Soundworks 820HD Radio - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 05-01-2007, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman67 View Post

It seems that the Sangean HDT1 has generated alot of praise on this site. After all for $200.00 it is a bargain. I had the oppurtunity to compare The Sangean with an Onkyo T9090II. Anybody tht knows vintage tuners knkows it is one of the best ever made at least for under $1000. As far as picking up stations they are both about even in terms of how many. The Sangean according to one site I checked out appears to have over 60db of adjacent channel selectivity. The Onkyo has always been know to have aound 45db. Even with the extra selectivity the Sangean has it isn't enough to ward off adjacent interference from HD channels, so there appears to be no difference in that regard. In fact the Onyo's rating is more than adequate for dealing with situations where there is no HD adjacent channels. I will say that the onkyo is still the king of the hill in DX. It received the weaker stations with less noise and held onto a stereo signal longer than the Sangean. If two channels occupied the same frequency the Onkyo fared better in this area also. Don't get me wrong. I think the Sangean is a remarkable Dxer, especially at $200.00, but at that price you can't expect miracles, but it would be nice. Now as far as sound When comparing the two with analog only channels I give the nod to the Onkyo. The sound was more open and natural sounding with tighter bass more accurate midrange and a smoother treble that won't irritate. For HD stations on the Sangean to sound better than the same channels the Onkyo picks up in analog form that depends on the station. On a couple stations in my area that i think do an excellent job with HD it can be a decent listening experience in HD. I am going to say that The onkyo sound is slightly better than the best HD stations on the Sangean. Mainly because analog has no compression artifacts that HD has. On the best stations it is minimal however. maybe when the Broadcast engineers get a better handle on how to utilize HD, the results could be different, But not right now. It is good to keep a good analog tuner on hand since the Sangean cannot switch to analog manually because lets face it, some statrions are so bad at HD that any analog tuner will give you a better sound. By the way I should state That I live in Southern NJ 15 miles south of where most Philadelphia stations transmit from and almost all of them now transmit in HD. One final note: I wish I never got rid of my Sansui TU 919. It is the best sounding tuner I ever owned period and is well sought after because of that. If anyone ever heard that tuner in action they know the Sangean and other HD tuners may never beat it in terms of audio. Lets hope more tuners like the Sangean will grace our presence since it looks like the future of FM. For More on the Sangean HDT1 click on this link. Note how empty inside it is.

http://users.tns.net/~bb/hdt-1.htm

i will post this in the apprpriate thread. I guess I just have to figure out how these work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-09-2007, 12:03 PM

Can anyone tell me if the 820HD allows the alarm to wake you to a multicast channel?
post #33 of 45 Old 05-09-2007, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Theseus View Post

Can anyone tell me if the 820HD allows the alarm to wake you to a multicast channel?

Good catch! It cannot wake you to an HD2 nor HD3 channel from what I can see on mine. The alarms settings allow you to choose type of wake up mode of Tone, FM or AM . But it does not allow one to choose the HD subchannels of any particular station. So it will only come on with the main channel in analog or in HD1.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 05-09-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased View Post

Good catch! It cannot wake you to an HD2 nor HD3 channel from what I can see on mine. The alarms settings allow you to choose type of wake up mode of Tone, FM or AM . But it does not allow one to choose the HD subchannels of any particular station. So it will only come on with the main channel in analog or in HD1.

This is probably not the appropriate place then, but if that is a feature you are looking for refer to the Sangean HDR-1! It does! And it has reception that (when using the dipole antenna) is equal to that of the HDT-1!!
post #35 of 45 Old 05-09-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Theseus View Post

This is probably not the appropriate place then, but if that is a feature you are looking for refer to the Sangean HDR-1! It does! And it has reception that (when using the dipole antenna) is equal to that of the HDT-1!!

I did not realize the HDR-1 was a clock radio. I may have a new purchase.
post #36 of 45 Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwagoner View Post

I did not realize the HDR-1 was a clock radio. I may have a new purchase.

Finally found a review released somewhere else besides here, on the internet for the Soundworks 820HD. It is a review on CNET reviews site:

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/radio-...5.html?tag=box

They seem to like it. I do too but I think it is over priced for what it is.

post #37 of 45 Old 12-06-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What settings have most used for Bass & Treble ? Anyone using the Loudness on ???
post #38 of 45 Old 12-09-2007, 08:09 PM

I have not been on for awhile, but have to report that my HD-820 LCD light display has failed and gone dark. What a bummer. The radio has been just sitting in my bedroom used as an alarm clock every weekday alarming me to wake up. It has worked fine since then except the one thing that seems to plague Cambridge Soundworks clock radio... the clock runs slow and loses time and you will alway have to reset the time to catch it up to current time every month or so. Now with the dead LCD display light, I cannot see the time clock to adjust it anymore no can I see what tuning frequencies I am on. Dang. Be warned... not reliable. Great sound for a table radio but now it is a pain to use with the dead light. Bought it from a reseller on Amazon.com (Infinity Sales) and they won't answer my emails about service. I will try Cambridge Soundworks soon but I don't think they will service it under warranty since I bought it from Infinity Sales who is not on their authorized dealers list.

