1Likes
  • 1 Post By ClemC

post #1 of 10 Old 04-10-2020, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Technics SL-G700 SACD/CD

Just purchased the SL-G700 and I'm trying to find out if anybody knows what exactly the 3 digital filters are and which are which. There is NOTHING in the very poorly written owners manual, other than mentioning them and the MQA decoding, and nothing beyond a mention of three selectable filters on the web. I know I should just listen to find the one I like the best, but it would be nice to know what each one is, IE- Brick Wall, No Pre ringing, etc. Anybody out there know ? Nothing in any reviews I've seen say anything about them.
BTW, this unit sounds even better than my older Sony SCD-XA5400ES player in all respects.

Thanks,

Last edited by ClemC; 04-10-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-11-2020, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemC View Post
Just purchased the SL-G700 and I'm trying to find out if anybody knows what exactly the 3 digital filters are and which are which. There is NOTHING in the very poorly written owners manual, other than mentioning them and the MQA decoding, and nothing beyond a mention of three selectable filters on the web. I know I should just listen to find the one I like the best, but it would be nice to know what each one is, IE- Brick Wall, No Pre ringing, etc. Anybody out there know ? Nothing in any reviews I've seen say anything about them.
BTW, this unit sounds even better than my older Sony SCD-XA5400ES player in all respects.

Thanks,
Definitely interested in you thoughts on the player, I've been considering buying one of these for a while. First they are hard to find, where did you buy it? Then listening impressions.

As far as digital filters the best source is this technical manual from AKM on the DAC chip itself. Quite extensive. The chip is capable of 6 filters, it looks like Technics only implemented three. The ones on the chip are:

32-bit 8x Digital Filter
- ShortDelaySharpRoll-off,GD=6.0/fs, Ripple: 0.005dB, Attenuation: 100dB
- ShortDelaySlowRoll-off,GD=5.0/fs
- SharpRoll-off
- SlowRoll-off
- Low-dispersionShortDelayFilter
- SuperSlowRoll-off

Sharp roll off would be brick wall. The frequency response curves for all these filters are also shown in the AKM manual. You can find the PDF file here:

https://www.akm.com/content/dam/docu...-datasheet.pdf

My Oppo 203, with the AKM 4458 dac chip, also has 5 selectable digital filters. I'm not really able to tell them apart using analog out to my headphone using my sennheiser 800S headphones, but I've never spent lot of time trying. The default brick wall sounds good. Given the nyquist theorem, you would think brick wall would provide for the best conversion of the digital signal back to the original analog waveform, so I leave the Oppo there.

I'm excited by this player, and like the sound of the AKM dac in my Oppo, so the flagship dac in the SL-G700 is tempting. There are no Technics dealers within three states of me, and they are typically not sold by places with good return policies like Crutchfield, even though Crutchfield sells their turntables, so I've held off.

If you have headphones, I'd also be interested in your impression of the players headphone out ability. The few reviews on the player were great, but the headphone out was graded a bit lackluster.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 04-11-2020 at 01:42 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-11-2020, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Definitely interested in you thoughts on the player, I've been considering buying one of these for a while. First they are hard to find, where did you buy it? Then listening impressions.

As far as digital filters the best source is this technical manual from AKM on the DAC chip itself. Quite extensive. The chip is capable of 6 filters, it looks like Technics only implemented three. The ones on the chip are:

32-bit 8x Digital Filter
- ShortDelaySharpRoll-off,GD=6.0/fs, Ripple: 0.005dB, Attenuation: 100dB
- ShortDelaySlowRoll-off,GD=5.0/fs
- SharpRoll-off
- SlowRoll-off
- Low-dispersionShortDelayFilter
- SuperSlowRoll-off

Sharp roll off would be brick wall. The frequency response curves for all these filters are also shown in the AKM manual. You can find the PDF file here:

https://www.akm.com/content/dam/docu...-datasheet.pdf

My Oppo 203, with the AKM 4458 dac chip, also has 5 selectable digital filters. I'm not really able to tell them apart using analog out to my headphone using my sennheiser 800S headphones, but I've never spent lot of time trying. The default brick wall sounds good. Given the nyquist theorem, you would think brick wall would provide for the best conversion of the digital signal back to the original analog waveform, so I leave the Oppo there.

I'm excited by this player, and like the sound of the AKM dac in my Oppo, so the flagship dac in the SL-G700 is tempting. There are no Technics dealers within three states of me, and they are typically not sold by places with good return policies like Crutchfield, even though Crutchfield sells their turntables, so I've held off.

If you have headphones, I'd also be interested in your impression of the players headphone out ability. The few reviews on the player were great, but the headphone out was graded a bit lackluster.

