post #1 of 39 Old 06-16-2020, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 244
CD player help

Hi,

I pulled my Marantz DR700 CD Player out of storage a few months ago, it hasn't played in at least 12 years. Much to my surprise it mostly still works well. On occasion I need to try to re-insert discs 1-2 times till it reads it. So far it hasn't been able to read just one disc.
I also have a Marantz CD-67MKII, that one doesn't spin disc so it won't read them. From what I was told, it's inferior to the DR700 anyway.
I haven't serviced either of them.

Now I'm thinking if it's maybe time to get a newer player. I'm looking mostly at open box deals on eBay or local second hand deals. I'm not from the US so it limits my options to keep it on the cheap side.
With eBay I need to consider international shipping and aggressive custom tax costs we have here. For example, a $225 CD Player from the US would cost me around $385 landed. Amazon is currently not an option as they only ship express currently to my country so it's way too much.

I'm not crazy about buying 2nd hand. You can't quite tell how much the player has in it before it needs to be serviced (belts etc), which I like to avoid. I'd like to keep it under $300 all in.
Anyway, I'm exploring the options and would be grateful for some suggestions for cheapish but not crappy players.
I've seen quite a few recommendations for the Yamaha CD-S300 for that kind of budget.

Here's some 2nd hand options I've seen for various prices (condition and availability would need to be verified):

Arcam CD72
SONY CDP-M69
Advance Acoustic MCD-203II
Cambridge Audio AXC35
NAD 502
Marantz CD5000
Technics SL-PG340

thanks!
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-16-2020, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
Hi,

I pulled my Marantz DR700 CD Player out of storage a few months ago, it hasn't played in at least 12 years. Much to my surprise it mostly still works well. On occasion I need to try to re-insert discs 1-2 times till it reads it. So far it hasn't been able to read just one disc.
I also have a Marantz CD-67MKII, that one doesn't spin disc so it won't read them. From what I was told, it's inferior to the DR700 anyway.

Now I'm thinking if it's maybe time to get a newer player. I'm looking mostly at open box deals on eBay or local second hand deals. I'm not from the US so it limits my options to keep it on the cheap side.
With eBay I need to consider international shipping and aggressive custom tax costs we have here. For example, a $225 CD Player from the US would cost me around $385 landed. Amazon is currently not an option as they only ship express currently to my country so it's way too much.

I'm not crazy about buying 2nd hand. You can't quite tell how much the player has in it before it needs to be serviced (belts etc), which I like to avoid. I'd like to keep it under $300 all in.
Anyway, I'm exploring the options and would be grateful for some suggestions for cheapish but not crappy players.
I've seen quite a few recommendations for the Yamaha CD-S300 for that kind of budget.

Here's some 2nd hand options I've seen for various prices (condition and availability would need to be verified):

Arcam CD72
SONY CDP-M69
Cambridge Audio AXC35
NAD 502
Marantz CD5000
Technics SL-PG340

thanks!
On the DR700, you might try cleaning the laser lens, if accessible. I'm not crazy about second hand either, particularly something with moving parts, like a cd player. Give accessories4less a try. Factory refurbs are available at reduced cost. You might try crutchfield as well, they have a large selection varying from very high end Marantz SA-10, Yamaha, McIntosh to mid-fi and even low cost units.
JA Fant and AlexLac like this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 39 Old 06-16-2020, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
On the DR700, you might try cleaning the laser lens, if accessible. I'm not crazy about second hand either, particularly something with moving parts, like a cd player. Give accessories4less a try. Factory refurbs are available at reduced cost. You might try crutchfield as well, they have a large selection varying from very high end Marantz SA-10, Yamaha, McIntosh to mid-fi and even low cost units.
Thanks.

I thought of doing that. It really works quite well in most cases. As I said it only failed to read one disc out of maybe 60, but for some it needed a few in/out to. What would be the best way to clean it? With some fluid or just wipe it with a bit of cotton?

I'm not really an expert, so my thinking was to also get something maybe better. I have no idea how the DR700 rates for quality. A lot of the ones I mentioned are supposed to have DAC built in, whether it's good DAC or not, I have 0 understanding of that.

I can't buy anything from Crutchfield or A4L, they don't ship international afaik. Hence why I was looking at eBay open-box options. Both Amazon and eBay have often an option to checkout with all the import fees applied in advance, otherwise you need to deal locally with some custom agent or whatever the custom clerk decides to charge you.

