304Likes

post #3541 of 4401 Old 04-19-2016, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolaco View Post
I just placed my order for one on CSL . It's a small price to pay for something that will always come in handy. Since i'm making a trip down to Niagara, i figured i may as well spend the little extra to get it calibrated. Not sure if i was doing something wrong but MiniDSP charges 20 in shipping? That puts it really close to the 110 including shipping that CSL charges.

Good choice, as I was reading I was going to reply and say you were overthinking it, but glad to see you're willing to open Pandora's box.

What is that famous quote? "It is better to have mic'd and not been able to create a perfect full spectrum sweep than to never have mic'd at all" =)
dcolaco likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 4401 Old 04-19-2016, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadzi View Post
Good choice, as I was reading I was going to reply and say you were overthinking it, but glad to see you're willing to open Pandora's box.

What is that famous quote? "It is better to have mic'd and not been able to create a perfect full spectrum sweep than to never have mic'd at all" =)
Haha yup I tend to over think things and Im scared for my free time now that I'll be diving into REW haha.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

NAD D1050 > NAD C320BEE / MiniDSP 2x4 > PSB X2T's / Rythmik FVX15
post #3543 of 4401 Old 04-19-2016, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolaco View Post
Haha yup I tend to over think things and Im scared for my free time now that I'll be diving into REW haha.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Definitely a learning experience and at some point you have to leave well enough alone, enjoy!
dcolaco likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3544 of 4401 Old 04-19-2016, 08:50 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11023 Post(s)
Liked: 6571
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
Solen : http://solen.ca/products/electronics...uipment/umm-6/ $105 CDN, Same one as I have.

They "WERE" cheaper

What is CSL ?
I have both the UMM-6 and the UMIK-1. There is no performance difference between the two, measured with REW. However, I find the UMIK-1 to be a slightly sturdier construction, so I would recommend it over the UMM-6. Both of my mics were purchased from Cross Spectrum Labs with custom calibration files.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #3545 of 4401 Old 04-19-2016, 08:52 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwf477 View Post
How do I set the gain properly on my sub amplifers using the balanced miniDSP? If the mini was not part of the equation I would be okay the issue I am having the mini has the input and output gain that is where I have the problem how do I know where to set it?? I was thinking of doing it this way:
1. Disconnect all speakers
2. Turn avr trim up on all speakers in avr
3. Play 0dbfs tone through all speakers, use "All Channel mode"
4. Crank avr to 0db (or cleanest level before distortion)
..now you have max voltage coming out of the avr's sub pre-out....
5. Turn your subs pro-amp input gain up until the indicator flickers red then goes solid red. (Note this setting, don't ever change it)
6. Rerun your room correction in the avr to set your speaker/sub trims in the avr OR use a spl meter to set your speakers and sub trims in your AVR, using your avr's built in tones so that each speaker and your sub are playing 75db at your listening position.

Once that is done then go back and adjust the input to max adjust the output to right before clipping. Really just looking for a simple way to do this thanks in advance.
TBH, your method sound overly complicated, and I am not sure it achieves the objective. If you take a look at the MiniDSP guide linked in my sig, the first section describes the proper procedure for gain-matching the subs.
post #3546 of 4401 Old 04-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwf477 View Post
How do I set the gain properly on my sub amplifers using the balanced miniDSP? If the mini was not part of the equation I would be okay the issue I am having the mini has the input and output gain that is where I have the problem how do I know where to set it?? I was thinking of doing it this way:
1. Disconnect all speakers
2. Turn avr trim up on all speakers in avr
3. Play 0dbfs tone through all speakers, use "All Channel mode"
4. Crank avr to 0db (or cleanest level before distortion)
..now you have max voltage coming out of the avr's sub pre-out....
5. Turn your subs pro-amp input gain up until the indicator flickers red then goes solid red. (Note this setting, don't ever change it)
6. Rerun your room correction in the avr to set your speaker/sub trims in the avr OR use a spl meter to set your speakers and sub trims in your AVR, using your avr's built in tones so that each speaker and your sub are playing 75db at your listening position.

