Why are CD players so expensive? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 03-08-2020, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Out of all the mentioned streaming services here, only Apple Music and Google Play Music (soon to be obsolete) give you the option to upload your existing music to the cloud and access it on-the-go from different devices. Unless you have a car equiped with a CD player and all you do is drive around with an entire CD collection in your trunk, I really don't see myself walking around with a discman, or burning playlists to a CD with the songs I like. I do care about sound quality, but there's only so much I'm willing to sacrifice until it just becomes ridiculous, not to mention questionable as to how much difference I can actually hear and if a 256 kbps file affects my enjoyment and immersiveness into the music compared to a 1411 kbps file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzydizzyJF69
With Tidal, for example, you can download songs to your phone over your home Wi-Fi for example, and then listening to them offline when you are out and about if you don't have a lot of data.
Sadly you're not able to download individual songs from an album. On TIDAL you only have an option to download the entire album. Alternatively, you can create a playlist with favorite songs, then download the playlist. On Apple Music this is not the case as you can download only the songs you want, choose to add it to your library, or add a song to a playlist without adding it to your library.

At the end of the day, I would not be putting my money towards CD equipment and CDs as was once the case. If you still care about owning music, purchasing music from online stores such as HDtracks would be a wiser decision. Investing money towards audio equipment will also have a bigger impact on music listening experience. Then, using a music streaming service that fits your ecosystem to discover new music, unless you're done with 21st century music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z
Ended up getting a sony 5 disk carousel off marketplace (used) for a ridiculously low price. Thanks.
That basically ends the discussion. Enjoy your music @Bill97Z
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
I used to think like that about music subscriptions, that it's a waste of money, and yes it does cost some in my case Tidal $20/month or about 1 and a half CD purchase a month. The service let's me to sample millions of songs in CD quality or "better" and yes I can download any of them individually or entire albums in that quality I choose. Furthermore I can still buy my own music there is nothing stopping me it's not like I can't have both. The convenience and the fact that I discover a ton of "new" music is alone worth the price. I have Pioneer Elite CD player from 1995, along with several BD and UHD players that can play CD's too, but I use them maybe twice a year, for that duty since most of my CD's are ripped to my computer lossless and I can stream them at any time, or take them with me since I have a 400gb SD card in my phone . Same goes for my car it has a USB input for a thumb drive for playing back lossless files, even though it does have a CD player too.
CruelInventions and JA Fant like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #33 of 44 Old 04-28-2020, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Seems I started a bit of a rumpus with my streaming comment earlier in the thread. I enjoy the convenience of it to be honest - plus as some other people have said, I can try out loads of new music that I might not have if it wasn't for this convenience. Also when you get into looking at streaming - you can stream over wireless on some pretty good quality kit - the iFi Pro iDSD being one that came to my attention recently.

I also happened to see this on their YouTube channel this morning. Wowzers! Pretty funky. Further investigation needed me thinks.

https://youtu.be/uPgctOfUPOI

JA Fant likes this.

Love my family, love audio, have a thing for fizzy sweets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 06-20-2020, 08:11 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Replace it with a blueray player. Playing video and audio requires a much tighter control of its clocking frequency and DACs then a CD player with much less jitter.
CruelInventions and JA Fant like this.

AVR Yamaha RX-A 3060/ RX-V 1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
post #35 of 44 Old 06-21-2020, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I haven’t owned a CD player for years but do have three Oppo BD players, a BDP-93, BDP-103 and a UDP-203. Even with those I rarely use the actual CD media unless I want to listen to an SACD or DVD Audio Disc.

I save all my CD’s as Apple Lossless in iTunes and for devices with USB playback support, save those Lossless Apple files as FLAC 48000Hz. It’s just so much more convenient while maintaining what I expect is identical quality. I am saving multiple Albums, around 6000 songs and a number of Playlists. I still find myself preferring a copy of the CD which I immediately copy even as my wife and kids have moved on to streaming long ago.

I do use an Oppo HA-1 in my main 2 channel system and that may overcome some of the weaknesses of using a phone for playback. "The HA-1 is compatible with the latest iPod, iPhone and iPad to be used as the digital audio output accessory of these devices. By tapping directly into the digital audio signal of these devices and converting the audio to analog using the high performance SABRE32 Reference DAC, music from your favorite portable device will sound its best."
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by GeorgeHolland; 06-21-2020 at 12:30 PM.
post #36 of 44 Old 06-22-2020, 08:12 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post
I hear what you are saying, but I've seen bluray players for 30-50 bucks and have to think those are more complex and costly to make than just a CD player. I am looking for a used one from the 90's. Can't beat the specs and the build quality. Mine lasted over 20 years.
Plus you're comparing low end all plastic BluRay players with a high end CD player/changer.

