Digitizing my Album / CD Collection - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-10-2019, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Digitizing my Album / CD Collection

I have roughly 10,000 CD’s and albums (dating back to 60’s) gathering dust. I’d like to digitize many of them, but don’t know where to start. When I finish, I’d like to have:

* Full fidelity versions on a hard drive somewhere
* MP3 versions for devices
* Uploads in the cloud to Amazon or iTunes or ? (Which is better?)
* What else should I want?

Any advice to get this started? Any links available to previous threads I can read?

Thnaks, all!

Last edited by Beicholz; 03-10-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-10-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For your CDs, buy dBpoweramp. Rip the CDs to either FLAC or ALAC (both are lossless) and store on several different hard drives and in the cloud. You can use the dBpoweramp batch converter to convert FLAC or ALAC files to MP3.

There are free rippers available - EAC, iTunes, etc. I have been using dBpoweramp for many years and have never had a reason to regret the purchase.

For cloud storage pick the one you think has a good chance of being around for many years and has the best price/features.
I use pCloud and Dropbox - just a personal choice. I'm sure Amazon storage would work fine.

A thread that might prove useful for your LPs:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...itize-lps.html

Last edited by jagob; 03-10-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-10-2019, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagob View Post
For your CDs, buy dBpoweramp. Rip the CDs to either FLAC or ALAC (both are lossless) and store on several different hard drives and in the cloud. You can use the dBpoweramp batch converter to convert FLAC or ALAC files to MP3.

There are free rippers available - EAC, iTunes, etc. I have been using dBpoweramp for many years and have never had a reason to regret the purchase.

For cloud storage pick the one you think has a good chance of being around for many years and has the best price/features.
I use pCloud and Dropbox - just a personal choice. I'm sure Amazon storage would work fine.

A thread that might prove useful for your LPs:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...itize-lps.html
Just what I needed; thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-11-2019, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beicholz View Post
I have roughly 10,000 CD’s and albums (dating back to 60’s) gathering dust. I’d like to digitize many of them, but don’t know where to start. When I finish, I’d like to have:

* Full fidelity versions on a hard drive somewhere
* MP3 versions for devices
* Uploads in the cloud to Amazon or iTunes or ? (Which is better?)
* What else should I want?

Any advice to get this started? Any links available to previous threads I can read?

Thnaks, all!
I'm not a fan of db poweramp. It didn't recognize many CDs I had and I wasn't going to type song titles in for all the ones it didn't recognize. I went back to using iTunes. Rip in ALAC with iTunes is fine and make sure error correction is on. I did continue to use db poweramp for titles that were HDCD as that retains the extra bit depth.

As far as devices go, if you device is an iPhone you don't need to rerip. iTunes gives you the option of transcoding your files when loading them to the phone at a fixed bit depth. I chose 256 gb. If you have a mac another indispensable program is called XLD. It does file conversions. I use it when I buy a hi rez download from hd tracks. I buy in flac convert to alac 44/16 for iTunes and convert to variable bit rate for the usb drive in my car.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #5 of 5 Old 03-22-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi. I am having the same issues, but my collection is half of yours. Still I was looking for a way to automate the ripping process.

I would suggest looking into ripping into FLAC rather then mp3. Because FLAC is an open format, so format will not suddenly vanish or change or otherwise render your 10.000 cd rip useless in the future. Secondly the lossless FLAC will let you do whatever you like with the files today and in the future. Should a new format for audio come along, you can convert into that format without losing sound quality. If you convert your cd's to mp3, you are pretty much locked into that format. Any changes the future might require will come at a quality loss.

I got great tips in this forum and the dbpoweramp has batch ripping version that can be matched with arcona nimbie usb autoloader. You can stack 100 cd's in the nimbie and it will rip each one and drop out the ripped cd's. Seems like the most affordable automated process for batch ripping cd's.

DBpoweramp got serious meta data and uses 4 different sources to collect metadata for each cd. That way you automatically get the name of the cd, artist, track name, genre and so on for each cd. Important to have well structured and correct tagging of each track so that you easily can search and look up whatever song you feel like playing when the tipping is completed and you feel like making playlists or just look for a few rare tunes.

Look into regain. Regain puts metadata for leveling the volume of each cd so you don't suddenly get really loud music if one of your cd's has higher gain output then the rest. I will make a bash script to automate the regain process, so that you can run the script and it add regain data to each file.

Best of luck with your upcoming project.
Here is my thread you can see all the great tips I got. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/153-c...ing-robot.html

Last edited by downslope; 03-22-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page