Once that is done then go back and adjust the input to max adjust the output to right before clipping. Really just looking for a simple way to do this thanks in advance.
I have done something like this in the past to minimize the risk of input signal clipping. In my case I ran a 50Hz sine wave with the sub disconnected, using channel 4 in REW at -3dBFS with maximum main volume. Then adjust the input sensitivity knobs/settings to maximize signal without clipping - a scope would be better to see the onset of clipping, but the clip lights are probably good enough.

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #3547 of 4401 Old 04-19-2016, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
TBH, your method sound overly complicated, and I am not sure it achieves the objective. If you take a look at the MiniDSP guide linked in my sig, the first section describes the proper procedure for gain-matching the subs.

Adding all speaker channels does seem like a bit more work than is warranted, but the procedure should work. Why do you suggest that it would not work?

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #3548 of 4401 Old 04-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Okay thru trial and error I followed how to set the gain using the minidsp. With the sub trim at 0db the front panel attenuation knobs on the amps are less than half. After I got done tried it out not bad however I found this as well:

Regardless of the amp, I set the sub output on the receiver/processor to -6db to -8db and then adjust the gains in the amp to level set where I want.

Doing this helps prevent two different things when cranking music/movies:

1. Clipping the sub out on the receiver
2. Clipping the input on the MiniDSP
So which is more correct I really do not care as long as none of my equipment takes a nose dive I am fine.
post #3549 of 4401 Old 04-26-2016, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am close to order the miniDSP balanced w/ power adapter + UMIC-1.

I remember reading a post on this thread somewhere where someone had to pay the customs import duties. I think he was in the west coast, US and it was shipped via FedEx.

The order page says "small items - USPS" and "large items - FedEx". I heard FedEx charges those fees but not USPS. I would appreciate if anyone who has received the miniDSP can answer these questions

1. Has anyone else been hit by the customs fees?
2. Was it shipped via USPS or FedEx?
3. I want the miniDSP with power adapter and the UMIC-1. Will this be considered a large item?

I am in the east coast in Virginia.

Thanks!
post #3550 of 4401 Old 04-27-2016, 01:04 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerwatanabe View Post
I am close to order the miniDSP balanced w/ power adapter + UMIC-1.

I remember reading a post on this thread somewhere where someone had to pay the customs import duties. I think he was in the west coast, US and it was shipped via FedEx.

The order page says "small items - USPS" and "large items - FedEx". I heard FedEx charges those fees but not USPS. I would appreciate if anyone who has received the miniDSP can answer these questions

1. Has anyone else been hit by the customs fees?
2. Was it shipped via USPS or FedEx?
3. I want the miniDSP with power adapter and the UMIC-1. Will this be considered a large item?

I am in the east coast in Virginia.

Thanks!
I have ordered several MiniDSP products. I don't recall being billed for import duties for either of two 2x4's (unbalanced and balanced). However, for a DDRC-88A (a $1000 product), the carrier paid the import duty and sent me an invoice several days after the shipment. I ordered a UMIK-1 from Cross Spectrum Labs here in the US, and paid no import duty. I don't recall whether FedEx was involved in the 2x4 shipments.

Keep in mind that the import duties are quite low (5-6% IIRC), which for an inexpensive product like the 2x4 will be almost negligible.
post #3551 of 4401 Old 04-27-2016, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
I didn't pay custom fees either, im in the southeast, ordered on a Wednesday and had it on Saturday. Fast shipping for half way round the world.
post #3552 of 4401 Old 04-27-2016, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Mine came Fed Ex. I paid duties. Both for the 2x4 as well as my Fp10000q clone.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
post #3553 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Hi guys.

Mini DSP is all setup in my chain and soon as I set my delay for the rear subs to 7ms delay..............the bass has literally come alive!. HOLY FKN **** ITS AWESOME!! hahaha. For ages Audyssey Pro just never sounded right.....it looks like it could of been a delay/phase problem?. I ran a Audyssey Pro 3pt cal and it has definetly tightened everything up. Im almost there!!