If you got some recommendations for models to look at that would be great. How are the ones I mentioned might be available second hand here?

EDIT: I should also mention I'm not using some fancy Amp. It's an old Nakamichi Amplifier2. I'm no audiophile by any means, not do I aspire to be one. Therefore, I'm not sure how much benefit I would get from getting a better CD player given what will use to amplify it.
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by AlexLac; 06-16-2020 at 02:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 06-16-2020, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I thought of doing that. It really works quite well in most cases. As I said it only failed to read one disc out of maybe 60, but for some it needed a few in/out to. What would be the best way to clean it? With some fluid or just wipe it with a bit of cotton?

I'm not really an expert, so my thinking was to also get something maybe better. I have no idea how the DR700 rates for quality. A lot of the ones I mentioned are supposed to have DAC built in, whether it's good DAC or not, I have 0 understanding of that.

I can't buy anything from Crutchfield or A4L, they don't ship international afaik. Hence why I was looking at eBay open-box options. Both Amazon and eBay have often an option to checkout with all the import fees applied in advance, otherwise you need to deal locally with some custom agent or whatever the custom clerk decides to charge you.

If you got some recommendations for models to look at that would be great. How are the ones I mentioned might be available second hand here?

EDIT: I should also mention I'm not using some fancy Amp. It's an old Nakamichi Amplifier2. I'm no audiophile by any means, not do I aspire to be one. Therefore, I'm not sure how much benefit I would get from getting a better CD player given what will use to amplify it.
The first thing I might try is just a can of compressed air. You can get a good clean air source from a camera shop. Next, I'd try rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. After letting the lens dry from rubbing alcohol, then blow it with the compressed air to get rid of any q-tip fibers that may have been left behind.

Since you are international and not US based, you could try a low to mid priced Marantz player. They sell internationally. Yamaha as well, but some of their units are pricy. Look at the crutchfield site, see if something strikes your fancy and then see if a seller in your country carries that brand/model. CD players aren't made in the US anymore, except a couple of hi-end brands, so you should be able to find anything internationally. Unfortunately, budget DVD and blu ray players have dropped RCA connections or you could just use one of those.

Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #5 of 39 Old 06-16-2020, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The first thing I might try is just a can of compressed air. You can get a good clean air source from a camera shop. Next, I'd try rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. After letting the lens dry from rubbing alcohol, then blow it with the compressed air to get rid of any q-tip fibers that may have been left behind.

Since you are international and not US based, you could try a low to mid priced Marantz player. They sell internationally. Yamaha as well, but some of their units are pricy. Look at the crutchfield site, see if something strikes your fancy and then see if a seller in your country carries that brand/model. CD players aren't made in the US anymore, except a couple of hi-end brands, so you should be able to find anything internationally. Unfortunately, budget DVD and blu ray players have dropped RCA connections or you could just use one of those.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

I will try that. Not sure how approachable the lens is but I'll find out. Would a small blower work too (like the one you clean pc dust with) or compressed air is better?

Crutchfield is where I first saw that Yamaha S300 recommended and then on some forums as well. All this stuff sells here for extreme prices new. That Yamaha is $300 on Crutchfileld and like $500 locally (I'm in Israel). Yeah all that stuff is not made in US but I guess the American custom volume and strong American distributor brings down the price dramatically. I see it it everything, from electronics to speakers etc. TBH American prices are way lower than European as a rule.

I looked into a Sony UHP-H1 BD Player that has RCA and DAC, but yeah, like I said I have no idea how good it is and whether I will see any benefit without better class Amp.

Are you familiar with any of the 2nd hand ones I mentioned?
JA Fant likes this.
post #6 of 39 Old 06-16-2020, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

I will try that. Not sure how approachable the lens is but I'll find out. Would a small blower work too (like the one you clean pc dust with) or compressed air is better?

Crutchfield is where I first saw that Yamaha S300 recommended and then on some forums as well. All this stuff sells here for extreme prices new. That Yamaha is $300 on Crutchfileld and like $500 locally (I'm in Israel). Yeah all that stuff is not made in US but I guess the American custom volume and strong American distributor brings down the price dramatically. I see it it everything, from electronics to speakers etc. TBH American prices are way lower than European as a rule.

I looked into a Sony UHP-H1 BD Player that has RCA and DAC, but yeah, like I said I have no idea how good it is and whether I will see any benefit without better class Amp.

