Olive Opus: First Impressions - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1145 Old 09-25-2018, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
However, the 500GB still appears as a 160GB drive/filesystem to the Musica, so the next step will be to resize the partition(s). This may not be trivial. I was hoping that the partitions would be standard Linux partitions but I guess the partition table is funky. Still not sure exactly what to do (sure do wish I had a recovery CD)... suggestions welcome.
Looks like, telnetting into the Musica, its /dev/hda7 that needs to be resized, its an ext3 filesystem. It would appear that rather than trying to mount this drive/filesystem on another Linux and performing the resizing on another machine, that it would likely be more expedient to simply continue to telnet into the Musica and use its Linux tools to resize/rebuild /dev/hda7.

I'm not sure yet if all the needed tools/programs are there.... /sbin/mkfs.ext3 seems to be missing, but maybe mke2fs is enough... Luckily I haven't put much music on this Musica yet, so I think I can just copy /audio (/dev/hda7) to /data, then mkfs /dev/hda7... but not sure yet. Hints/suggestions welcome...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1145 Old 09-28-2018, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well I think I'm getting pretty close...

In hindsight, not too surprising, but it appears that the format/partitioning of this Olive disk is borrowed from the Mac/PPC Linux, and uses a scheme known as the Apple_Partition_Map. Its pretty well documented, for example, at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Partition_Map.

The partition seems to be in /dev/hda1 and is 31Kb in size. Its in big-endian format.

There is available a MacOS utility pdisk that may be able to edit this partition table, but it also appears that I can just write in the right numbers into /dev/hda1 to resize /dev/hda7. Then as long as the existing tools are enough to re-format /dev/hda7 (ext3 with journaling), it should be good to go... Will probably try it soon.

Also I noticed a picture on the Internet that would seem to show that someone replaced the PATA IDE drive in the Olive with a SSD SATA drive using a general PATA to SATA adapter. I may try this too, to at least use a more modern SATA drive (probably 2.5").

So I think the notion that the Olive uses some proprietary special header on its disk is probably wrong -- its simply that its disk can't be interpreted using an Intel PC since the partition table is not MBR or GPART, but rather Apple_Partition_Map.
post #1143 of 1145 Old 01-04-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all, I have a working 160gb Musica and am wondering if the internet radio hack mentioned on this page (post 1131) still works? I've been manually entering URLs for the stations I want, when I can find a working URL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 1145 Old 04-28-2019, 11:47 AM

I have an Olive Musica I got from a friend who was no longer using it. It works fine but I want to change the hard drive to a SSD. I was sucessful putting the drive in and changing the drive serial number within firmware but I don not have a good Recovery CD. Does anyone have one that would so kind as to Dropbox it to me as an ISO file?
post #1145 of 1145 Old 04-28-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
Sorry for the extended delay (if anyone out there cares )... but this has been low priority...

Nevertheless I did make some headway... in a nutshell, I was able to copy/clone the disk from my Musica.

The original disk is a 160GB drive. I bought a 500GB PATA IDE drive. Used dd (actually dd_rescue) to image copy the 160GB onto the 500GB. Then I used hdreset (the ISO/CDROM) to reset the checksum. It works...

So now I at least have a way of making an image backup of the Musica, something that I view as essential if I am to actually use the Musica for real, spending a ton of time loading in CDs. I'm still not sure it is worth it, compared with just ripping the CDs to a fileserver and using SMB to play the music through a DAC or a box of some sort.

However, the 500GB still appears as a 160GB drive/filesystem to the Musica, so the next step will be to resize the partition(s). This may not be trivial. I was hoping that the partitions would be standard Linux partitions but I guess the partition table is funky. Still not sure exactly what to do (sure do wish I had a recovery CD)... suggestions welcome.

Thanks very much for this!!!! I was able to replace the 160 gig IDE drive in my Olive Musica with a 500 gig SATA SSD. Due to your post I used ddrescue to copy and gparted to change the size of the data partition. NO more humming hard drive and lots of space! I can use it again! Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	musica.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	2559698  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page