• 2 Post By glangford
  • 1 Post By PlanetAVS

post #1 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CD player vs usb flash drive

Was just wondering. I don't have a cd player, but I was wondering if I really need one.

Currently, I just stream music, either through YouTube videos, or from the pandora app on roku, but I figured that either of those methods will likely never give the same audio quality as a higher resolution audio source.

I'm curious if it's possible to get high quality audio from a flash drive plugged into the front of the receiver, or do you really need to have a quality cd player with original, professionally developed CD's to get a good high quality audio through a home theater system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-07-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Sure, a flash drive with WAV files will sound as good as a CD player. WAVs take up a lot of space though. Alternately, it’s generally considered that 320 kps mp3’s are indistinguishable from WAVs.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 14 Old 07-07-2019, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. That's great to know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-07-2019, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 456
I have, and use, both ways depending on the situation. 750 cd's on a flash drive and a Yamaha 5 disc player. If I need to hear one thing in particular quick, I would use the flash drive to find and play it. Other times it's pick 5 discs off the shelves and just hit random and be done with it. Sound difference? Maybe the cd player just sounds better because it is physical and now you're not constantly pushing a button. Actually can listen and focus better not being preoccupied?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-08-2019, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB553 View Post
Was just wondering. I don't have a cd player, but I was wondering if I really need one.

Currently, I just stream music, either through YouTube videos, or from the pandora app on roku, but I figured that either of those methods will likely never give the same audio quality as a higher resolution audio source.

I'm curious if it's possible to get high quality audio from a flash drive plugged into the front of the receiver, or do you really need to have a quality cd player with original, professionally developed CD's to get a good high quality audio through a home theater system?
Use FLAC or ALAC. The files are lossless and data compressed so they are smaller file sizes than WAV. With a 256 GB flash drive pretty dirt cheap there is no reason to compress files to MP3.
DonoMan and drh3b like this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #6 of 14 Old 07-08-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 403
A USB flashdrive will sound better than a CD as long as the music is encoded in either .aiff or .wav. The reason it sounds better is that you are playing exclusively a digital file and you don't have to deal with the laser mechanism, laser or other mechanisms that introduce noise. I prefer .aiff because it comes with cover art whereas .wav does not. Under no circumstances would I use mp3 or any codec that compresses the digital file.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-08-2019, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

What's the best music download site where you can get files in those formats? Been awhile since I've used music sites, last I remember, everything was mp3.

I do have a subscription to amazon prime which, I believe, comes with access to amazon music. Has anyone had good experiences with that service?
post #8 of 14 Old 07-09-2019, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
What's the best music download site where you can get files in those formats? Been awhile since I've used music sites, last I remember, everything was mp3.

I do have a subscription to amazon prime which, I believe, comes with access to amazon music. Has anyone had good experiences with that service?
Aside from ripping yourself the CD, try HD tracks. Files are high rez, and you can specify the format (AIFF, FLAC, ALAC etc). You don't have to buy the high rez version, most can also be bought at normal cd 44/16. Don't know of others but I'm sure they exist. I generally prefer to buy the CD, then rip and store the cd. You might try surfing computeraudio.com, that forum may have a list of download sites or Steve Hoffman Music forum.

This site has a list of quality downloads available. The one they don't list is the Onkyo store. But be careful a lot of their stuff is MQA, but they also sell the regular versions.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/...ding-hd-music/

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 07-09-2019 at 09:36 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If you go to the trouble of ripping your cds and putting the files on a flash drive, you may want to consider the format your car will read, since many new cars don't have cd players. One of my cars will only read MP3, unfortunately, so I have two sets of flash drives.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
7digital is another good lossless and high resolution music download site with a wide selection. They have a great support staff that will refund you for any significant problem that may arise.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 525
post #12 of 14 Old 07-14-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
...amazon music. Has anyone had good experiences with that service?
I've had great experience with Spotify and Apple Music, so you should definitely try the Amazon setup. Apparently they stream at 256kbps VBR* which should sound fine. Seems you could download stuff as well
https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=15730321011
"Prime Music...Play music on all your favorite devices and download to play offline." NOT computers, but do you have a smartphone? Anyway, before starting a lot of messing around with USB, I'd try the Amazon Prime since you already have it.

*This means 256 KiloBit Per Seconds, Variable Bit Rate. Hardly anyone can tell the difference versus pure CD except on really good systems under controlled conditions. Even if this quality level may not be mathematically the same as CD, the sound is very musical, not like the original complaints about MP3 (which was like 128kbps back in the day, and that does sound bad).
post #13 of 14 Old 07-14-2019, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1896 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Also consider Tidal and Qobuz, who have lossless/high resolution streaming plans. Amazon is rumored to be working on a lossless service for this fall as well.
whiteboy714 likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-14-2019, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Amazon is rumored to be working on a lossless service for this fall as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually have their own lossless codec. I hate that company with a passion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page