Please help with new Denon Turntable DP-400 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-19-2019, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Please help with new Denon Turntable DP-400

Hi All
I purchased a new Denon DP-400 to play vinyl on, and after vigorously setting it up I am having issues with it sounding as it speeds up, and slows down during playback. So just to make sure i didn't mess up anywhere, I started back over from the beginning, ensuring that the belt is properly seated, and everything is level. Then proceeded to adjust, and calibrate the arm etc., but yet it still yields the same result. I tried different records to ensure it wasn't the record itself but again same results. I am very very new to this, so i don't know if this is just a defect or if i'm completely missing something. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Ciao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2019, 05:42 PM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerahF View Post
Hi All
I purchased a new Denon DP-400 to play vinyl on, and after vigorously setting it up I am having issues with it sounding as it speeds up, and slows down during playback. So just to make sure i didn't mess up anywhere, I started back over from the beginning, ensuring that the belt is properly seated, and everything is level. Then proceeded to adjust, and calibrate the arm etc., but yet it still yields the same result. I tried different records to ensure it wasn't the record itself but again same results. I am very very new to this, so i don't know if this is just a defect or if i'm completely missing something. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Ciao
If it actually speeds up and slows down after it comes up to speed, then there is something wrong. Do you have one of those stroboscopic speed indicators?
https://www.google.com/search?q=stro...n0l_kqRvFWERM:

(I hope this link works; if not, just google stroboscopic speed test disc and print the image.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2019, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for replying back to me. Unfortunately I do not, but did find the image and will print it. Now to find a flickering light around my house haha. Once it gets up to speed though you can hear the play back like its an up and down roller coaster, so wasn't sure if I did something wrong or not. Its just not a constant speed. I noticed though after taking the pad off the plater, that there is kind of a wobble to it so I don't know if that is the issue either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2019, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

So I found a video on how to check it, and the speeds are correct on the platter. Unfortunately I'm still getting the same results as before with sound going up, and down. I've looked everywhere to see if I could find more information on what might yield this result but was unable to.

Last edited by SerahF; 03-20-2019 at 03:57 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
So I found a video on how to check it, and the speeds are correct on the platter. Unfortunately I'm still getting the same results as before with sound going up, and down. I've looked everywhere to see if I could find more information on what might yield this result but was unable to.
I'm still not sure what you did. When you say "the speeds are correct", are they constant? In other words, putting the strobe disc on the platter and looking at it using an AC powered light, preferably fluorescent, do the lines stay in the same place, or do they wander back and forth? If they drift in one direction, then the speed is inaccurate, but that's not your problem. If they do not move back and forth but stay fixed or slowly drift in one direction, then your sound should not change. Two of the turntable specifications are "flutter" and "wow". These are speed variations, either fast or slow, and those should be specified by the manufacturer and should be very low for a good turntable. The wobble you mention, could that be a bent or loose spindle? If so, that most likely is your problem and is a defect in the turntable.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
I'm still not sure what you did. When you say "the speeds are correct", are they constant? In other words, putting the strobe disc on the platter and looking at it using an AC powered light, preferably fluorescent, do the lines stay in the same place, or do they wander back and forth? If they drift in one direction, then the speed is inaccurate, but that's not your problem. If they do not move back and forth but stay fixed or slowly drift in one direction, then your sound should not change. Two of the turntable specifications are "flutter" and "wow". These are speed variations, either fast or slow, and those should be specified by the manufacturer and should be very low for a good turntable. The wobble you mention, could that be a bent or loose spindle? If so, that most likely is your problem and is a defect in the turntable.
I apologize for the lack of communication on my part, still new to all this. Yes, they all stayed in the same place using a fluorescent light. As far as the wobble goes, I am not sure but i do believe the platter might be messed up or the spindle as you stated. Another thing i noticed as i was checking the belts and so forth, to ensure everything was correct, as i spun the splatter to check the belts you could kind of feel some resistance in some parts, so maybe i looked at the stroboscopic wrong. I will try to post a vid if i can on here, since I just received it, literally yesterday, i believe i will just send it back.

I want a good turntable with good sound and I know price does play a part in that. I don't mind spending the money if need be, but would like to stay under $700.00 if possible. As I am not sure if there is really anything else I will need. It is currently connected to a Yamaha RX-880.

