intermittent reloading - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-14-2020, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
intermittent reloading

My Sony 300CD changer seems to have trouble detecting a CD after loading it from the carousel. Sometimes it will shuffle play for hours with no trouble. Other times it will reload a CD a few times before playing it. When it gets really bad it gives up and I have to power off and back on.

I found a way to get it to play when it can't get going. With the cover off, I wait until the CD is loaded and clamped, then immediately spin the CD with my finger (clockwise). The CD stops, pauses, then spins up on its own and plays just fine. If I try to spin too soon or too late it will just reload. It always takes over from a dead stop so I am not helping it start. I seem, instead, to be helping it see that a readable CD is loaded and ready.

What is the likely culprit? Motor controller? Bad ribbon cable? Motor? Laser park position/alignment?

Note: This changer used to have trouble playing the first track on many CD's. I fixed that problem by shaving the bump stop for the laser so that it could move closer to the hub. The current problem arose almost a year later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-16-2020, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 735
If you can't get it repaired it might be time to consider ripping them all putting them on a large USB stick and playing them in shuffle mode from a device that does that, like a blu ray player, or perhaps a streaming solution from iTunes to a device that has airplay. There are many ways to do something like this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 3 Old 04-18-2020, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
update

The finger thing was an illusion. I just got lucky. It will try several reloads before giving up. Sometimes it works on the first try, sometimes the second, etc., all by itself. This morning I couldn't get it going at all until I fetched the blow dryer. (Poor man's heat gun.) After heating the rear circuit board and laser head assembly it worked first time. Couple hours later it got stuck again so I reheated and got going again. One new thing. The display actually said, "Loading Error". Usually it just displays track number, etc. If it is on random, the whirling circle will go forever.

Note: When I had this problem months ago I swapped the laser carriage with my "mothballed" 200CD changer and it didn't work any better so I doubt that the laser is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page