Charlotte, NC - HD Reception Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 135 Old 04-10-2017, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 252
WBT announced Hall of Fame new inductees Rockin Ray, Hello Henry, and John Hancock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 135 Old 04-17-2017, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Speaking of WBT, the HD signal from 99.3 appears to be down since the weekend.
Looks like the HD signal has been down about a week now on 99.3 .
post #123 of 135 Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like the HD signal has been down about a week now on 99.3 .
Looks like today the HD is back up and running again on 99.3-WBT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 135 Old 07-31-2017, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It seems like they may have increased the power of the HD Radio signal on Kiss 95.1 in recent days. I am 75 miles from the transmitter, and I can now receive it with just rabbit ears, whereas previously it would only decode from the larger attic antenna. And it now locks in the car radio, but not all the time. But before it would not lock at all in the car until you got into Spartanburg.

Meanwhile, I can no longer receive the HD signal from Channel 96.1. I believe it may be cochannel interference from local translator stations on 95.9 and 96.3 which increased power in the past year.

As for 107.9-WLNK, it is difficult to receive in the car due to a LPFM station interfering. Often you will hear the 2 stations on top of each other, and the HD will no longer stay locked on. But it comes in clear in the house with rabbit ears, and the HD will stay locked on there. A local engineering source said the LPFM had boosted their power well beyond the legal limit of 100 watts, but I guess it is up to Entercom to file a protest. But otherwise WLNK has a strong clear signal in Greenville County, and the LPFM really should not have been allowed. The legal spacing is too close in this case, and too many translators and LPFMs are interfering with clear reception of full power distant channels.
post #125 of 135 Old 07-31-2017, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Last week when I drove from Greenville to Columbia, I was able to listen to WLNK all the way down I-385 and I-26. And the HD stayed locked on from Fountain Inn just inside Laurens County and lasted until Broad River Rd. in Richland County. And when I was parked at the Columbiana Mall on Harbison Rd. the HD would lock on, and it would also lock on parts of I-20 and I-26 in Richland and Lexington counties. But yet again a LPFM with an inferior signal began creating interference, and both stations became problematic to listen to. Again some of these LPFMs or translators are too close to certain full power distant signals. Otherwise, WLNK has a very strong signal,with separate 8-bay and 7-bay Shively antennas for both analog and digital.
post #126 of 135 Old 08-06-2017, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It seems like they may have increased the power of the HD Radio signal on Kiss 95.1 in recent days. I am 75 miles from the transmitter, and I can now receive it with just rabbit ears, whereas previously it would only decode from the larger attic antenna. And it now locks in the car radio, but not all the time. But before it would not lock at all in the car until you got into Spartanburg.

Meanwhile, I can no longer receive the HD signal from Channel 96.1. I believe it may be cochannel interference from local translator stations on 95.9 and 96.3 which increased power in the past year.

As for 107.9-WLNK, it is difficult to receive in the car due to a LPFM station interfering. Often you will hear the 2 stations on top of each other, and the HD will no longer stay locked on. But it comes in clear in the house with rabbit ears, and the HD will stay locked on there. A local engineering source said the LPFM had boosted their power well beyond the legal limit of 100 watts, but I guess it is up to Entercom to file a protest. But otherwise WLNK has a strong clear signal in Greenville County, and the LPFM really should not have been allowed. The legal spacing is too close in this case, and too many translators and LPFMs are interfering with clear reception of full power distant channels.
After observing the last week, it definitely appears they have increased the HD power on Kiss 95.1. Or at least there was some sort of technical upgrade that has enhanced the HD Radio signal. Definitely stronger than before.
post #127 of 135 Old 08-21-2017, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

News 11.10-WBT morning talk show hosted by Scott Fitzgerald is broadcasting from Greenville, SC this morning covering the Eclipse. Perhaps using technical assistance from local Entercom facilities in Greenville. Listening on WLNK-107.9HD2 with rabbit ears antenna.
post #128 of 135 Old 12-05-2017, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 21
WKBC and WDAV are my problematic stations. I've tried both my rooftop VHF/UHF antenna with preamp and a FM omnidirectional, neither one can lock onto the HD. WDAV gets 1 bar and comes in sometimes. I have 4 bars of analog signal on each. Using a Sangean HDT-20 receiver.

Receive the following ATM:

WFAE
WTPT
WGTK
WNKS
WHQC
WKKT
WPEG
WSPA
WBT
WRFX
WSSL
WBAV
WLKO
WSOC
WKQC
WOSF
WEND
WLNK
post #129 of 135 Old 12-12-2017, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I am 75 miles from the Gaston County transmitters in northern Greenville County, SC. I have a Winegard 6000 FM antenna in the attic, with 4 long elements. I get WLNK-107.9 and WNKS-95.1 reliably for HD signals, although 107.9 is strongest. I used to get Channel 96.1 and 102.9-WLKO reliably as well, but there is now localized interference.

