What High Quality 10 - 20 year old CD Player is Best - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mamasboy
  • 1 Post By Panson
  • 1 Post By Mamasboy

post #1 of 5 Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 69
What High Quality 10 - 20 year old CD Player is Best

I recently started back on vinyl and want to pull some of the 400+ CDs out of long term storage and start listening to them.

I believe I pitched my CD players from the late 80s early 90s last year when we moved thinking I would never play a CD again. Listening to vinyl reminded me of what I have been missing moving to 100% streaming.

So looking for recommendations of a great older CD player that I could buy on Ebay for ~$150 or less. Maybe something that was ~$800 when it was new but can be had cheap now.

I was perfectly happy with my old CD players so something that is an upgrade over what I had 25 years ago should be fine.

I heard that the Sony 715E and Sony 915E are really good but could not find a used one on Ebay.

Other Suggestions?
yanks1 and JA Fant like this.

I feel infinite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-17-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post
I recently started back on vinyl and want to pull some of the 400+ CDs out of long term storage and start listening to them.

I believe I pitched my CD players from the late 80s early 90s last year when we moved thinking I would never play a CD again. Listening to vinyl reminded me of what I have been missing moving to 100% streaming.

So looking for recommendations of a great older CD player that I could buy on Ebay for ~$150 or less. Maybe something that was ~$800 when it was new but can be had cheap now.

I was perfectly happy with my old CD players so something that is an upgrade over what I had 25 years ago should be fine.

I heard that the Sony 715E and Sony 915E are really good but could not find a used one on Ebay.

Other Suggestions?
As you've discovered, easier said than done. Two options to consider. One, put the $150 toward quality entry level brand at Crutchfield. Two, buy a used Sony Blu-ray player, for instance BDP-S360 to BDP-S560.
JA Fant likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #3 of 5 Old 02-17-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
As you've discovered, easier said than done. Two options to consider. One, put the $150 toward quality entry level brand at Crutchfield. Two, buy a used Sony Blu-ray player, for instance BDP-S360 to BDP-S560.
Yes, I thought the market would be flooded with old, great condition CD players. The few nice ones I have tried to find are either beat up our not available used.
JA Fant likes this.

I feel infinite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-02-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post
Yes, I thought the market would be flooded with old, great condition CD players. The few nice ones I have tried to find are either beat up our not available used.

There is a plethora of excellent used CD players in the marketplace. Pioneer Elite or Sony ES will get you started. Keep us posted
post #5 of 5 Old 04-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Reminder that most older CD players had the DAC (older) and analog output only, a newer device will have that and digital out so your receiver or other device that may have a better DAC can do the conversion. May or may not make a difference depending on your speakers and your hearing. So when looking for the older devices the DAC info is what you want to look at.
Plus newer devices also have network connections for streaming which is nice.

Music, more music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page