Denon DCD-50 Eject problem... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-21-2020, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon DCD-50 Eject problem...

Greetings guys!

I hope you are dealing well with these hard times that we are facing.

Well, to add to that, I'm on those waves that seem to everything is getting broken when it's nearly impossible to get help from any kind of shop, due to recent events.

My almost 3-year-old Denon DCD-50, which is a fantastic unit, probably one if not the best sounding CD player I've had (and I had a few since the early 90's) started today to having problems ejecting the discs, until it really did not, and I have a CD stuck inside.

The motor seems to struggle to eject the discs (low pitched noise) which for me is very strange, considering I've only seen these problems happening with units that are a decade or even two old. As a person who likes to keep his tech undamaged, I always follow at least the basic precautions, like not leaving CD's inside the unit, not playing it for several hours without intervals, I even didn't place the unit vertically (it supports the vertical playback, the OLED screen rotates and all), basically it's a unit that wasn't abused, it probably plays around 2 or 3 hours a week at most.

After a quick web search, I didn't find any other DCD-50 related issues, related to almost any problem at all. I think I'm alone in this.

The manual refers to do a long press on the eject button (which does nothin) and other users (related to similar units without a tray that comes out) suggested to try and unplug it for some hours and then turn it on again with the eject button pressed. Also, nothing

It's very frustrating since my cable TV box is also having problems and I'm forced to work at home without any music or TV. I could play digital sources since I have my amp connected to the PC, but it gets in the way of my work.

My warranty has expired and there are no technicians available on the unforeseen future around.

Does anyone seen this happen in such a young unit, or does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thank you in advance, and keep safe everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-22-2020, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compendyum View Post
Greetings guys!

I hope you are dealing well with these hard times that we are facing.

Well, to add to that, I'm on those waves that seem to everything is getting broken when it's nearly impossible to get help from any kind of shop, due to recent events.

My almost 3-year-old Denon DCD-50, which is a fantastic unit, probably one if not the best sounding CD player I've had (and I had a few since the early 90's) started today to having problems ejecting the discs, until it really did not, and I have a CD stuck inside.

The motor seems to struggle to eject the discs (low pitched noise) which for me is very strange, considering I've only seen these problems happening with units that are a decade or even two old. As a person who likes to keep his tech undamaged, I always follow at least the basic precautions, like not leaving CD's inside the unit, not playing it for several hours without intervals, I even didn't place the unit vertically (it supports the vertical playback, the OLED screen rotates and all), basically it's a unit that wasn't abused, it probably plays around 2 or 3 hours a week at most.

After a quick web search, I didn't find any other DCD-50 related issues, related to almost any problem at all. I think I'm alone in this.

The manual refers to do a long press on the eject button (which does nothin) and other users (related to similar units without a tray that comes out) suggested to try and unplug it for some hours and then turn it on again with the eject button pressed. Also, nothing

It's very frustrating since my cable TV box is also having problems and I'm forced to work at home without any music or TV. I could play digital sources since I have my amp connected to the PC, but it gets in the way of my work.

My warranty has expired and there are no technicians available on the unforeseen future around.

Does anyone seen this happen in such a young unit, or does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thank you in advance, and keep safe everyone!
Out of four reviews on Crutchfield for the player, one has the same problem, another says discs are recognized. That's a bit of a coincidence for me. Since it's out of warranty, you might try taking it apart and see if there is anything obvious wrong, but sorry, not much to do.

For your next player, get a tray type loader mechanism.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 6 Old 03-22-2020, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compendyum View Post
I even didn't place the unit vertically (it supports the vertical playback, the OLED screen rotates and all)....
Maybe it will work if oriented vertically?

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-25-2020, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
Maybe it will work if oriented vertically?
Hey guys,

First of all, sorry for taking so long to reply. Life is taking unexpected turns lately. And also I needed time to come to conclusions as you will read.

So, into my "ejection" problem:

As Alex F. suggested, I had already tried to eject the CD that was stuck inside with the unit turned vertically, to no luck. After a couple days leaving it like that, I gave it another go, and finally (and slowly) the CD came out. I got worried about sticking in another (or even the same) but at that point, I had nothing to lose, as I was trying to go around opening the unit, only to maybe look at something in which I couldn't recognize the problem. So, I inserted another CD, tried to eject it immediately, and it got stuck again. After a couple of tries (and again, much slower than normal) it came out again. At this point, the player seems to suffer the same randomness of this problem vertically or horizontally.

As stubborn as I am, I inserted the same cd and let it play to the end but... here comes the thing that seemed to made the difference for the time: I pushed it a little when going inside, instead of just letting the unit do all the insert job and in the end, it came out at first try.

Into all the time that passed since I posted this problem, I've listened at least two cd's per day and all the time I push the CD's a little when going inside, they come out, even sometimes at normal speed (this is not by far an issue for me, I just found strange the struggle that the motors seemed to make to push the discs out), making the placebo go away, and finally being able to listen to music without any fears at all. I should add that the discs come out without any marks, as I like to preserve their integrity throughout all the years.

So, to my conclusion, I am yet to set the unit back again to its horizontal place, but I really don't think it's the source of the problem here.
Also, a friend suggested that the unit was fitted perfectly between my central Pioneer speaker (beneath my TV) and the border of my furniture, leaving almost no room to "breathe" and possible heating up, ending up causing problems in the motors.
I also don't think this is the case, as the unit has a nice length and it's made almost all in metal/aluminum on the outside, but I'm not 100% sure he isn't correct on this. I will certainly try to return it to it's original place later and see how it rolls.

Thank you for the replies, especially if you got to the end of this long post.

Stay safe guys
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2020, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Talking

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have the same problem with my Denon DCD-50 also and tried your “give it a little push” approach. I am happy to report that it has worked so far.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2020, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Wong View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have the same problem with my Denon DCD-50 also and tried your “give it a little push” approach. I am happy to report that it has worked so far.
Hi Phil!

I'm at the same time happy and sad since I'm getting no longer the problem reported above of my Denon player, but at the same time, I'm sad to hear that I'm not the 1% since you're also posting about the same problem, even that you needed to register on AVS (which you won't regret, I can't even start to mention how much I've lurked and learned from reading miles and miles of posts here) so it's a mixed feeling of emotions.
Now onto my conclusion:

I've set the player back into its original position (horizontal and still sharing the same tight spot near my center pioneer speaker and not overheating from it, so that really wasn't the problem) and every 1 in 3 CD's, I push them inside and they return normally (even without a motor noise, suggesting it's struggling on doing it), so I'm close to saying that he's back to its normal state (which I'm still doubtful) but it's better than it was.

The sad part is that I hate to end up with a solution without knowing the source of the problem, and this is really the case here, I can't say what caused it (I think it can still happen, call me negative), but I think I will move along and only try to revive this thread if the problem comes back, leading up to extreme solutions, like opening it or something similar.

I hope your unit "learns" to eject his CD's like mine did.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page