Are you familiar with any of the 2nd hand ones I mentioned?
No I'm not familiar with any of the specific models of second hand ones you mention, although there are some good brands in there, Marantz, Technics, Cambridge audio, Arcam. I'd probably lean to the Marantz and Technics. Being used, I'd make sure there is a repair center for that brand in Israel.

I'd get a can of air. You might just have some dust on the lens so you'd want to blow it with a good clean air source, not dusty air, but it might work fine. A can of compressed air should be pretty cheap. Walmart here about 6 bucks, you probably can find it without going to a camera store. Check a local department store.

post #7 of 39 Old 06-16-2020, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
No I'm not familiar with any of the specific models of second hand ones you mention, although there are some good brands in there, Marantz, Technics, Cambridge audio, Arcam. I'd probably lean to the Marantz and Technics. Being used, I'd make sure there is a repair center for that brand in Israel.

I'd get a can of air. You might just have some dust on the lens so you'd want to blow it with a good clean air source, not dusty air, but it might work fine. A can of compressed air should be pretty cheap. Walmart here about 6 bucks, you probably can find it without going to a camera store. Check a local department store.
Thanks.

Yeah, I think I'll try the cleaning first, see if it makes disc reading more reliable. I was considering stepping up to something newer/better, but I don't really have any complaints about the SQ. Then again, I don't really have anything to compare to.
JA Fant likes this.
post #8 of 39 Old 06-17-2020, 06:52 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Might be a better option to use a more recent vintage DVD or BluRay player as a transport with a coax SPDIF out to an audiophile grade DAC. A used/B stock/open box audiophile DAC can be had for couple hundred $ or less, no issues with moving parts on a used unit.

Bonus if you find a used recent BluRay/DVD player that handles SACD and/or DVD-Audio discs plus coax/optical/HDMI audio outputs to feed external DAC/processor/preamp, etc

I've found many perfectly working more recent BluRay/DVD players at thrift for less than $10 that play CD/SACD/DVD-Audio/BluRAy Audio discs
post #9 of 39 Old 06-18-2020, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Might be a better option to use a more recent vintage DVD or BluRay player as a transport with a coax SPDIF out to an audiophile grade DAC. A used/B stock/open box audiophile DAC can be had for couple hundred $ or less, no issues with moving parts on a used unit.

Bonus if you find a used recent BluRay/DVD player that handles SACD and/or DVD-Audio discs plus coax/optical/HDMI audio outputs to feed external DAC/processor/preamp, etc

I've found many perfectly working more recent BluRay/DVD players at thrift for less than $10 that play CD/SACD/DVD-Audio/BluRAy Audio discs
Thanks for your suggestions.
I'm old school you can say, so it was always just used a CD player plugged directly to the Amp, but I'm not against change.

Lemme see if I got it right: Get a cheap player, get a decent DAC. Connect CD player to DAC to and DAC to Amp? My amp is an old Nakamichi Amplifier2 which doesn't have any digital stuff:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-msAA...3K/s-l1600.jpg
I'd like to spend as little as possible, I'm really quite happy with the way stuff sounds now, other than the CD player sometimes have trouble reading some discs at first. I don't really have anything to compare to though. Maybe it could be miles better, maybe not.

Being from a small country, we don't have a lot of selection or thrift stores and getting a 2nd hand (even very cheap one) CD player is a risk as you can't really tell how much is left in it before needing servicing or retiring. Getting one online from eBay and such is of course an option, but same risk applies to 2nd hand + International shipping costs add a lot (at least $40-$70).

Do you have any recommendations for a DAC such as the one you suggested getting? I really know nothing about what's good and what isn't and it will help with research if I had some names.
JA Fant likes this.
post #10 of 39 Old 06-18-2020, 04:36 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

For a great sounding CD/SACD player on a budget using analog outs without a DAC, the Sony DVP-NS775V has audiophile approved sound. Can be had for less than $50 USD on auction sites or classifieds.

Other Sony DVD models of similar vintage and model series may sound similar via analog outs.

