WABC (NY) Iboc Samples (Rewound 07) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are some OTA IBOC samples from WABC's annual "Rewound"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f4ecyf Hr 1 -50mb

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uu6wfd Hr 2 -50mb

Equipment used; Acurian receiver, Extigy (A-D converter). These are unscoped and there is a slight amount of cross-coding artifact in the MP3 process (128).

Lino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 PM

thanks !
post #3 of 16 Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 PM

thanks dude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-22-2009, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 16 Old 05-23-2009, 11:28 AM

Comments from the anti-Iboc group.. Who are you gonna believe, me or your ears?
post #6 of 16 Old 05-24-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F. Burns View Post

Comments from the anti-Iboc group.. Who are you gonna believe, me or your ears?

Well, you asked for it. The buzzing artifacts extend way down into the vocal range, as usual, and render higher frequency sounds into the same plastic spitty robotty noise you get from the teensiest laptop speakers. Absolutely unlistenable, and this despite the mono and the lack of high frequencies on the old aircheck tapes they're playing.

I am once again baffled as to how anyone can sit in front of speakers spitting out this stuff and claim that it resembles music. Shrug.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-24-2009, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm in the pro-IBOC group and that music sounded mediocre at best at least in the last clip (hours 8-9). There are no highs at all as if they were trying to imitate analog AM with a bandpass filter. The announcer had more bass in his voice than the music. The Art Garfunkel song at 84:00 sounded horrifying, turning his smooth vocals into a shaking buzzing sound. Overall it was not easy to listen to and my Radio Disney station sounds much better.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-25-2009, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I'm in the pro-IBOC group and that music sounded mediocre at best at least in the last clip (hours 8-9). There are no highs at all as if they were trying to imitate analog AM with a bandpass filter. The announcer had more bass in his voice than the music. The Art Garfunkel song at 84:00 sounded horrifying, turning his smooth vocals into a shaking buzzing sound. Overall it was not easy to listen to and my Radio Disney station sounds much better.

Guys, make some sense here, these are ancient, mostly amateur recordings which have gone through the original airchain, whatever recorder was used, then "restored" with additional processing and finally passed through the current airchain which sounds awful even for speech. They are also stored in the station's system in compressed form. It surprising that they sound as good as they do.

The "shaking buzzing" sound on the Garfunkel track was an accurate but overstated rendering of the single band limiter-based processing that the station used at the time...ALL the New York stations were in the midst of a loudness war that began in 1971 and you may have no idea how unbelievably strained these airchains were sounding by then. In addition, WABC had been hit with complaints from WOR over sideband splashing so they had implemented some weird frequency-selective limiting that often resulted in a "pop" on certain midrange tones, you can hear one of these at the piano ending on the Garfunkel cut.

The fact that your "Radio Disney" station would sound better (to you) should be a clue as to what the original material of these airchecks was made from.

AM IBOC is mediocre but in an age where low-rate MP3s and Youtube vids are the standard, it's right in the middle.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-25-2009, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

BTW: if any are interested in this year's WABC Rewound, the files are available as MP3 downloads here:

http://www.musicradio77.com/rewound2009.html

These are far and away the best material they have ever had for this show and they are (mostly) taken directly from the original recordings -not restored- They were recorded by engineer Herb Squire.

For a somewhat humorous example of those weird "pops' in the WABC airchain of that era dl the Hour 9 file:
"Johnny Donovan - Sat. 7/13/1974 - 9:55-10:30PM" and zoom to approc the 20 minute mark and John Denver's "Annie's Song".
post #10 of 16 Old 05-25-2009, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

BTW: if any are interested in this year's WABC Rewound, the files are available as MP3 downloads here:

http://www.musicradio77.com/rewound2009.html

These are far and away the best material they have ever had for this show and they are (mostly) taken directly from the original recordings -not restored- They were recorded by engineer Herb Squire.

For a somewhat humorous example of those weird "pops' in the WABC airchain of that era dl the Hour 9 file:
"Johnny Donovan - Sat. 7/13/1974 - 9:55-10:30PM" and zoom to approc the 20 minute mark and John Denver's "Annie's Song".
post #11 of 16 Old 05-25-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinoNewYork View Post

Guys, make some sense here, these are ancient, mostly amateur recordings which have gone through the original airchain, whatever recorder was used, then "restored" with additional processing and finally passed through the current airchain which sounds awful even for speech. They are also stored in the station's system in compressed form. It surprising that they sound as good as they do.

If the original recordings were that poor then you should have told us this. Naturally we're evaluating HD Radio sound quality in this forum so ancient recordings that are poor to begin with are going to mislead us into thinking the worst.

My jazz/blues station has played plenty of pre-WW2 recordings that I sure wouldn't post as examples of HD Radio quality!
post #12 of 16 Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If the original recordings were that poor then you should have told us this. Naturally we're evaluating HD Radio sound quality in this forum so ancient recordings that are poor to begin with are going to mislead us into thinking the worst.

My jazz/blues station has played plenty of pre-WW2 recordings that I sure wouldn't post as examples of HD Radio quality!

+1.

I was responding to R. F. Burns, who I interpreted as implying that even HD Radio detractors would have to admit the files sounded good. They don't, and I'm not.

It's not that hard to tell the difference between the artifacts of HD Radio and the artifacts of aging analog airchecks anyway. The files I downloaded contain heaping helpings of both.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-26-2009, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, "scowl" I took the time to explain the nature of these recordings to you because listening alone had not clued you in as to their nature.

I did not post these as examples of "HD quality" The sort of source material should have made that clear. They do sound dramatically better than the normal AM analog quality on that station.

Posting on these public message boards is a crapshoot, every so-often I have to expect a dense individual..or one with a chip on his shoulder. TFB.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-26-2009, 04:36 AM

As long as my name was mentioned let me respond to the anti IBOC neysayer. I am in a position to have heard the original audio prior to it being broadcast over the air. In other words I heard the audio over a circuit from WABC, not over an analog AM radio. The posted audio quality was about as good as the source audio. That was my source for drawing the comparison, what was your's?
post #15 of 16 Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F. Burns View Post

As long as my name was mentioned let me respond to the anti IBOC neysayer. I am in a position to have heard the original audio prior to it being broadcast over the air. In other words I heard the audio over a circuit from WABC, not over an analog AM radio. The posted audio quality was about as good as the source audio. That was my source for drawing the comparison, what was your's?

Did the "circuit from WABC" include the same metallic buzzing that we've come to know and love from the HD codec?

Do you even know what I'm talking about?

As usual it comes down to "it sounds fine to me so it must sound fine to you."

By the way, since no "source for drawing the comparison" is available to us, why do you discount our opinions, after asking for them, based on that unavailability?
post #16 of 16 Old 11-23-2018, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Happy holidays! Is it too late to ask for a re-up? I missed the download links earlier. Thanks.

We all bleed blue from the inside....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page