02/27/2010 Update: Wow! It has been just over 2 years since I posted this problem with my 820HD radio. I have been just living with the dead LCD display light ever since I first posted about it here! I just used it to listen to the radio all this time and did not adjust the clock time nore alarms. And I never unplugged it to lose my settings. Anyway, I just dusted it off last night and was looking at the dead LCD screen as I turned it on and was blindly fiddling with it tuning in stations. Then something came over me and I was thinking what a piece of s_it this is and decided to see if I can cause the display light to come on by giving it a good fast hard whack right on top of the unit (where the snooze button is). I did that... and low and behold the LCD Display light came back on and the pretty blue screen background with white fonts started working again! Whoooweee! I was delighted to see that the LCD info was all working (implying that it was not a burnt out IC chip or logic problem). What this tells me is that it is probably some bad or loose connections to the LCD display module. The whack I gave it apparently vibrated the connector enought to scrap whatever oxidation on the contacts away to start conducting electricity again and the light came back on!
So if anyone with an 820HD radio has this light display problem... you might want to try this whack trick or if it really is a bad contacting connection, open the radio and clean and reset the contact connections to the LCD display module. The LCD module did not go bad as I had originally feared after all! Hope this info saves someone from trashing their 820HD radio! It has turned out to be a nice sounding radio and all using outdoor antenna. The only major flaw on mine though is that its clock runs slow and requires constant resetting to correct time. It does not keep accurate time (which seems to be a problem with all the Cambridge SoundWorks radios that I have). I wonder what is the main reason that they've discontinued this HD radio?

2nd Update 12/06/2010 - I stumbled upon this old thread again to say that the LCD display light went out again only after a a couple of months after I got it to come back on. I could not get the LCD light on this dang unit to light up again, so once again I cannot easily adjust time nor stations when I need to. It still sounds great for a little table radio, but it is a piece of crap for reliability. No wonder they discontinued it.

post #39 of 45 Old 12-09-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased View Post

I have not been on for awhile, but have to report that my HD-820 LCD light display has failed and gone dark. What a bummer. The radio has been just sitting in my bedroom used as an alarm clock every weekday alarming me to wake up. It has worked fine since then except the one thing that seems to plague Cambridge Soundworks clock radio... the clock runs slow and loses time and you will alway have to reset the time to catch it up to current time every month or so. Now with the dead LCD display light, I cannot see the time clock to adjust it anymore no can I see what tuning frequencies I am on. Dang. Be warned... not reliable. Great sound for a table radio but now it is a pain to use with the dead light. Bought it from a reseller on Amazon.com (Infinity Sales) and they won't answer my emails about service. I will try Cambridge Soundworks soon but I don't think they will service it under warranty since I bought it from Infinity Sales who is not on their authorized dealers list.

Probably a fairly easy repair if they don't cover it.
post #40 of 45 Old 12-09-2007, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would call 1-800-367-4434... They have been very helpful ... Have Serial Number to help them look up info or any updates.. May just be a reboot thing. http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...&roi=giftguide
post #41 of 45 Old 12-11-2007, 12:20 AM

The SoundWorks Radio 820HD is a stereo table radio that provides an ideal platform to enjoy crystal-clear reception with HD Radio technology and programming. Cambridge SoundWorks' award-winning audio performance, intuitive controls and efficient digital electronics provide the perfect platform to enjoy HD Radio at its best.Special attention was paid during the... More SoundWorks Radio 820HD's development to ensure the clearest possible reception of HD Radio broadcast. A unique-in-class telescoping antenna supports the FM band, while a gener
post #42 of 45 Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My HD 820 is working great ... Any other People with Comments & Questions ? Tips on better AM HD ? What FM Antenna worked best for You ?
post #43 of 45 Old 05-05-2018, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have the 820HD Radio has worked great from New. Last 3 Mo. I have had to Reboot & All OK.
Now will not come Back On. Screen lights up, but will not back up with even Clock & Date.
Any Suggestions ? I had lot of Friends in Broadcasting get this Radio for a Monitor.
post #44 of 45 Old 05-09-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
I have the 820HD Radio has worked great from New. Last 3 Mo. I have had to Reboot & All OK.
Now will not come Back On. Screen lights up, but will not back up with even Clock & Date.
Any Suggestions ? I had lot of Friends in Broadcasting get this Radio for a Monitor.
[email protected] replying to a 10 year old post
post #45 of 45 Old 05-09-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes,
I know 10 Years. I was wanting a pulse of How many still Here to. My Niece still working fine.

I will CK with manufacture for support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page