An excellent sounding "Starter DAC" with USB, coax, optical inputs and good headphone amp is the FX Audio M6

Was on sale recently at Parts Express for ~$30 USD shipped- amazing sound quality for the price, and amazing feature set- USB DAC, good headphone amp, coax/optical inputs, USB powered headphone amp, and AK4452VN DAC chip with 24/192 capability.

https://www.parts-express.com/fx-aud...-ampl--309-411

https://www.akm.com/global/en/produc...-dac/ak4452vn/

https://www.akm.com/content/dam/docu...-datasheet.pdf

Asahi Kasei DAC chips are preferred by many audiophiles I know, self included. Many of the best high dollar DACs use AKM DAC chips vs ESS Sabre and others.

Denon/Marantz higher line receivers/pre/pros use AKM chips.

The Sony 775 + M6 DAC would be my goto budget audiophile grade CD/SACD/headphone amp/DAC combo

I've found several 775's at thrift stores around Michigan, or yard sales/classifieds like craigslist/LetGo, etc

Street price of used DVD players like the Sony 775 is only $5-$10 USD nowadays, even less on a good day, seller who doesn't care
FYI, going rate for remotes is about $8-$10 USD at auction sites, sometimes free ship or not- something for negotiating
(ie subtract value of remote if missing)

Yes, most DACs, M6 included, have RCA (cinch) line outs for external amps.

By going this route, you can play far more music discs- CD, SACD, DVD concerts and music discs (though not DVD-Audio MLP tracks with the 775)
AlexLac and JA Fant like this.

Last edited by Rgb; 06-18-2020 at 04:59 AM.
post #11 of 39 Old 06-18-2020, 06:30 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Another lowish cost brand DAC line to look at is Topping. FX Audio also has many other models to choose.

Google and YouTube for reviews/models, etc

Many prior model (just a generation or two from current) Cambridge, Meridian, Music Hall DACs available used too
post #12 of 39 Old 06-18-2020, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Another lowish cost brand DAC line to look at is Topping. FX Audio also has many other models to choose.

Google and YouTube for reviews/models, etc

Many prior model (just a generation or two from current) Cambridge, Meridian, Music Hall DACs available used too
Thanks!
Certainly a lot to consider and research. The names you mentioned are very helpful as I had no idea what to look for. There's centuries of brands and models.

I don't have a need for SACD, DVDs, USB or headphones, of course I can just not use those features, but basically I just want to play normal CDs. I have thousands of CDs and vinyls from when I was a crazed collector. Ater a long "detox" period, I decided to start to actually listen to them
I'm from Israel, so my options are not as wide open as an American and shipping plays a big role in the cost. Even a $40 player can easily become a $100 expense with little to no guarantee for how long it would last.

If I understand correctly, what you're saying is get something, doesn't matter too much what it is, and the DAC will take care of the SQ. I like that idea as this should be a much cheaper to ship and doesn't have mechanical parts. Wouldn't a a not-very-fancy amp like the one I have become the weak link and diminish what I get from the DAC? Maybe I'm underestimating it, I know a lot of people swear by old amps, but usually older ones from the 60s-70s. Excuse me for the show of ignorance, I really don't know much about this.

I mentioned earlier on some stuff that didn't look too terrible that is available locally, though it was the ones that I saw that looked "better" and not some player the dog chewed on The main attraction is not having to get them shipped from overseas. Do you have experience with any of them and can suggest whether they are worth looking at (as a All-in-One option)?

Arcam CD72
SONY CDP-M69
Cambridge Audio AXC35
NAD 502
Marantz CD5000
Technics SL-PG340

I saw the Yamaha CD-S300 mentioned as a good option. There is someone who is selling it here 2nd hand, but the details are fuzzy and he hasn't responded. There is an open-box one on eBay for $225, which translates to $385 landed....still $140 less than buying it new locally, but not sure I'm interested to spend that though.
JA Fant likes this.
post #13 of 39 Old 06-18-2020, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
An excellent sounding "Starter DAC" with USB, coax, optical inputs and good headphone amp is the FX Audio M6
I'm seeing the FX Audio DAC-X6 for as little as $18 on eBay. Can't see the M6 specifically. I see that one used CS4398 and CS8416 and not AKM.
Topping E30 seems the next cheapest one, with AK4493. Both those sold by the same seller as suspiciously low prices.
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by AlexLac; 06-18-2020 at 03:46 PM.
post #14 of 39 Old 06-18-2020, 07:09 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Correct- X6 does not use AKM DAC chip.

