post #1 of 9 Old 02-19-2020, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Dac/streamer/app?

I will try to be succinct.

I have a Marantz 8802A in one room.

I have a Marantz 7703 in another. The 7703 has HEOS. I have no idea what that is.

I went in an audio-video store where I purchased a McIntosh MC462 amp. When I sat down to listen, he handed me an iPad that had seemingly limitless choices of music on it.

Is that merely an app and I am already in possession of the ability to stream high quality music with HEOS?

If not, without breaking the bank, meaning no more than 1500, what do I need to stream music through the Marantz 7703?

I have an Oppo dvd player, the original high end model (don't recall the number) and I know that has a DAC, I know the Marantz has a DAC, so I don't know if I need another DAC or something like what's used for movies called the Kaliedoscope which I know is very expensive.

I've tried doing my own research, youtube videos, etc., but can't zero in on what I need.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-19-2020, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 274
You need a streamer and a subscription to a music service such as Tidal, or Qobuz. For someone starting out I’d recommend the Bluesound Node 2i as your streamer. The Node runs about $500 and connects to the internet via WiFi, or Ethernet. A subscription music service will run you $15-$20 monthly. The Node has an internal DAC with rca outputs, and also digital out, in case you want to use one of your DACs. Do a search for Bluesound and that will point you in the right direction for your research.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Was it a subscription service like Tidal or Quboz, or was it just he had a bunch of ripped music in itunes? If it was ripped music in iTunes, then all you have to do is have an airplay capable device. Select the device in iTunes, hit play and voila.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Before you start spending money, read a bit about HEOS as it is a multi room audio solution including a couple of streaming audio services.
Hence you already have what you want, a streamer.
https://www.lifewire.com/heos-4155588

Once you have sorted out HEOS, have a look at the 8802A
It supports both DLNA and Airplay so you can use this for streaming audio as well.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-07-2020, 07:38 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have a NAD amp which has BluOS built in, and I can stream from many sources, some of which are free. I thought HEOS was a similar system from Denon (and Marantz). If that's the case, you might be able to stream now using your 7703. I don't know how subscription services, but I assume that if you subscribe, you can stream to any player you own, including a phone. Am I right?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-07-2020, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
I will try to be succinct.

I have a Marantz 8802A in one room.

I have a Marantz 7703 in another. The 7703 has HEOS. I have no idea what that is.

I went in an audio-video store where I purchased a McIntosh MC462 amp. When I sat down to listen, he handed me an iPad that had seemingly limitless choices of music on it.

Is that merely an app and I am already in possession of the ability to stream high quality music with HEOS?

If not, without breaking the bank, meaning no more than 1500, what do I need to stream music through the Marantz 7703?

I have an Oppo dvd player, the original high end model (don't recall the number) and I know that has a DAC, I know the Marantz has a DAC, so I don't know if I need another DAC or something like what's used for movies called the Kaliedoscope which I know is very expensive.

I've tried doing my own research, youtube videos, etc., but can't zero in on what I need.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mark
HEOS is a Wireless system available in most newer Denon and Marantz receivers. There is the Receiver component and the App component. With the App you can stream various sources to the HEOS enabled receiver but it is limited to what the App supports...if it is not supported in the app you can't stream it.

On the other side of things HEOS is designed to connect to HEOS <brand> wireless speakers...think SONOS. I'm not 100% sure but I think HEOS has evolved into "Denon Home". If you have HEOS wireless speakers and a HEOS enabled Denon/Marantz receiver any source you can stream to the Receiver you can also stream to the HEOS speakers or you can divide them up into "rooms" and stream the same (or different ) content to each.

Keeping things more general as I'm not sure about your specific receivers (I have the Denon X2400H) ...There are other streaming limits that may come into play depending on how your Receiver handles (or doesn't) passing HDMI/Digital sources to a zone 2.

In my experience HEOS is just OK...the interface leaves a lot to be desired...but it is NOT an end all be all streaming solution.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)

Last edited by smdelaney; 03-07-2020 at 08:02 AM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 9 Old 03-07-2020, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Thank you all for the replies. I wound up buying a Moon Mind Neo 2. Took a bit to finally get it working but I like it.

Trouble I’m now having is I wanted to switch from Tidal to Qobuz as I understand the quality is better.

I can log into the Quboz app so my user name and password are right, but when I select library in the Mind app and select Qobuz and log in it keeps saying wrong log in info. Frustrating. Emailed their support.

They replied to a prior question I had and also suggested using Roon. When I try that I just get Roon searching for a core.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-16-2020, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I wound up buying a Moon Mind Neo 2. Took a bit to finally get it working but I like it.

Trouble I’m now having is I wanted to switch from Tidal to Qobuz as I understand the quality is better.

I can log into the Quboz app so my user name and password are right, but when I select library in the Mind app and select Qobuz and log in it keeps saying wrong log in info. Frustrating. Emailed their support.

They replied to a prior question I had and also suggested using Roon. When I try that I just get Roon searching for a core.
For Roon, you have to have a main "Core" device running their management software which communicates with your streaming device ("endpoint"). This is usually desktop or laptop that remains on with the Roon app running, or you can purchase their dedicated Nucelus hardware. Roon acts as a single interface for your music library (stored on your PC or on an external drive), and streaming services like Tidal and Qobuz. The experience is great once set up properly but I would get a trial before dipping your toes in as it is isn't cheap.

film Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Liuto, Smart Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205|UB820
2ch Sonus faber Toy|REL S/5|Sony TA-A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500 + Schiit Mani|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 55X930E|B&W 706 S2|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900
post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2020, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I think there are other cheaper subscriptions on the market, other apps like soundcloud are much more comfortable. as well as spotify but
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page