Now my question today is....I bought my Mini dsp just a week ago....So ill assume it has the Rev 1.7 PCB?...so i can switch it from the 2v to 4v setting?......reason I am asking is because certain movies like The Incredible Hulk at reference with the subs 7db hot.....It feels like the bass volume drops...like its not as intense

Could this be the mini dsp clipping the signal?...both inputs 1 & 2 were almost at the -3/ -2 marks at one stage on the input channels in the plugin.

I have 4 Submersives and all of them are 2 clicks from the off position so they are at very low volume. My sub trims on my Integra 80.3 are -10.0 and -9.5. I dont have a Multi meter to check all of this as Im a n00b to all of this. Should I up the voltage on the mini dsp to 4v from the stock 2v position? *if I have the rev 1.7 board, how do i check this?*...to see if it makes a difference?.

Thanks again for all of your help...........if I fix this small issue this thing will literally be the best piece I have ever put in my system

Cheers,
Kevin

EDIT - Found this for my Integra DHC 80.3 - It's rated for 2v but the Maximum XLR Output is 11v...............Could this be as simple as changing the jumper to 4v?

Integra - DHC -80.3

Input Sensitivity and Impedance
200 mV/47 k-ohms (Line)
2.5 mV/47 k-ohms (Phono MM)
Rated RCA Output Level and Impedance
1.0 V/470 ohms (Pre out)
Maximum RCA Output Level and Impedance
5.5 V/470 ohms (Pre out)
Rated XLR Output Level and Impedance
2.0 V/470 ohms (Pre out)
Maximum XLR Output Level and Impedance
11.0 V/470 ohms (Pre out)

Last edited by buddhamus; 04-30-2016 at 06:22 AM.
post #3554 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked: 2993
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post
Hi guys.

Mini DSP is all setup in my chain and soon as I set my delay for the rear subs to 7ms delay..............the bass has literally come alive!. HOLY FKN **** ITS AWESOME!! hahaha. For ages Audyssey Pro just never sounded right.....it looks like it could of been a delay/phase problem?. I ran a Audyssey Pro 3pt cal and it has definetly tightened everything up. Im almost there!!

Now my question today is....I bought my Mini dsp just a week ago....So ill assume it has the Rev 1.7 PCB?...so i can switch it from the 2v to 4v setting?......reason I am asking is because certain movies like The Incredible Hulk at reference with the subs 7db hot.....It feels like the bass volume drops...like its not as intense

Could this be the mini dsp clipping the signal?...both inputs 1 & 2 were almost at the -3/ -2 marks at one stage on the input channels in the plugin.

I have 4 Submersives and all of them are 2 clicks from the off position so they are at very low volume. My sub trims on my Integra 80.3 are -10.0 and -9.5. I dont have a Multi meter to check all of this as Im a n00b to all of this. Should I up the voltage on the mini dsp to 4v from the stock 2v position? *if I have the rev 1.7 board, how do i check this?*...to see if it makes a difference?.

Thanks again for all of your help...........if I fix this small issue this thing will literally be the best piece I have ever put in my system
Which miniDSP do you have? Is it the balanced 2x4 unit?

It's hard to say for sure without measuring the voltages, but I would not expect reference level playback with the sub trims at -10 and -9.5 to clip the balanced 2x4 miniDSP's input.
post #3555 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 07:56 AM

Yeah 2x4 unit..... Bloody hell... Well that sucks... What about - 5 then.... That's my normal listening level lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
post #3556 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 08:04 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Hi guys.

Cheers,
Kevin

EDIT - Found this for my Integra DHC 80.3 - It's rated for 2v but the Maximum XLR Output is 11v...............Could this be as simple as changing the jumper to 4v?

Integra - DHC -80.3

Input Sensitivity and Impedance
200 mV/47 k-ohms (Line)
2.5 mV/47 k-ohms (Phono MM)
Rated RCA Output Level and Impedance
1.0 V/470 ohms (Pre out)
Maximum RCA Output Level and Impedance
5.5 V/470 ohms (Pre out)
Rated XLR Output Level and Impedance

2.0 V/470 ohms (Pre out)Maximum XLR Output Level and Impedance
11.0 V/470 ohms (Pre out)
You can tell the PCB version by opening the case and looking at the board.

