Sub as TV stand, thoughts? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since a picture is worth a thousand words:

It's not to scale, I just drew that for effect. It would be a pair of 12s, front firing and front ported, if ported. No phase issues this way, plus I need something to set my 42" lcd onto. Now, would this cause any problems as far as vibrations? I was going 3/4 MDF braced with a double front baffle, and ply sides sort of thing. If I can get away with this I will try it, anyone think this will shake my TV to death?

Alternatively I can build a giant, upside down U to go over it for the TV which should separate them, and I can still have my sub front and center.

Another option is to build two boxes and have them to either side of the TV as speaker stands, or next to them. I'm not 100% on any plan yet, want your thoughts about placement. I don't need coverage, just good in-phase bass in front of the TV. My 12s model well solo or together in one big box so what would you guys do?

Right now the TV is sitting on a spare coffee table
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
As much as I find the front firing drivers and ports sexy, I am going to have to defer my preference to the opposed orientation, even very heavy cabinets vibrate, I don't like vibrating TV's, My dual EHQS sub was very heavy and had a built in plate amp, it was downfiring and stuff will actually rattle and launch off of it, front firing subs aren't as bad though, the objects tend to slide through the vibrations easier and aren't affected.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Opposed firing is a better idea. I am using a dual opposed-firing SDX15 ported box as a TV stand and I still get some vibration at high output levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Wall mounting out of the question?
post #5 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
I haven't done much research into it, but I hate the prices I have seen for wall mounts, $150-250, way too much imo.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I haven't done much research into it, but I hate the prices I have seen for wall mounts, $150-250, way too much imo.

hehe, $2 plus shipping which is around $25 on ebay I have 5 from ebay and I have purchased 4 for different friends, they are the same tilted wall mounts people see in local BBs for $150.

I once had someone else bid $3 on a wallmount to outbid me, the dumbass didnt realize there are like 10 different items to bid on. I just bid on another one to get it for $2.

EDIT: Just looked, they are more money these days. I guess the $2 ones are gone...still only $20 plus shipping on there.

If the TV is a flat panel then you should mounted, it looks so much cleaner on a wall.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #7 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 05:26 AM

Though my sub has yet to vibrate even the slightest, I wouldn't mount my TV on it. I've wall mounted my TV that way I could get it exactly the correct hight. If you want to buy a new mount fairly cheap check out monoprice
post #8 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfactor View Post

Wall mounting out of the question?

It was for the time being, but now that you mention it....

Plus apparently they are cheap on fleabay I'll look, no time right now, but that's an excellent idea.

What about cables and all that junk? I imagine there is room back there after you mount it? I wish I only had one HDMI cord going to it, but I've got a few things until I get it all sorted out (1 dvi, 1 hdmi, 1 set of components, so that's 3 wires + power cord)

Oh and.... the fleabay mounts.... don't fall down at night or anything do they?
post #9 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can vouch for the monoprice tv wall mounts. I bought one for my 50" Plasma and it holds up perfectly. It was under $30.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 12:33 AM

It'd be cool if you could do like a sideways sonosub and kind of build a "box" with braces and shelves. The braces would support the sonosub in the center of the box, then you could have space to put stuff near the bottom and top of if. You know what I mean? It's kind of like those toys little kids play with where you have to put the right blocks in the right shape. Just imagine putting a cylinder in a square. I don't know how this whole idea came into my head haha. I think it was from watching Idiocracy at such a late time.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 09:07 PM

why not use them to put the l/r speakers on and then put a center under the TV on the stands for the L/R's you have?

My "Route 66 Basement Theater" Build Thread
post #12 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
apposed drivers in a very heavy box should be fine but if it were me I would wall mount the tv. I have my 42" plasma held up by a $25 monoprice mount and have never had any problems with it. I would definitely buy from monoprice over ebay.

All of my cable fit behind the low profile mount just fine (hdmi, hdmi, component, composite, and power cable). If you really want to only run one hdmi to the tv then you should check out some new receivers. The onkyo 605 is currently being clearanced for around $300 at many places and would do a great job allowing you to just run 1 hdmi.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-20-2008, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I have decided to do the wallmount, and looks like I'll be going to monoprice. Thanks for the reviews of those, I feel a bit safer now.

The sonotube idea is neat and I was kicking something like that around myself. A long, horizontal tube with end caps and opposed firing drivers would be easy as pie it seems, but then I've got a friggin greek pillar on it's side. It's a thought anyway, if I get large enough dia. tube I can even port them on the sides next to the drivers (the drivers are only 12")

As far as the center channel, for one I don't have one. Since I'm using paradigms for fronts now, I may look into a cc4xx or whatnot, but for now I don't miss having one (smaller room, stereo effect works well enough). When I get/make one I might stick it on top of the sub or above the TV; I'll have to play around and see what sound better. Ideally I can get them all the same level but ideally I'd also have a 150" FP with a basement silo sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page