On 102.9, WGTK now operates a translator on the same frequency that is subleased to a Hispanic broadcaster. It drowns out the analog from WLKO, but surprisingly the HD from WLKO will often lock in. On 96.1, the analog is very strong, but strong signals on 95.9 and 96.3 now prevent the HD from locking on.

I get the analog from WSOC-103.7 but the HD does not always lock on. For WBT, I get 99.3 but the HD sometimes drops out due to interference from a Georgia station on the same frequency which increased power, and a strong local signal on 99.5 also now causes problems.

And there is now bad localized interference on 107.9 as there is now a LPFM station on the same frequency as WLNK. No more car reception but in the house even my rabbit ears antenna will receive the HD from WLNK which has a strong signal. And local radio sources have confirmed the LPFM has recently boosted their power beyond the legal limit of 100 watts, making the interference worse. My main gripe is all these low power signals now interfering with the clear signals of the full power distant stations. All the Charlotte signals transmitting from Gaston County always had a strong, clear signal in Greenville County. Now all these aggravating translator channels are causing interference, which is very annoying. But I can still get WLNK clear in the house, and that is the main station I listen to. I like the music mix on the Link, as well as Bob and Sheri in the mornings. And I like to listen to WBT on 107.9-HD2.
post #130 of 135 Old 12-12-2017, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered the Sparc Tabletop HD Radio from Amazon on Cyber Monday when it was on sale for $99. Model H159SHD-T86000. It has a very good tuner and good channel separation and noise reduction. The Sangean HDT-18 HD Radio has too much noise and interference from adjacent channels, which makes some analog stations sound unclear, even though the signal is otherwise strong.

I am pleased with the Sparc radio, and do not have a problem with the time clock as some early models apparently reported. It can be connected to external speakers via the headphone port to improve the sound quality. Although I think the regular price of $149 is too high. It should be regularly priced at $99 and on sale for $69. That is more reasonable and would likely sell better. And perhaps return to Best Buy under the Insignia brand to increase marketability.
post #131 of 135 Old 12-19-2017, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I ordered the Sparc Tabletop HD Radio from Amazon on Cyber Monday when it was on sale for $99. Model H159SHD-T86000. It has a very good tuner and good channel separation and noise reduction. The Sangean HDT-18 HD Radio has too much noise and interference from adjacent channels, which makes some analog stations sound unclear, even though the signal is otherwise strong.

I am pleased with the Sparc radio, and do not have a problem with the time clock as some early models apparently reported. It can be connected to external speakers via the headphone port to improve the sound quality. Although I think the regular price of $149 is too high. It should be regularly priced at $99 and on sale for $69. That is more reasonable and would likely sell better. And perhaps return to Best Buy under the Insignia brand to increase marketability.
I would get two if they'd go to $69, and one if I had known about the $99. Also, I added an additional 5 feet to my antenna, can now get WDAV in HD reliably.
post #132 of 135 Old 02-05-2018, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Have any of you had any luck with pre-amps and HD radio? In my location I'm stuck right between both sets of radio towers (Greenville/Spartanburg and Charlotte) and am just outside of the range of most of the HD stations indoors. Many of them come in fine when I'm in the car, but won't pick up at all in the house.

Possibly a low noise amplifier like the Kitztech KT-501 paired with a dedicated FM antenna?
post #133 of 135 Old 02-11-2018, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Have any of you had any luck with pre-amps and HD radio? In my location I'm stuck right between both sets of radio towers (Greenville/Spartanburg and Charlotte) and am just outside of the range of most of the HD stations indoors. Many of them come in fine when I'm in the car, but won't pick up at all in the house.

Possibly a low noise amplifier like the Kitztech KT-501 paired with a dedicated FM antenna?
I have the opposite situation, at least with the Charlotte stations. I get good HD Radio reception in the house, but there is now too much interference in the car for the Charlotte HD stations to lock on in most of Greenville County. In recent years they have added LPFM and translator stations on the same channels as Charlotte, which used to come in clear. But once you drive into Spartanburg, the Charlotte HD stations will start to lock on.

But a good set of indoor rabbit ears will pull in the HD from 95.1 and 107.9 at my location. But I have a dedicated Winegard 6000 FM antenna in the attic which provides much stronger FM reception from multiple markets, including Charlotte. It is combined with a Channel Master 4 port distribution amp further down the line with the TV antenna. But HD Radio can be very problematic with a preamp. Often the preamp will block the HD from locking on, and you may have better luck without the preamp. But the KT-501 is low noise and has a gain control, which may allow you to dial in the HD signal. However, I tend to have better luck without the preamp and just use the distro amp at a distance down the line.

