Why are CD players so expensive? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 33 Old 03-08-2020, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Out of all the mentioned streaming services here, only Apple Music and Google Play Music (soon to be obsolete) give you the option to upload your existing music to the cloud and access it on-the-go from different devices. Unless you have a car equiped with a CD player and all you do is drive around with an entire CD collection in your trunk, I really don't see myself walking around with a discman, or burning playlists to a CD with the songs I like. I do care about sound quality, but there's only so much I'm willing to sacrifice until it just becomes ridiculous, not to mention questionable as to how much difference I can actually hear and if a 256 kbps file affects my enjoyment and immersiveness into the music compared to a 1411 kbps file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzydizzyJF69
With Tidal, for example, you can download songs to your phone over your home Wi-Fi for example, and then listening to them offline when you are out and about if you don't have a lot of data.
Sadly you're not able to download individual songs from an album. On TIDAL you only have an option to download the entire album. Alternatively, you can create a playlist with favorite songs, then download the playlist. On Apple Music this is not the case as you can download only the songs you want, choose to add it to your library, or add a song to a playlist without adding it to your library.

At the end of the day, I would not be putting my money towards CD equipment and CDs as was once the case. If you still care about owning music, purchasing music from online stores such as HDtracks would be a wiser decision. Investing money towards audio equipment will also have a bigger impact on music listening experience. Then, using a music streaming service that fits your ecosystem to discover new music, unless you're done with 21st century music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z
Ended up getting a sony 5 disk carousel off marketplace (used) for a ridiculously low price. Thanks.
That basically ends the discussion. Enjoy your music @Bill97Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 1460
I used to think like that about music subscriptions, that it's a waste of money, and yes it does cost some in my case Tidal $20/month or about 1 and a half CD purchase a month. The service let's me to sample millions of songs in CD quality or "better" and yes I can download any of them individually or entire albums in that quality I choose. Furthermore I can still buy my own music there is nothing stopping me it's not like I can't have both. The convenience and the fact that I discover a ton of "new" music is alone worth the price. I have Pioneer Elite CD player from 1995, along with several BD and UHD players that can play CD's too, but I use them maybe twice a year, for that duty since most of my CD's are ripped to my computer lossless and I can stream them at any time, or take them with me since I have a 400gb SD card in my phone . Same goes for my car it has a USB input for a thumb drive for playing back lossless files, even though it does have a CD player too.
CruelInventions likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #33 of 33 Old 04-28-2020, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems I started a bit of a rumpus with my streaming comment earlier in the thread. I enjoy the convenience of it to be honest - plus as some other people have said, I can try out loads of new music that I might not have if it wasn't for this convenience. Also when you get into looking at streaming - you can stream over wireless on some pretty good quality kit - the iFi Pro iDSD being one that came to my attention recently.

I also happened to see this on their YouTube channel this morning. Wowzers! Pretty funky. Further investigation needed me thinks.

https://youtu.be/uPgctOfUPOI

Love my family, love audio, have a thing for fizzy sweets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page