There are high end BluRay players that are hundreds-thousand dollars (Oppo 205, Panasonic UB820-1000, Pioneer UHD, etc)

Whether an expensive disc player reads discs "better" (CD/DVD/BluRay) and/or the digital output is any "better" via coax/optical/HDMI vs a low cost disc player is a topic for another debate (and forum posts over the past ~20+ years)
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 06-23-2020 at 05:51 AM.
post #37 of 44 Old 06-23-2020, 05:50 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

To answer the OP question, a higher quality CD player may have better build quality (Metal vs plastic), and higher quality components- power supply, DAC chip(s), analog output stage (better caps, more discrete components) vs BPC (black plastic crap)

If using an external DAC/processor/receiver via digital (Coax/optical/HDMI), then the analog components on the player don't matter.
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 06-23-2020 at 06:06 AM.
post #38 of 44 Old 06-23-2020, 05:53 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Replace it with a blueray player. Playing video and audio requires a much tighter control of its clocking frequency and DACs then a CD player with much less jitter.
Plus you will get Ethernet/wifi and top common A/V apps (Youtube, Vudu, Amazon, Netflix, Pandora/Spotify/etc) depending on model. Also ability to play audio/video files from a network drive/USB, also depending on model.
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 06-24-2020 at 05:26 AM.
post #39 of 44 Old 06-24-2020, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Based on my experience I would prefer to not use a DVD or Blu-ray player for music. In our theater room we have a Denon DVD player, a Sony DVD player, a Sony DVD changer, a Sony BD player, and a Samsung BD player. All are hooked up and ready for use. (No 4K players because our theater room uses a plasma display.)

Used as transports via HDMI (with all audio processing turned off), each has its own mix of sonic virtues and deficiencies when listening to music. While all are OK in the bass department, problems are quite audible in the upper midrange and treble. None have the smoothness of a good CD player transport, for example. All have some degree of harshness in the upper mids, ranging from horrible to barely acceptable. The worst by far is the Sony DVP-S6500. The best, and the only one I could live with for music use if I had to choose, is the Samsung BD-H5900 (or a Samsung BD-F5700, which is in a different AV system). But none of them performs as well as the transports in the several CD players we use, such as Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo, and Harman/Kardon (connected via coaxial or optical cables).

In short, one cannot assume any DVD or Blu-ray player will sound great playing music if it is connected to an outboard DAC.
JA Fant likes this.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #40 of 44 Old 06-24-2020, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
Based on my experience I would prefer to not use a DVD or Blu-ray player for music. In our theater room we have a Denon DVD player, a Sony DVD player, a Sony DVD changer, a Sony BD player, and a Samsung BD player. All are hooked up and ready for use. (No 4K players because our theater room uses a plasma display.)

Used as transports via HDMI (with all audio processing turned off), each has its own mix of sonic virtues and deficiencies when listening to music. While all are OK in the bass department, problems are quite audible in the upper midrange and treble. None have the smoothness of a good CD player transport, for example. All have some degree of harshness in the upper mids, ranging from horrible to barely acceptable. The worst by far is the Sony DVP-S6500. The best, and the only one I could live with for music use if I had to choose, is the Samsung BD-H5900 (or a Samsung BD-F5700, which is in a different AV system). But none of them performs as well as the transports in the several CD players we use, such as Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo, and Harman/Kardon (connected via coaxial or optical cables).

In short, one cannot assume any DVD or Blu-ray player will sound great playing music if it is connected to an outboard DAC.
These are assertions built upon flawed experimental design evidence.

I know you vehemently disagree. That's fine.

Not looking to start another debate on the subject, as we've both been down this road before. I just wanted to provide a counter for the record within this thread.

We can agree to disagree and just leave it at that, as there are tons of threads exploring this topic in much greater detail and length over the last decade plus here on the AVS Forum.

Have a good night.
JA Fant likes this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #41 of 44 Old 06-24-2020, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
These are assertions built upon flawed experimental design evidence.
No, I did not conduct double-blind tests--to which you are referring--on the players mentioned. I listened critically and provided some specifics on what I heard. On the other hand, nobody on AVS has conducted level-matched DBTs on DVD, BD, or CD players in their homes and provided results on specific brands and models they purchased, including you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Not looking to start another debate on the subject, as we've both been down this road before. I just wanted to provide a counter for the record within this thread.
A useful counter to my sighted listening tests would be the results from your own DBTs of players. If you have "experimental design evidence" on players you own or the models I own, please post the findings.
JA Fant likes this.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #42 of 44 Old 06-26-2020, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
No, I did not conduct double-blind tests--to which you are referring--on the players mentioned. I listened critically and provided some specifics on what I heard. On the other hand, nobody on AVS has conducted level-matched DBTs on DVD, BD, or CD players in their homes and provided results on specific brands and models they purchased, including you.

A useful counter to my sighted listening tests would be the results from your own DBTs of players. If you have "experimental design evidence" on players you own or the models I own, please post the findings.
No player beats (no pun) a dedicated CD/SACD player.
post #43 of 44 Old 06-27-2020, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
No player beats (no pun) a dedicated CD/SACD player.
I tend to agree. Universal players are basically 'jack of all trades, master of none'. My Oppo's are quite good, but I keep thinking of pulling the older one out and replacing it with a dedicated CD/SACD player.
JA Fant likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #44 of 44 Old 06-29-2020, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I tend to agree. Universal players are basically 'jack of all trades, master of none'. My Oppo's are quite good, but I keep thinking of pulling the older one out and replacing it with a dedicated CD/SACD player.

I own an Ayre DX-5 Universal that is superb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page