The Cambridge, Arcam, Marantz, NAD and Sony look good from your list by brand name, have no experience with those specific models

Models with coax out for external DAC later might be preferred
post #15 of 39 Old 06-18-2020, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Technics made really good cd players in their time. They have a reputation of great sound and reliability.
I have a Technics changer that still works perfectly after 25 years. They load fast and they track amazing on even really scratched up cds. It was rumored that you could break a cd in half, put it back in the tray and they would play it. Never tried it myself, however.

If you can get the Technics local, I would go for it. There are also plenty on ebay.

I also think that a decent Sony BR player like the UBPX700 would sound decent enough as well.
post #16 of 39 Old 06-19-2020, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!
Certainly a lot to consider and research. The names you mentioned are very helpful as I had no idea what to look for. There's centuries of brands and models.

I don't have a need for SACD, DVDs, USB or headphones, of course I can just not use those features, but basically I just want to play normal CDs. I have thousands of CDs and vinyls from when I was a crazed collector. Ater a long "detox" period, I decided to start to actually listen to them
I'm from Israel, so my options are not as wide open as an American and shipping plays a big role in the cost. Even a $40 player can easily become a $100 expense with little to no guarantee for how long it would last.

If I understand correctly, what you're saying is get something, doesn't matter too much what it is, and the DAC will take care of the SQ. I like that idea as this should be a much cheaper to ship and doesn't have mechanical parts. Wouldn't a a not-very-fancy amp like the one I have become the weak link and diminish what I get from the DAC? Maybe I'm underestimating it, I know a lot of people swear by old amps, but usually older ones from the 60s-70s. Excuse me for the show of ignorance, I really don't know much about this.

I mentioned earlier on some stuff that didn't look too terrible that is available locally, though it was the ones that I saw that looked "better" and not some player the dog chewed on The main attraction is not having to get them shipped from overseas. Do you have experience with any of them and can suggest whether they are worth looking at (as a All-in-One option)?

Arcam CD72
SONY CDP-M69
Cambridge Audio AXC35
NAD 502
Marantz CD5000
Technics SL-PG340

I saw the Yamaha CD-S300 mentioned as a good option. There is someone who is selling it here 2nd hand, but the details are fuzzy and he hasn't responded. There is an open-box one on eBay for $225, which translates to $385 landed....still $140 less than buying it new locally, but not sure I'm interested to spend that though.
The setup of a Sony and DAC wouldn't do SACD anyway, SACD being limited to HDMI, analog out, or if you spend mega bucks a proprietary connection for McIntosh equipment.

post #17 of 39 Old 06-19-2020, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Correct- X6 does not use AKM DAC chip.

The Cambridge, Arcam, Marantz, NAD and Sony look good from your list by brand name, have no experience with those specific models

Models with coax out for external DAC later might be preferred
Been looking into this thing. It's still quite alien to me. I don't even know how you plug it in...lol. Most of the guides/vids deal with PC/USB/Headphones options which I'm not interested in.
I have no use for anything other than CD Player for normal CDs. No bluteooth, USB, headphones etc. Simple CD Player to old Stereo Amp. I have no interest it digital music streaming services. I have enough music in physical formats to last me a few lifetimes.

The M6 on Parts Express is the cheapest I'm seeing this model, which appears to be discontinued(?), but with $27 shipping it's less attractive, still cheap considering.
There was some guy on eBay selling the Topping E30 for $37 brand new + free shipping, which is very suspicious price considering it's a ~$130 product. I was debating it's authenticity and by the time I woke up, it was sold out already.

Did some digging now, found the one bellow that looks like a decent alternative. It's hard to say what their build quality is compared to FX or Topping which appear to be the more known brands:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AK4493EQ-AK...V/254371088251 (option 1).
which appears to be same as this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001068639324.html (bundle 1 of this thing)
It's 4493 not 4452, I'm not sure which is better.
That Sony DVD Player will not work out it seems. My rack can only fit a CD Player size, max 17.5" width. Any other models worth considering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
Technics made really good cd players in their time. They have a reputation of great sound and reliability.
I have a Technics changer that still works perfectly after 25 years. They load fast and they track amazing on even really scratched up cds. It was rumored that you could break a cd in half, put it back in the tray and they would play it. Never tried it myself, however.
If you can get the Technics local, I would go for it. There are also plenty on ebay.
I also think that a decent Sony BR player like the UBPX700 would sound decent enough as well.
Thank you. I'll look into it. But yeah, my worry with 2nd hand is you can't really know what to expect.
Quote:
The setup of a Sony and DAC wouldn't do SACD anyway, SACD being limited to HDMI, analog out, or if you spend mega bucks a proprietary connection for McIntosh equipment.
Thanks. I have 0 interest in SACD so not really an issue for me.
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by AlexLac; 06-19-2020 at 04:34 AM.
post #18 of 39 Old 06-19-2020, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Hi,

