DXE-AFHD-4 Antenna for home rooftop Hybrid Digital HD radio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LHenton

post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2020, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
DXE-AFHD-4 Antenna for home rooftop Hybrid Digital HD radio

I am awaiting shipment of a DXE-AFHD-4 antenna from the exclusive distrubutor, DX Engineering in Ohio USA. I will initially use it with two tuners: Sangean HDT-20 and Sony XDR-F1HD. Rooftop installation on a short mast on a two-story house on a hilltop is scheduled for May 29, 2020. Would any forum users be casually interested in hearing about my subjective impressions of this experiment? I will be comparing the new settup with the prior attic antenna setup. Also will be comparing it with a Grace Digital internet radio tuner and Roku Ultra SiriusXM stream and Tidal HiFi stream. I use the radio to listen to sports and discover music. Station KSER independent public radio in Everett, WA (state) has a 64kb stream. I prefer the radio broadcast.
bulwnkl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2020, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

By the way, Solid Signal also retails the DXE-AFHD-4 antenna. It is manufactured similar to discontinued InLogis and Pixel Technologies units.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2020, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sure, I get alerts from this forum and like reading about antennas. This one looks like a 4 ft fiberglass whip like truckers use, such as the AM/FM FireStik.

I had a vertical steel whip hooked up for a while, a Metz SS-8 which was also sold at twice the price as a Magnum Dynalab ST-2. Those antennas got plenty of hype in some AV magazines but I found the performance pretty similar to the wire dipole thrown in with most FM radios so I eventually took it down. Vertical whips don't have much, if any, gain but I think the reason they work well for some people is because they get mounted up high on a roof, unobstructed by interior walls. If it ends up working well for you then that's the only thing that really matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-24-2020, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Presently May 24, 2020 p.m. Westher forecast is looking A.Ok. for a rooftop antenna install next Friday afternoon May 29. One of two shipments of equipment has already been delivered. This will be my first rooftop antenna! Have been thinking back to the late. 1960's when I DX'd with shortwave and AM radio's. I remember Heathkits. Have looked at radio-locator(dot)com for anticipated reception. 75 distant and a total of 115 including fringe AM and FM stations for Lynnwood, WA 98036 my location. Many also on internet easily grouped on my out of production Grace Digital internet tuner. Looking forward to the upgraded antenna experiment.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2020, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
fmfool.com is another good site to check anticipated reception.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-26-2020, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page