I know down the road that the cartridge, from what I read can be upgraded on certain receivers, so I do plan on purchasing one but would like something that has a nice quality sound, clarity, but is also easy to operate. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I apologize for the lack of communication on my part, still new to all this. Yes, they all stayed in the same place using a fluorescent light. As far as the wobble goes, I am not sure but i do believe the platter might be messed up or the spindle as you stated. Another thing i noticed as i was checking the belts and so forth, to ensure everything was correct, as i spun the splatter to check the belts you could kind of feel some resistance in some parts, so maybe i looked at the stroboscopic wrong. I will try to post a vid if i can on here, since I just received it, literally yesterday, i believe i will just send it back.

I want a good turntable with good sound and I know price does play a part in that. I don't mind spending the money if need be, but would like to stay under $700.00 if possible. As I am not sure if there is really anything else I will need. It is currently connected to a Yamaha RX-880.

I know down the road that the cartridge, from what I read can be upgraded on certain receivers, so I do plan on purchasing one but would like something that has a nice quality sound, clarity, but is also easy to operate. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you.
Did you buy this new? It seems to me that it is clearly defective. I recently bought a Pro-Ject TT from a local dealer and they helped me set it up at no extra charge. I wouldn't have gotten that service from BB (which had a similar model at the same price!).
post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

The Denon turntable you have has one feature that I like which many of the turntables don't have anymore and all the expensive turntables don't have it anymore. That is, it has auto return in that when the album is over, the arm will lift up and return it to the arm holder. I actually think that is your problem. I purchased a nice turntable and was furious that it didn't have auto return. So, I bought the Denon because it was one of just a few models with this feature. The turntable is junk. I took it into Best Buy to get some assistance and we played it along side a $99 Sony turntable that also had auto return. The Sony sounded much better and had no auto return issues. But as the Denon would approach the end, it would get "wound up or binded up" and therefore would slow down right before the arm lifted to return to stop. I didn't want to put a $99 Sony turntable in my system and so I decided that I would have to do without the auto return feature. I currently have a MUSIC HALL USB-1 turntable. MUSIC HALL turntables are amazing turntables. The USB-1 is a cheaper one that lets you convert albums to digital files on your computer. What made this turntable cheap was the stock cartridge it came with. But the turntable is great quality. It looks like an $800 turntable at least. Very impressive quality finish. It does have a big orange alignment light. I bought mine with an Ortofon cartridge which made the cheap turntable much better. The record player is the best sounding record player I've ever owned. You can get a MUSIC HALL USB-1 for less than you paid for your Denon. You're paying for the Denon name which frankly isn't that good anymore. Get a MUSIC HALL with a good cartridge and you'll be happy!
post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Did you buy this new? It seems to me that it is clearly defective. I recently bought a Pro-Ject TT from a local dealer and they helped me set it up at no extra charge. I wouldn't have gotten that service from BB (which had a similar model at the same price!).
Yes I did buy it new, it was purchased from Amazon so I shouldn't have a problem returning it since it is clearly defective. I have seen the Project TT mentioned on many reviews as being a really good turntable, as you stated. Even some suggesting you change the cartridge and get an even better TT.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
The Denon turntable you have has one feature that I like which many of the turntables don't have anymore and all the expensive turntables don't have it anymore. That is, it has auto return in that when the album is over, the arm will lift up and return it to the arm holder. I actually think that is your problem. I purchased a nice turntable and was furious that it didn't have auto return. So, I bought the Denon because it was one of just a few models with this feature. The turntable is junk. I took it into Best Buy to get some assistance and we played it along side a $99 Sony turntable that also had auto return. The Sony sounded much better and had no auto return issues. But as the Denon would approach the end, it would get "wound up or binded up" and therefore would slow down right before the arm lifted to return to stop. I didn't want to put a $99 Sony turntable in my system and so I decided that I would have to do without the auto return feature. I currently have a MUSIC HALL USB-1 turntable. MUSIC HALL turntables are amazing turntables. The USB-1 is a cheaper one that lets you convert albums to digital files on your computer. What made this turntable cheap was the stock cartridge it came with. But the turntable is great quality. It looks like an $800 turntable at least. Very impressive quality finish. It does have a big orange alignment light. I bought mine with an Ortofon cartridge which made the cheap turntable much better. The record player is the best sounding record player I've ever owned. You can get a MUSIC HALL USB-1 for less than you paid for your Denon. You're paying for the Denon name which frankly isn't that good anymore. Get a MUSIC HALL with a good cartridge and you'll be happy!
Thank you for the information. I do like the automatic return feature, as I tend to be working or focusing on other projects, but love listening to music. If getting a better quality TT means not having the automatic return, then it is just a habit I will have to get into which is not a bad thing, especially since I'm just now getting into it. I will definitely check out the Music HALL TT as well, I have also seen great reviews on it as well.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Here are a couple I have been looking at: Any thoughts, Pros, Cons, again I am very new to this. Also, I've seen some people asking if they need a phono amp, is that something that I need or will my receiver be fine. Thanks again.