Arcam CD72
SONY CDP-M69
Cambridge Audio AXC35
NAD 502
Marantz CD5000
Technics SL-PG340

thanks!
Sounds like you need to select a CD/DVD player in your price range and go with it. I say this because you don't seem to be overly concerned with the sound quality. Most players these days have decent sound. Once you get it, if you think the sound quality isn't good enough, then consider trying one of the DACs. Just a suggestion. Good luck with your search.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #19 of 39 Old 06-19-2020, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Sounds like you need to select a CD/DVD player in your price range and go with it. I say this because you don't seem to be overly concerned with the sound quality. Most players these days have decent sound. Once you get it, if you think the sound quality isn't good enough, then consider trying one of the DACs. Just a suggestion. Good luck with your search.
Thank you.
Yes and no., It sounds good to me now, but, you never know till you hear better, so if I'm going to get a replacement I'm open to explore a sound upgrade too, as long doesn't comes at a large cost. Maybe it would be an ear opener, maybe not. I may just end up sticking with the one I have now as it mostly works. I'm exploring my options.
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by AlexLac; 06-19-2020 at 04:26 AM.
post #20 of 39 Old 06-19-2020, 05:54 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you.
Yes and no., It sounds good to me now, but, you never know till you hear better, so if I'm going to get a replacement I'm open to explore a sound upgrade too, as long doesn't comes at a large cost. Maybe it would be an ear opener, maybe not. I may just end up sticking with the one I have now as it mostly works. I'm exploring my options.
Audition the analog outs from the models you listed and/or search for reviews around the time they were released and YT vids.
Service manuals and user manuals available at sites like manualslib or manufacturers Support sites may indicate DAC chips used in specific models.
post #21 of 39 Old 06-19-2020, 07:06 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

TEchnics/PAnasonic MASH models are well regarded for sound quality. The Technics you listed has MASH
post #22 of 39 Old 06-19-2020, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Audition the analog outs from the models you listed and/or search for reviews around the time they were released and YT vids.
Service manuals and user manuals available at sites like manualslib or manufacturers Support sites may indicate DAC chips used in specific models.
Thanks! I will see if it's still available.

I kinda like the cd player as transport too. Did you see the part I wrote about the DACs ? :

Quote:
The M6 on Parts Express is the cheapest I'm seeing this model, which appears to be discontinued(?), but with $27 shipping it's less attractive, still cheap considering.
There was some guy on eBay selling the Topping E30 for $37 brand new + free shipping, which is very suspicious price considering it's a ~$130 product. I was debating it's authenticity and by the time I woke up, it was sold out already.

Did some digging now, found the one bellow that looks like a decent alternative. It's hard to say what their build quality is compared to FX or Topping which appear to be the more known brands:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AK4493EQ-AK...V/254371088251 (option 1).
which appears to be same as this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001068639324.html (bundle 1 of this thing)
It's 4493 not 4452, I'm not sure which is better.
Think it's worth trying?
JA Fant likes this.
post #23 of 39 Old 06-19-2020, 08:13 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! I will see if it's still available.

I kinda like the cd player as transport too. Did you see the part I wrote about the DACs ? :

Think it's worth trying?
Not familiar with that model, search for reviews. Promising given it has an AKM chip and nice looking caps

BT model appears to support APT-X HD, another good sign. NEver buy into any bluetooth audio device without APT-X (base version, LL and/or HD) if sound quality matters to you.

Last edited by Rgb; 06-19-2020 at 08:17 AM.
post #24 of 39 Old 06-19-2020, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not familiar with that model, search for reviews. Promising given it has an AKM chip and nice looking caps

BT model appears to support APT-X HD, another good sign. NEver buy into any bluetooth audio device without APT-X (base version, LL and/or HD) if sound quality matters to you.
Yeah, I thought it looks good too. Some reviews here.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32722398456.html has some reviews. Some say it's pretty poorly built.
There's some videos and reviews of older models. It seems ok-ish, I guess *shrug*

Is there any point to get it with USB if I'm not gonna use it for anything PC or streaming?

