• 1 Post By saihager

post #1 of 4 Old 10-08-2019, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Denon DCM-460 upgrade

Hello:
Back in the late '80's I bought a Denon DCM-460 (DCM=5 disc)CD player which back around '88 or '89 I thought sounded pretty good...fast forward to today and I still have, and use it: I suppose it still sounds good but I'm also guessing all the inside electronics have aged and lost their values somewhat that it doesn't sound as when new. I'm aware these are no longer made,and they had DCM 300, 400, 500 series but I don't know what they made after the 400-500 series, or if the 400-500 was back then their top line; when I called Denon, they were not much help only saying it's no longer made and said to look at DCD800NE (I'd really not want a single disc). What I'm trying to find out is before Denon stopped making their last model multi disc player they surely must have made great improvements since the 400-500 series came out...when did they stop making multi disc DCM players, and what model might that be, and was it really an upgrade to the older400-500 series.
Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-09-2019, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by saihager View Post
Hello:
Back in the late '80's I bought a Denon DCM-460 (DCM=5 disc)CD player which back around '88 or '89 I thought sounded pretty good...fast forward to today and I still have, and use it: I suppose it still sounds good but I'm also guessing all the inside electronics have aged and lost their values somewhat that it doesn't sound as when new. I'm aware these are no longer made,and they had DCM 300, 400, 500 series but I don't know what they made after the 400-500 series, or if the 400-500 was back then their top line; when I called Denon, they were not much help only saying it's no longer made and said to look at DCD800NE (I'd really not want a single disc). What I'm trying to find out is before Denon stopped making their last model multi disc player they surely must have made great improvements since the 400-500 series came out...when did they stop making multi disc DCM players, and what model might that be, and was it really an upgrade to the older400-500 series.
Thank You
Denon doesn't make a multi disc player anymore. Yamaha and Onkyo do. They are for sale at crutchfield.com You might consider a single disc player, but one that will play songs from a USB drive. If you rip you CDs to digital files and then just plug them in and play from USB. You and have a 500 disc player then as some players allow as large as a TB or more size usb device be plugged in.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 4 Old 10-10-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5341 Post(s)
Liked: 3850
Quote:
Originally Posted by saihager View Post
I suppose it still sounds good but I'm also guessing all the inside electronics have aged and lost their values somewhat that it doesn't sound as when new.
In my opinion if there is no detectable degradation to the sound, which is how I read your post, and assuming the unit works and has all the features you want, there is no reason to replace it.

Note: scaremongers trying to sell new gear often invoke scary stories about how the electrolytic capacitors inside electronic gear degrade/dry out/leak over time, hence you "need to replace gear" because "It is just about to have catastrophic failure" or "Well, you may not notice a sound degradation now, but any day now you will". Don't fall for it. While it is true some capacitors in some gear can fail this does not mean all do. Also better brands like Denon often last for many, many decades without discernible change, which according to your post would include yours.

Much more likely to degrade over the years are mechanical, moving parts such as the rubber belts which propel the spinning platter (assuming it is not direct drive) or ones used for other functions. Motors themselves also eventually fail. But again, if the unit seems to work I wouldn't worry about it.
Ovation likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-13-2019, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
In my opinion if there is no detectable degradation to the sound, which is how I read your post, and assuming the unit works and has all the features you want, there is no reason to replace it.

Note: scaremongers trying to sell new gear often invoke scary stories about how the electrolytic capacitors inside electronic gear degrade/dry out/leak over time, hence you "need to replace gear" because "It is just about to have catastrophic failure" or "Well, you may not notice a sound degradation now, but any day now you will". Don't fall for it. While it is true some capacitors in some gear can fail this does not mean all do. Also better brands like Denon often last for many, many decades without discernible change, which according to your post would include yours.

Much more likely to degrade over the years are mechanical, moving parts such as the rubber belts which propel the spinning platter (assuming it is not direct drive) or ones used for other functions. Motors themselves also eventually fail. But again, if the unit seems to work I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank You
m. zillch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page