Audio-Technica AT-LP7
Yamaha TT-S303
Rega RP3 (little over my budget, but if i have to I will)
PROJECT DEBUT CARBON ESPRIT
Music Hall MMF 5.1
U-Turn Audio - Orbit Special Turntable
post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Here are a couple I have been looking at: Any thoughts, Pros, Cons, again I am very new to this. Also, I've seen some people asking if they need a phono amp, is that something that I need or will my receiver be fine. Thanks again.

Audio-Technica AT-LP7
Yamaha TT-S303
Rega RP3 (little over my budget, but if i have to I will)
PROJECT DEBUT CARBON ESPRIT
Music Hall MMF 5.1
U-Turn Audio - Orbit Special Turntable
My Music Hall turntable is a cheaper model than the MMF 5.1, but not really. You can get the lower model, put a better cartridge on it, and you'll have an amazing turntable without breaking the bank. My Music Hall model has it's own internal phono amp with an on or off switch. My current receiver, a Sony ES STR-ZA5000ES sadly has no phono output which is insane for a $3000 receiver. I just bought a new Yamaha flagship receiver which does have an independent phono output with amp. On my Sony ES, obviously I'm using the Music Hall internal phono amp. I've used internal amps from turntables before and I've purchased plug-in external phono amps before and I wasn't happy with either one. I was just blown away at how well the Music Hall performed using it's own internal amp. Not too high or not too low. Volume wasn't exaggerated or deducted. Detail was just amazing. I couldn't be more happy. Now with the new Yamaha receiver I'll have to turn off the Music Hall internal amp and use the Yamaha phono amp and if it doesn't sound as good, I plan to move the turntable to a regular output and use the internal Music Hall phono amp.

I know nothing about the U-Turn Audio model. I've had Yamaha turntables and wasn't impressed. The Project Debut turntables are more for hobbyists. You are paying for the looks. The Rega RP3 is a good turntable but again you are paying for the name and look. I demoed the Rega and it didn't sound any better than my Music Hall turntable. I really don't think you need to spend as much money as you're looking to spend. The Denon you have is more than my Music Hall and the Music Hall blows it away. If you were happy with the Denon sound, excluding it speeding up and down, then get the cheap Music Hall USB-1 and put a good Ortofon cartridge on it. I think your Denon turntable was offered with different Ortofon cartridges new in the box. Did you get a certain Ortofon cartridge or did you just get the stock cartridge? If you got the Denon with an Ortofon cartridge, then just get the Music Hall with the same cartridge and you should be happy. I would stay away from the Audio Technica turntables as they aren't what they used to be. If you really want the auto return feature, there are some good used turntables out there on eBay. If you get a used turntable and then got a new cartridge for it, you should be good to go as well. But I like the sound of my Music Hall so much that I've decided I'll live with the lack of auto return.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-05-2019, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

After trying several turn tables, I ended up with the Audio-Technica AT-LP7. I did try the music hall but the metal platter just didn't seem right, especially at the price point. It was very nice, and the quality was good, but after unboxing the Audio-Technica AT-LP7 there was definitely a difference. The platter is solid, with a very nice feel. There is absolutely no hum, and you can tell the quality is definitely there. I have been enjoying it now for a week, and do have to say the sound quality is superb, and I do like the fact that you are able to adjust the height of the arm along with the other adjustments. I am very happy with my purchase, and would recommend this to anyone who is trying to stay under a 1k, and I think you are getting much more with the Audio-Technica at its price point than you would with something more exp. Again, this is just my opinion.

With that being said, I do want to thank everyone for their opinions and assistance through this purchase, and want to state how positive everyone on the AVS forum is when it comes to purchases, and supporting everyone.

Ciao!!! ♥♥♥

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page