Wonder if that Topping E30 was a knock off. $37 seems well bellow it's normal price.
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by AlexLac; 06-19-2020 at 09:34 AM.
post #25 of 39 Old 06-19-2020, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The guy from last night added more so I grabbed one. Hope it's legit. If not...oh well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPING-E30...r/264765902073
There's silver one for $33 but I wanted a black one. It all looks pretty fishy, but eBay has good seller protection. I don't even know what to do with it, but it's nice to try something new.
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by AlexLac; 06-19-2020 at 10:04 AM.
post #26 of 39 Old 06-20-2020, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The guy from last night added more so I grabbed one. Hope it's legit. If not...oh well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPING-E30...r/264765902073
There's silver one for $33 but I wanted a black one. It all looks pretty fishy, but eBay has good seller protection. I don't even know what to do with it, but it's nice to try something new.
Since you now have a DAC with coax input capability, you can pick up a Sony BDP player. In the US the BDP-S1700 is 68 bucks and has coax output capability. Here at crutchfield you can still buy the DVP-SR510H DVD player for 49 bucks, also having coax output. Oddly, that one still has analog output as well.

If the DAC turns out to be a scam, you should be able to find something. Here I'd probably go with schiit audio and the MODI dac. Coax input, and the AKM 4490 dac for 99 bucks. They sell stuff with Euro, UK and aussie plugs and voltages, so they obviously sell worldwide.

post #27 of 39 Old 06-20-2020, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Since you now have a DAC with coax input capability, you can pick up a Sony BDP player. In the US the BDP-S1700 is 68 bucks and has coax output capability. Here at crutchfield you can still buy the DVP-SR510H DVD player for 49 bucks, also having coax output. Oddly, that one still has analog output as well.

If the DAC turns out to be a scam, you should be able to find something. Here I'd probably go with schiit audio and the MODI dac. Coax input, and the AKM 4490 dac for 99 bucks. They sell stuff with Euro, UK and aussie plugs and voltages, so they obviously sell worldwide.
Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Yeah, I guess this opens new possibilities for me.

I'll wait to get it first and see if my old ears can even tell the difference. At $37 landed, I figured I'd give it a try.

If it's a scam, at least eBay is good at favoring the buyers in disputes. They sure screw sellers sideways regardless of whether the claims are right or wrong + outrageous fees. I cringe at every sale having to leave ~16% in their greedy hands. I really don't like eBay. Rant over.

Is there an advantage in coax over optical? Or it's just more that more modern devices don't tend to include optical that often?
JA Fant likes this.
post #28 of 39 Old 06-20-2020, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Yeah, I guess this opens new possibilities for me.

I'll wait to get it first and see if my old ears can even tell the difference. At $37 landed, I figured I'd give it a try.

If it's a scam, at least eBay is good at favoring the buyers in disputes. They sure screw sellers sideways regardless of whether the claims are right or wrong + outrageous fees. I cringe at every sale having to leave ~16% in their greedy hands. I really don't like eBay. Rant over.

Is there an advantage in coax over optical? Or it's just more that more modern devices don't tend to include optical that often?
I don't think there is any real difference in coax over optical. Hope you DAC works out. Please let us know. I did find out that Schiit has a euro site but they don't seem to have a lot of stock.
JA Fant likes this.

post #29 of 39 Old 06-20-2020, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't think there is any real difference in coax over optical. Hope you DAC works out. Please let us know. I did find out that Schiit has a euro site but they don't seem to have a lot of stock.
Thank you. I hope it works out too. Wonder if I'll be able to tell if it's the real deal or not. From what I could see this product sells for a lot more. I'd have expected to see a lot more cheap ones if there was a knockoff, but who knows. I'm mostly curious if I'll notice an upgrade in sound.
The MODI model on Schiit Audio seems to be in low quantities and/or backordered on the US site as well.

Will update when I get it, I assume it would take a few weeks with the current state of things.
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by AlexLac; 06-20-2020 at 03:59 AM.
post #30 of 39 Old 06-24-2020, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

@glangford @Rgb

Found some local guy selling said to be "near new" DVD and BD players, I can pretty much pick them today.

Panasonic DMP-BD30 BD Player - $45
Onkyo DV-SP504E DVD Player - $30

I'm leaning towards the BD player as I have some blu-rays (even though I don't watch them) and a pretty janky BD player.

Any thoughts on those?
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page