Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-24-2018, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Sangean HDR-18

I am considering a Sangean HDR-18. It looks like it is one of the better HD table radios available today. Not that there is much competition. I know we had a thread on this a while back. Anyway, for anybody here that has one, how well do you like it?

http://www.sangean.com/products/prod...?mid=197&cid=3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-24-2018, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had it, didn't like it, returned it. There were problems with the clock, and a bunch of nitpicky software issues like not being able to set the alarm to wake to an HD2/3 subchannel. Also there was no backup memory at all so if the power went out you'd lose everything from the time to your presets. It's possible Sangean is shipping a newer firmware version by now but I have no idea.

I later bought the HDR-16 which like much better. It's not a classic looking table radio like the HDR-18 but it sounds good and works well. My only complaint is there are only 5 presets per band, but manually tuning other stations via the large rotary knob is pretty quick which somewhat makes up for it. I've tried a lot of HD radios and IMO this is the best one so far. I kept it.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-08-2018, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Sangean HDR-18

I did get a Sangean HDR-18 a couple of days ago. I will say that it works much better than my old Radiosophy HD100 does. However, mine may ended up getting returned, also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I got one very recently. It's at the office. I quite like it, though the single speaker is just silly. I knew that going in, and chose it anyway. The tonal quality is very good for so very small a speaker and unit overall. I listen very quietly since it's at the office, and I'm pleased with bass volume and treble quality and clarity. Both voice and music sound good to me (again, within the parameters we're discussing here).

It is difficult for me to evaluate the tuner itself for a couple of reasons--
1) My facility is very difficult to receive or transmit radio signals of any kind in or from.
2) I've only used the thing for about a week, and I'm not just sitting at my desk for much of the day.

Those points notwithstanding, I am able to receive I think all but two or three of the FM HD stations that are allegedly operating in the Phoenix metro area. One of those I'm almost positive isn't broadcasting HD, because my wife's car doesn't receive it in HD, either, no matter where we go. I have received one AM HD station in the facility, and it's nearly a miracle that I receive any AM radio at all there. I hope to be able to 'annex' some space away from the interference-generating stuff soon, so hopefully that'll clean up the FM side of things. Even the analog FM stations with strong (reported) signal have significant interference in them.

I've only recently discovered what HD radio has to offer, and I REALLY like it!

I'll keep my eyes open for yard sales and such, looking for some small stereo speakers I can plug into this machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page