post #1 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Marantz ND8006 Question

Hi everyone.

I am the very proud owner of a Marantz SR5012 which seems to be packed with plenty of music streaming options.
I am a CD collector and also use premium Spottily quite a bit.
So . . .
I'm in love with the Marantz ND8006 CD/Streamer, but question whether i really need it's streaming capabilities.
Aside from the ND8006's built-in CD player, do i need this fancy toy? Would connecting the ND8006 to my SR5012 be too many "cooks in the kitchen"?
Or would connecting the ND8006 to my SR5012 somehow improve the sound quality of Spotify?

Any help would be appriciated.

3 Hometheaters
Samsung 65" UHDTV (UN65KS8000)
Marantz SR5012 & KEF R Series Speakers
6 HDTV's. Desktop PC, XB360, XB1X & XB1
100+ Games. XBox Live GT: NetGod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Since you can do spotify with the Marantz, there is probably not much benefit. The problem is most AVRs do not bypass the a/d and d/a conversions in the AVR even on pure direct. Denon, similar to Marantz even says in the manual it just cuts off unused circuitry. So in essence you'll get no benefit from the analog stage of the ND8006, hence, it won't be any audio benefit, you'll be hearing the digital to analog processing of the 5012.

In that regard I'd be inclined to get the 6006 cd player if you needed a cd player and already have all the streaming capability you need.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetGod View Post
Hi everyone.

I am the very proud owner of a Marantz SR5012 which seems to be packed with plenty of music streaming options.
So . . .
I'm in love with the Marantz ND8006 CD/Streamer, but question whether i really need it's streaming capabilities.
Aside from the ND8006's built-in CD player, do i need this fancy toy? Would connecting the ND8006 to my SR5012 be too many "cooks in the kitchen"?
Or would connecting the ND8006 to my SR5012 somehow improve the sound quality of Spotify?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you connect the ND8006 via its analog outs to the SR5012 and run the SR5012 from those analog inputs in 'pure direct' mode, then yes -- you will get the benefit of the superior D/A conversion of the ND8006. I have the ND8006 and compared to the SR5012 (which I had recently), the D/A is fairly good in the SR5012, but not as good as the ND8006. So the short answer is yes, but you need to hear it both ways and decide for yourself if the difference in sound quality of the SR5012 directly vs. the ND8006 connected to the SR5012 is worth it to you.
Panson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
The problem is most AVRs do not bypass the a/d and d/a conversions in the AVR even on pure direct. Denon, similar to Marantz even says in the manual it just cuts off unused circuitry.

I don't know about Denon, but for Marantz receivers 'pure direct' does bypass any receiver A/D and subsequent D/A conversion and provides a direct pass through from the analog input to the amplifier. You are correct that many receivers don't, but I believe Marantz does, including the SR5012.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetGod View Post
Hi everyone.

So . . .

Any help would be appreciated.

You may also find the streaming ap in the ND8006 works quicker and/or smoother, or is somehow preferable. I know playing back USB music files directly in the SR5012 was not smooth and the interface in the receiver that operated it was slow and not good. I now have the SR6013 and the interface is just as poor for playing back USB files. At any rate, I now use the ND8006 connected via 2ch. analog for everything, as it's better than the receiver in just about every respect, IME.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I very much appreciate all the feedback. It sounds like the ND8006 may be a genuine option for me.

3 Hometheaters
Samsung 65" UHDTV (UN65KS8000)
Marantz SR5012 & KEF R Series Speakers
6 HDTV's. Desktop PC, XB360, XB1X & XB1
100+ Games. XBox Live GT: NetGod

Last edited by NetGod; 06-04-2020 at 06:34 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-05-2020, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
I don't know about Denon, but for Marantz receivers 'pure direct' does bypass any receiver A/D and subsequent D/A conversion and provides a direct pass through from the analog input to the amplifier. You are correct that many receivers don't, but I believe Marantz does, including the SR5012.
I'm not convinced. I know for Denon they do not do a real bypass, most of the denon experts on that forum say so. For Marantz the manual says the same thing the Denon manuals say about pure direct:

Quote:
This mode is for playback with higher sound quality than in Direct playback mode.
This mode turns off the main unit display and analog video circuit. Doing so suppresses noise sources that affect sound quality.
for direct it says:

Quote:
Sound recorded in source is played as is.
Good to know about the ND8006. I wish they hadn't dropped SACD from the 8005 or I would have picked one up. I'm still looking for a good player instead of a universal player. I started to pick up a ND8006 and have my 30-40 SACDs ripped by a service. I know when I had a Denon that USB playback was kinda wonky as well. How do you like USB playback on the ND8006. Does the heos app allow you to select music from USB from your phone or tablet? My other option would be the Technics SL-G700 at 2999. Yikes!

Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 06-05-2020 at 02:18 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-05-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not convinced. I know for Denon they do not do a real bypass, most of the denon experts on that forum say so. For Marantz the manual says the same thing the Denon manuals say about pure direct:
I think you may be confusing 'direct' with non-direct, i.e. A/D and D/A with digital processing in between (EQ, etc.). I understand 'direct' is a direct pass through to the amp too, but with the video/digital circuitry still left on. 'Pure direct' is also a direct pass, but turns off any video/digital circuitry too, whose noise could -- at least theoretically -- cause some noise or contamination of the signal being fed to the amplifier. In both cases, I believe there is no A/D and then D/A before the signal is passed through to the amp.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-06-2020, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
I think you may be confusing 'direct' with non-direct, i.e. A/D and D/A with digital processing in between (EQ, etc.). I understand 'direct' is a direct pass through to the amp too, but with the video/digital circuitry still left on. 'Pure direct' is also a direct pass, but turns off any video/digital circuitry too, whose noise could -- at least theoretically -- cause some noise or contamination of the signal being fed to the amplifier. In both cases, I believe there is no A/D and then D/A before the signal is passed through to the amp.
No, I'm not confusing the two. I've had this conversation with Batpig and JDSmoothie, two of the Denon experts over in that forum. At least for Denon it's never been clear and assumed that pure direct only does what it says it does, cut off unused circuitry and doesn't apply processing, but the signal path is the same. I assumed Marantz would be the same, the manual indicates so, but maybe it isn't. Maybe they've changed my last Denon was a 3311ci. Now I do know that my Anthem actually does control and bypass a/d and d/a conversions. They make it a point for you to know that is available. From their manual:

Quote:
If changed to No, digital conversion and signal processing are bypassed. Only level adjustments will be available.
You get no such note in the denon or marantz manual, only the claim to cut off unused circuitry and no processing applied.

But I'll concede you may be right. Probably not a discussion for this forum anyway.

post #10 of 10 Old 06-06-2020, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, I'm not confusing the two. I've had this conversation with Batpig and JDSmoothie, two of the Denon experts over in that forum. At least for Denon it's never been clear and assumed that pure direct only does what it says it does, cut off unused circuitry and doesn't apply processing, but the signal path is the same. I assumed Marantz would be the same, the manual indicates so, but maybe it isn't. Maybe they've changed my last Denon was a 3311ci. Now I do know that my Anthem actually does control and bypass a/d and d/a conversions. They make it a point for you to know that is available. From their manual:

You get no such note in the denon or marantz manual, only the claim to cut off unused circuitry and no processing applied.

But I'll concede you may be right. Probably not a discussion for this forum anyway.
Well, I don't know for sure of course, as I don't design Marantz products, but Marantz also has a 'Pure direct' option on most (if not all) of their two channel amplifiers. Also, I don't think a direct pass through to the amplifier is all that difficult to do and/or achieve from a technical design standpoint, even in a complex receiver. So I would bet that it is what it does. Besides, I think I would hear it if it didn't do it, as the DACs in the SR5012 and SR6013 are quite good, but not up to the level of the ND8006 or SA8005. I even had it one time, unknowingly, out of pure direct for one of the inputs with no EQ or other processing on and heard it by thinking something was not right and/or had degraded the sound quality somewhat.

To me, it would make no sense to have 'direct' and 'pure direct' if all it does is not apply any processing or EQ, but still does an A/D and D/A of the incoming signal before going to the amplifier. Now, what might make sense is for 'direct' to apply no processing, but still do A/D and then D/A; and only 'pure direct' is a direct pass with no A/D and then D/A. Since I never really use 'direct' I wouldn't know or have any experience comparing the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page