Help With Modeling 15" TC-1000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am trying to model two 15" TC-1000 drivers in a sealed box. I only have enough room for one box, 20"x15"x49" for both drivers, which calculates at about 6.9 cu. ft. before deducting contents. Can someone confirm I am close with the attached plots for SPL and cone excursion? The way I interpret it, cone excursion runs out (XMax) at 20 Hz with 1500 watts (750/driver). Is this correct? I also attached a pdf of an archived web page with the driver t/s specs and the WinISD file...thanks.
LL
LL

TC Sounds (TC-1000).pdf 333.087890625k . file

TC Sounds 15_ TC-1000.zip 0.69140625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip TC Sounds 15_ TC-1000.zip (708 Bytes, 10 views)
File Type: pdf TC Sounds (TC-1000).pdf (333.1 KB, 105 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well, I like the way you picked enclosure sizes. IMO, a driver should run out of xmax in the teens with the power you're going to use. If you're going to use a lot of power, shrink the size to reduce excursion. If you're not using a lot, increase box size to help make the most of the power you have available. From there, you can eq whatever response you need.

YID DIY
post #3 of 9 Old 11-10-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Well, I like the way you picked enclosure sizes. IMO, a driver should run out of xmax in the teens with the power you're going to use. If you're going to use a lot of power, shrink the size to reduce excursion. If you're not using a lot, increase box size to help make the most of the power you have available. From there, you can eq whatever response you need.

Thanks, Looney.....actually I was looking for verification of my numbers to make sure I am using and interpreting WinISD correctly.....I have an EP2500/eQ.2 with these two bnib drivers, and only want to build (and have room for) one box right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-12-2009, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 691
750w per driver is a bit on the high side, *if* you plan to use them with music and really crank them up. I have let a bit of smoke off the coils on my pair, but they are still fine.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, impulsivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-12-2009, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
its really hard to go wrong in a sealed box. for example, a big error in your calculation only leads to a very small frequency response difference. I would just build what you have so far, it looks pretty convincing.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-12-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post

750w per driver is a bit on the high side, *if* you plan to use them with music and really crank them up. I have let a bit of smoke off the coils on my pair, but they are still fine.

Geezus Mike...What are you doing to those poor things? You are as bad as me on equipment.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-12-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Pushing them to find their limits, like I do with most all of the stuff I own. Just like pushing a vehicle... the first time you have 550+ hp under your foot it's a huge rush... but after a while, it gets to become natural, and you seek more.

One day I am gonna jump out of a perfectly good airplane as well.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, impulsivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-14-2009, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I first got my 15" TC1000 I built a box that was 6 1/2 ^3 and ported it. I didn't like the sound at all. I closed off the port and tried it again.... still didn't like it. I ended up going to a 6' x 24" sono tube with an 8" port @ 16"
post #9 of 9 Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post

Pushing them to find their limits, like I do with most all of the stuff I own. Just like pushing a vehicle... the first time you have 550+ hp under your foot it's a huge rush... but after a while, it gets to become natural, and you seek more.

What you need now is 160hp with a twist of the wrist

YID DIY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page