Hi-res audio playback and streaming-Note 9 or LG V30/40/50? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-24-2019, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi-res audio playback and streaming-Note 9 or LG V30/40/50?

Hi,
I listen to hi-res audio files bought and downloaded from hd tracks, but also stream Tidal MQA files. I currently use either my iphone 7 plus, using usb 3 adapter connected to a usb DAC wired to the main amp, or the Essential phone ph1, through the same DAC.

I’m mindful of not wanting this thread to descend into an argument over the merits or otherwise of MQA, as so many threads have in other places, I genuinely want some advice in my specific issue.

i am considering making the jump back from iPhone to Android again, let’s not argue about that issue either, and had been looking at the Note 9, not the 10, as 5g is not an issue for me where I live, and I can get a good deal used. Reading different reviews I found out that the LG phones from the V30-V50 have a very good quad DAC on board that seems to be well thought of, and is MQA compatible.

My main audio use case with the phone will be :

1- Stream Tidal MQA connected to wi-fi and external DAC at home.
2- Play back FLAC files bought from HD Tracks, at home with external DAC.
3- Bluetooth streaming in-car. Wired probably not an option.
4- Streaming music on the go, don’t have hi-res wired headphones.

i had initially thought the LG must be a better option with its quad DAC, and MQA unfolding but there are many other features of the note that would be better for me such as the s-pen functionality, Samsung Dex, bigger battery etc. So I am unsure which way to jump.As I understand it, the Android app for Tidal now unfolds the MQA file anyway, just as my iPhone does.

I’m now wondering when I am connecting via usb to an external DAC to play my hi-res audio anyway, is there any need for me to sacrifice the extra features of the note 9 to get the LG with a DAC that I probably won’t actually be using. Also, I’m hearing that there are some extra audio settings in the Note 9, like Atmos etc, that might actually make the lossy bluetooth stream in the car sound a bit better.

i wonder if there are any other Tidal users, maybe who have the Note 9 who could give me some advice as to whether the Note would work for my use case or whether an LG would be better. The only time I might want to play Hi Res audio away from my main DAC is very rarely in the study, but I guess I could buy a small headphone DAC to put between the phone and amp, or use the PC.

i appreciate any advice or help anyone can give.
Thanks
Duncan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-25-2019, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Looks like you answered your question already
LG indeed has a very good DAC but if you need the additional features of the Note and don’t like its sound quality, an external DAC is the way to go.

Maybe this link is of use:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-reviews.8184/

You will find the LG, portable DACs and USB-C to 3.5 dongles
post #3 of 3 Old 11-26-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseval View Post
Looks like you answered your question already
LG indeed has a very good DAC but if you need the additional features of the Note and don’t like its sound quality, an external DAC is the way to go.

Maybe this link is of use:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-reviews.8184/

You will find the LG, portable DACs and USB-C to 3.5 dongles
I have the v30 and still love it for music and as a phone. If you must have the features of the Samsung, here is a cheap on the go dac...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...term=usb%20dac

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
hi-res audio , mqa , tidal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page