Sony DVP-NS999ES & Hybrid SACD problems - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I've been running a Sony DVP-NS999ES as my transport for DVD, CD, and SACD for a number of years now. No complaints until last night. I use it mostly for DVD and CD with the occasional SACD (I have only a couple of dozen). I've always liked the sound quality.

This past weekend we moved to a new home which, of course, necessitated taking down my AV system and re-connecting at the new place. As I hooked up the Sony DVP-NS999ES, I ran it through a full test of capabilities and discovered something most interesting.

When playing a CD or DVD it works great. When playing an SACD with no CD track (that is, a non-hybrid disc), it playes the SACD as it should. However, when I place a hybrid SACD into the drive, the player does not recognize it as being an SACD at all; the CD layer plays fine but I am unable to select the SACD layer(s). No manner of configuration that I have tried will "activate" the SACD. The SACD indicator on the front pannel will not light up; as far as I can tell, the 999ES treats the disc as a standard CD.

This was not the case previously; the SACD audio on hybrid discs played by default without issue. A while back, I spent many, many hours listening to my SACD collection (only a few of which are not hybrids), though that has fallen off as of late. At the previous home, it'd been quite some time since I played an SACD of any type so I can't catagorically say that the problem has occured only since the move.

Any ideas? Is there a setting that I've somehow forgotten about; am I just being a bonehead on the configuration? Would dust shaken up during the move cause this?

Thanks for your help,

Eurastus

Hej på dej!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-21-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
The only setting is the "SACD priority" which can be sometimes set on the front or through the menu system. The options are "multi" "2ch" "CD" , other then that, that's it. The default normally is "multi" however.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #3 of 4 Old 12-21-2006, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, thehun,

I don't remember seeing this setting in the menuing system of this particular player. However, if I overlooked it, and it's set to "CD," this would definately explain the behavior. I'll have a close look when I get home this evening.

Eurastus

Hej på dej!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-21-2006, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well, this problem does seem to be systemic to a number of Sony SACD players, the 999ES included. After reading many dozen posts of woe in a number of forums and boards, including AVS, my spirits were down.

I thought that perhaps I'd try a simple cleaning DVD with two very small brushes embedded.

Worked like a charm!!

Apparently my problem was caused by some dust or other optical obstruction. Since I've never cleaned it in the four years I've owned it, and lived in a rather dusty home, I suppose it was more than due.

Problem solved; hybrid SACDs play as normal now...

Thanks for the advice...

Eurastus.

Hej på dej!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page