The Winegard antenna is discontinued, but there is a similar Stellar Labs model 30-2460. And they also have a circular model 30-2435 which is more omnidirectional, and only $10.99 from Newark/element 14.

Also you want a good HD Radio tuner. The Sangean HDR-18 table radio has a very good, very sensitive HD tuner. And the Sparc table HD Radio on Amazon also has a very good HD tuner, and sometimes it is reduced from $149.
post #134 of 135 Old 02-12-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I have the opposite situation, at least with the Charlotte stations. I get good HD Radio reception in the house, but there is now too much interference in the car for the Charlotte HD stations to lock on in most of Greenville County. In recent years they have added LPFM and translator stations on the same channels as Charlotte, which used to come in clear. But once you drive into Spartanburg, the Charlotte HD stations will start to lock on.

But a good set of indoor rabbit ears will pull in the HD from 95.1 and 107.9 at my location. But I have a dedicated Winegard 6000 FM antenna in the attic which provides much stronger FM reception from multiple markets, including Charlotte. It is combined with a Channel Master 4 port distribution amp further down the line with the TV antenna. But HD Radio can be very problematic with a preamp. Often the preamp will block the HD from locking on, and you may have better luck without the preamp. But the KT-501 is low noise and has a gain control, which may allow you to dial in the HD signal. However, I tend to have better luck without the preamp and just use the distro amp at a distance down the line.

The Winegard antenna is discontinued, but there is a similar Stellar Labs model 30-2460. And they also have a circular model 30-2435 which is more omnidirectional, and only $10.99 from Newark/element 14.

Also you want a good HD Radio tuner. The Sangean HDR-18 table radio has a very good, very sensitive HD tuner. And the Sparc table HD Radio on Amazon also has a very good HD tuner, and sometimes it is reduced from $149.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try it with just an antenna first to see what I get, and if that doesn't work out I'll consider trying an amp. I've got the Sparc radio in my cart right now on Amazon. I can see both sides of the "FM Translator" argument. It does interfere with long distance reception, but we wouldn't have local radio at all in our county if it wasn't for translators. For decades 105.3, WAGI as it was known then, was the primary (only real) radio station in Cherokee County. When the owners died several years ago their greedy heirs immediately leased the station to another company and it became Spanish radio for awhile. They later moved the tower and now it operates out of the Charlotte market. The county was left with only the AM station, 1500 AM which had a very limited reach. Thankfully the station manager was able to purchase the AM station and get an FM Translator license. It doesn't cover the county wonderfully even with that, but it is much better than it was as an AM Station. We also can now get a lot of sports programming because of translator stations in Spartanburg and Shelby that we didn't get before. I was able to listen to the Super Bowl on a station from Shelby for example because they now have an FM frequency.

So there can be pros and cons to both situations.
post #135 of 135 Old 02-14-2018, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try it with just an antenna first to see what I get, and if that doesn't work out I'll consider trying an amp. I've got the Sparc radio in my cart right now on Amazon. I can see both sides of the "FM Translator" argument. It does interfere with long distance reception, but we wouldn't have local radio at all in our county if it wasn't for translators. For decades 105.3, WAGI as it was known then, was the primary (only real) radio station in Cherokee County. When the owners died several years ago their greedy heirs immediately leased the station to another company and it became Spanish radio for awhile. They later moved the tower and now it operates out of the Charlotte market. The county was left with only the AM station, 1500 AM which had a very limited reach. Thankfully the station manager was able to purchase the AM station and get an FM Translator license. It doesn't cover the county wonderfully even with that, but it is much better than it was as an AM Station. We also can now get a lot of sports programming because of translator stations in Spartanburg and Shelby that we didn't get before. I was able to listen to the Super Bowl on a station from Shelby for example because they now have an FM frequency.

So there can be pros and cons to both situations.
105.3 was a great small town radio station for Gaffney, and it was heard clearly in both Charlotte and Greenville. Then it was moved to the WBTV tower in Gaston County and became a Charlotte station. The reception is now spotty in Greenville County.

As for the translators, I don't object as long as they are not on the same channel as a full power distant channel. I always used to get 107.9-WLNK clear in the car in Greenville County. Very strong signal including the HD. Now there is bad interference from a LPFM on the same channel, and local sources indicate they are way over their legal limit power. But fortunately in the house, I still get WLNK clear, including the HD. Just using rabbit ears. But the LPFM on 107.9 should have been limited to Anderson or Pickens counties where WLNK drops off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page