I've only had it for about a week, after running an XLO burn in disc for 48hrs my initial impression is it is incredibly detailed, and very smooth at the top with far less harshness than the Sony SCD-5400ES it replaced. Solid bass, better soundstage depth, just a better overall machine. Didn't try the Headphone out as I have a separate amplifier for them. Built like a brick, even more substantial than the Sony. Haven't tried any serious streaming, just CD and SACD, but overall I'm very pleased with the purchase. Bought it from Value Electronics in Scarsdale, NY. Good price and quick shipping. They are an authorized dealer. Thanks for the info on the chip, although there is really no way to tell what filter implementation they are using. I'm guessing the default #1 is a brick wall, and go from there. The manual is practically worthless, very hard to follow instructions on setting up the streaming services, and you need to use Google Home to set it up. Then you can use the Technics app to control playback. Also somewhat flimsy remote for a unit in this price range, about equal to the Sony. With all the options built into this player you would think the manual would explain them in detail, but most aren't mentioned and it becomes a game of discovery to find out how to select them.

Last edited by ClemC; 04-11-2020 at 06:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-11-2020, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've only had it for about a week, after running an XLO burn in disc for 48hrs my initial impression is it is incredibly detailed, and very smooth at the top with far less harshness than the Sony SCD-5400ES it replaced. Solid bass, better soundstage depth, just a better overall machine. Didn't try the Headphone out as I have a separate amplifier for them. Built like a brick, even more substantial than the Sony. Haven't tried any serious streaming, just CD and SACD, but overall I'm very pleased with the purchase. Bought it from Value Electronics in Scarsdale, NY. Good price and quick shipping. They are an authorized dealer. Thanks for the info on the chip, although there is really no way to tell what filter implementation they are using. I'm guessing the default #1 is a brick wall, and go from there. The manual is practically worthless, very hard to follow instructions on setting up the streaming services, and you need to use Google Home to set it up. Then you can use the Technics app to control playback. Also somewhat flimsy remote for a unit in this price range, about equal to the Sony. With all the options built into this player you would think the manual would explain them in detail, but most aren't mentioned and it becomes a game of discovery to find out how to select them.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd also be interested in USB playback and music selection using the app from it's usb port using CD rips of hi rez downloads.

Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #5 of 10 Old 04-12-2020, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea, found this on a review:

Quote:
Want full control over the SL-G700's various filters, upsampling features, etc.? You'll need your smartphone and Technics' free App for that. This didn't bother me, but I know it is likely going to be a sore topic for some old-school audiophiles.
Technics' own website does little to communicate this, but the SL-G700 also requires a third-party app in the form of Google Home for setup if you plan to use the Chromecast features.
Review is here:

https://hometheaterreview.com/techni...ayer-reviewed/

I'm guessing once I set it up with google home, I can navigate and select music on the USB drive? I have almost all of my ripped CDs on a 256 gb thumb drive. On my Oppo I can navigate with the app and select an album for playback. I"m hoping I can do that here.

post #6 of 10 Old 04-12-2020, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yea, found this on a review:

Review is here:

https://hometheaterreview.com/techni...ayer-reviewed/

I'm guessing once I set it up with google home, I can navigate and select music on the USB drive? I have almost all of my ripped CDs on a 256 gb thumb drive. On my Oppo I can navigate with the app and select an album for playback. I"m hoping I can do that here.

Ill try putting something on a thumbdrive and see how that works, but I think you use the Technics app to play from outside media like DLNA or USB. Saw that review on-line before I bought it. Again the app lets you choose which filter, no description though. UG.

Last edited by ClemC; 04-12-2020 at 08:10 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-12-2020, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Loaded Beatles Abbey Road onto USB stick as a FLAC file. The player found the folder once I switched input to Front USB, where I had the stick inserted. From there you can either navigate with the remote or use the Technics app. If you have songs or albums set up as folders, you should have no problem navigating. Sound wise you'd have to have magic ears to tell them apart. Image is of app. Got to say VERY impressed with sound quality. The app does allow you to switch filters on the fly, but doesn't have any description of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0412201447_HDR.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	668.5 KB
ID:	2709200  
glangford likes this.

Last edited by ClemC; 04-12-2020 at 12:51 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-13-2020, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Loaded Beatles Abbey Road onto USB stick as a FLAC file. The player found the folder once I switched input to Front USB, where I had the stick inserted. From there you can either navigate with the remote or use the Technics app. If you have songs or albums set up as folders, you should have no problem navigating. Sound wise you'd have to have magic ears to tell them apart. Image is of app. Got to say VERY impressed with sound quality. The app does allow you to switch filters on the fly, but doesn't have any description of them.
Great, thanks a bunch! Yea, on my Oppo I have albums set up as folders. Select a folder, select the first song in the folder and off you go! I almost bought a pioneer ubp-x500, but no app for selecting usb. Kinda of a bummer.

post #9 of 10 Old 04-13-2020, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Great, thanks a bunch! Yea, on my Oppo I have albums set up as folders. Select a folder, select the first song in the folder and off you go! I almost bought a pioneer ubp-x500, but no app for selecting usb. Kinda of a bummer.

You should download the Technics app and play with it. Should give you a good idea of how it works, although I'm not sure how much would populate without having a player on the network.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-18-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 426
ClemC,

Congrats on getting the player. I didn't even know about it. Glad to see that Panasonic is still doing pieces like this. Looks to be a winner. I would love to hear it. Right now I'm using a Marantz SA8005 and the ND8006. Both are quite good, but I bet the Technics is better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page