CD player help - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 06-24-2020, 05:25 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 8,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
I would take the Panasonic BD30. great build quality/features, used going for ~$170 USD on Amazon
JA Fant likes this.
Rgb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 Old 06-24-2020, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AlexLac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
I would take the Panasonic BD30. great build quality/features, used going for ~$170 USD on Amazon
Thanks a lot!
I got it now. Seems to be playing the 1-2 discs the old one didn't and it has both coax and optical.
JA Fant likes this.
AlexLac is online now  
post #33 of 39 Old 06-25-2020, 01:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,527
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
Thanks a lot!
I got it now. Seems to be playing the 1-2 discs the old one didn't and it has both coax and optical.
Good! Yes, I'd have taken the Panny over the Onkyo as well. Did the DAC you bought on eBay come in?
JA Fant likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
glangford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 39 Old 06-25-2020, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AlexLac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Good! Yes, I'd have taken the Panny over the Onkyo as well. Did the DAC you bought on eBay come in?
Thanks for confirming as well.

It seems to work well. I miss the metal solidness of a CD player but it does the work and was cheap, so all is well.

DAC has not arrived yet. I estimate it will take a few weeks. Mail is very slow both in and out now days, and our Postal Service is slow even on normal times. It's still moving around in China.
I asked the seller to send it with an EU plug and an optical cable if possible. He said he has but his English is very poor. Very curious to see what will arrive. Will report back!


If I want to use coaxial, is there any difference between using a single RCA (I should have some in my old cables maze ball, could maybe even just split a dual RCA cable), and a dedicated cable?
JA Fant likes this.
AlexLac is online now  
post #35 of 39 Old 06-25-2020, 05:14 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 8,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Yes, for short (6-10ft or so) runs, any RCA audio cable will work fine for coax digital, yes you could pull apart a stereo pair and use either mono cable. You could also use a composite video (yellow, sometimes black ends) RCA cable if you have a spare laying around so you don't have to separate a stereo pair- they get lonely you know

An RG59 or RG6 (better) coax antenna/satellite cable with RCA adapters would work well too
JA Fant likes this.
Rgb is offline  
post #36 of 39 Old 06-25-2020, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AlexLac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Yes, for short (6-10ft or so) runs, any RCA audio cable will work fine for coax digital, yes you could pull apart a stereo pair and use either mono cable. You could also use a composite video (yellow, sometimes black ends) RCA cable if you have a spare laying around so you don't have to separate a stereo pair- they get lonely you know

An RG59 or RG6 (better) coax antenna/satellite cable with RCA adapters would work well too
found this old interconnect. ~5 feet. I think that should do.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coaz.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2748746  
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by AlexLac; 06-25-2020 at 12:54 PM.
AlexLac is online now  
post #37 of 39 Old 06-26-2020, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 2,865
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
found this old interconnect. ~5 feet. I think that should do.

Nice score! on the Panny. If you enjoy the Marantz house sound, seek out a 8005 player.
If you like the Arcam sound, seek out a FMJ model.
JA Fant is offline  
post #38 of 39 Old 06-26-2020, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AlexLac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Nice score! on the Panny. If you enjoy the Marantz house sound, seek out a 8005 player.
If you like the Arcam sound, seek out a FMJ model.
Thank you.
The Panny sounds fine. I didn't do any A/B check vs the old Marantz. I'm unsure if Marantz 90s house sound is comparable to Marantz 2020 (do they even still make CD players?).

The main objective was to buy something newer pre-owned as it is likely safer than buying a vintage one that possibly will need to be serviced sooner or later and use it with a cheap but decent DAC.
As I mentioned, I'm missing the metallic construction of CD players, the onboard display is lacking (I'm guessing you get more if you use it as blu-ray player with a TV), and the start up operation is quite slow, but non of that is too important.

Last edited by AlexLac; 06-26-2020 at 11:29 PM.
AlexLac is online now  
post #39 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alex F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,617
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
I'm unsure if Marantz 90s house sound is comparable to Marantz 2020 (do they even still make CD players?).
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_53100/...FBrand|Marantz
AlexLac likes this.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
Alex F. is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off