating the noise, the player was on and connected to integrated stereo amp which was on, a cd was playing, I could hear the hum/buzz/song all together and when I went to disconnect the audio cables from the player they kind of pulled the jacks outward from the case (probably to where they normally sit) and I got clear normal sound for a second. I tried this a few times and it seemed like if I pulled on the audio cables it would align the jacks to how they normally sit in their housing and I could get clear normal sound until they moved again. I know I could probably just use the front R/L multi-chan RCA jacks next to the ones I'm using or at least the digital outputs, but I'd like to learn how to fix this problem for future reference. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	18
Size:	735.6 KB
ID:	2524268  

Last edited by keith104; 02-11-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Most likely the solder connections need to be reheated with a solder iron....and add a bit more solder.

Hopefully there is a Ground Tab in addition to the Center connection point....if NOT, perhaps there are some screws that need to be tightened to ensure a good Ground connection....

And worst case, replace (or have the factory replace) the Rear Connection Jacks....
keith104 likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-12-2019, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
Most likely the solder connections need to be reheated with a solder iron....and add a bit more solder.

Hopefully there is a Ground Tab in addition to the Center connection point....if NOT, perhaps there are some screws that need to be tightened to ensure a good Ground connection....

And worst case, replace (or have the factory replace) the Rear Connection Jacks....
What holl_ands said. Problems like this are common, especially with consumer equipment. Get the outputs replaced. I haven't seen how they're set up on your Denon, but as equipment ages I've found that shorts and bad connections start to creep in, especially in equipment that isn't designed for frequent switching-out of components.

Something's shorting.
keith104 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page