Technics SL-PD8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-08-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Technics SL-PD8

I recently purchased this CD player and it is awesome, I have no problems with it.

That being said, I was hoping one of you gurus would be able to answer 1 question I have. In addition to the CD player, i also have a turntable, cassette deck and a tuner attached to my amp (Technics SU-V2). Oh, I also have a Technics "Space Dimension Controller" hooked up using the amp's tape loop so all components go through it.

My question is as follow; Why does the CD play a lot louder than all of the other components? I can barely raise the volume pass 2, while with the other sources I can get to 5 or 6. It sounds great and there's no distortion that I can tell but it's just so much louder.

Any insight is a appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-08-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 4262
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro21 View Post
I recently purchased this CD player and it is awesome, I have no problems with it.

That being said, I was hoping one of you gurus would be able to answer 1 question I have. In addition to the CD player, i also have a turntable, cassette deck and a tuner attached to my amp (Technics SU-V2). Oh, I also have a Technics "Space Dimension Controller" hooked up using the amp's tape loop so all components go through it.

My question is as follow; Why does the CD play a lot louder than all of the other components? I can barely raise the volume pass 2, while with the other sources I can get to 5 or 6. It sounds great and there's no distortion that I can tell but it's just so much louder.

In many cases the CD's are recorded at a higher compression rate. If you notice Remastered on your CD case it means it was recorded w/more compression. Welcome to the loudness wars. Both tape and records are limited in the amount of compression that can be recorded on their formats.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-10-2019, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
In many cases the CD's are recorded at a higher compression rate. If you notice Remastered on your CD case it means it was recorded w/more compression. Welcome to the loudness wars. Both tape and records are limited in the amount of compression that can be recorded on their formats.
Thanks that makes sense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro21 View Post

Different components output different levels, to be sure.

But I can think of no reason a CD player can't be played louder than "2". So I doubt very much this is strictly the loudness wars.

You might google your CD player and see if anyone else is having the same problem. If they are, you might get some answers. If they aren't then you might have a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page