You can see if you are clipping by launching the 2x4 Plug-in and observing the signal output meters. If clipping, the indicator will be up in the red area.
post #3557 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

@buddhamus : The adjustments will be an iterative process because you need to adjust the signal to noise all through the chain. Besides the jumper, as stated above you also have the input and output attenuation settings in the MiniDSP software, in addition to the AVR trim setting and your sub amp signal attenuation knob. Based on your post you probably want 4V jumper. To adjust the MiniDSP settings, mute the output or disconnect the subs and then send a high amplitude signal to the MiniDSP. You can use a 50-60Hz REW sine wave at -3dBFS at 0 MV on the AVR or whatever your max volume level is. Then attenuate the input attenuation in the MiniDSP if you observe clipping, until it goes away and you have a little headroom to apply whatever additional PEQ gain adjustments, so you avoid clipping on both the input and output. At that point you should be able to send a clean signal through the MiniDSP, but the signal level could be different than it was previously. So you might then need to iterate tweaking all of these settings a couple times and adjust the knob on the sub amp and/or the AVR trim. Hopefully that is clear.
buddhamus likes this.

post #3558 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoDTM View Post
@buddhamus : The adjustments will be an iterative process because you need to adjust the signal to noise all through the chain. Besides the jumper, as stated above you also have the input and output attenuation settings in the MiniDSP software, in addition to the AVR trim setting and your sub amp signal attenuation knob. Based on your post you probably want 4V jumper. To adjust the MiniDSP settings, mute the output or disconnect the subs and then send a high amplitude signal to the MiniDSP. You can use a 50-60Hz REW sine wave at -3dBFS at 0 MV on the AVR or whatever your max volume level is. Then attenuate the input attenuation in the MiniDSP if you observe clipping, until it goes away and you have a little headroom to apply whatever additional PEQ gain adjustments, so you avoid clipping on both the input and output. At that point you should be able to send a clean signal through the MiniDSP, but the signal level could be different than it was previously. So you might then need to iterate tweaking all of these settings a couple times and adjust the knob on the sub amp and/or the AVR trim. Hopefully that is clear.
Thank u so much for this!. I will give this a try tommorow. I will mute the subs.... Run that test tone through REW and observe the input and out levels on the plugin and adjust all the trims accordingly!

post #3559 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You can tell the PCB version by opening the case and looking at the board.

You can see if you are clipping by launching the 2x4 Plug-in and observing the signal output meters. If clipping, the indicator will be up in the red area.
Thanks for this Austin!! Really appreciate all the help u guys are giving me

post #3560 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Yeah 2x4 unit..... Bloody hell... Well that sucks... What about - 5 then.... That's my normal listening level lol

Do you have the balanced version or just the regular SE version ?

I have the SE version and ditched it, they clip way to easy. I just received my 2x4 balanced version yesterday.
post #3561 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

I've had my balanced 2x4 since I think January and still haven't put it in the system.
Tried to download/install REW with no luck. Just have yet to try again to see what the problem is.

post #3562 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I've got you beat. I bought mine 2 years ago and haven't installed it yet.
Iron Maiden likes this.
post #3563 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Electric Wiz View Post
I've got you beat. I bought mine 2 years ago and haven't installed it yet.
Just had to out-do me, huh??? lol
Does it count that I also have a pair of FTW-21's and an Fp10000q amp just sitting here collecting dust with the 2x4?!?!?
Might even have a pair of UXL's coming soon. Guess I better get busy.

post #3564 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Haha I know how it goes.
Almost done with my infinite baffle sub system, and all the various pieces that go with it.
post #3565 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Just finally got REW downloaded. 1 step closer to getting the 2x4 installed!

post #3566 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Just finally got REW downloaded. 1 step closer to getting the 2x4 installed!
why was it so hard to download and get going ?
post #3567 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
why was it so hard to download and get going ?
I tried to download and didn't pay attention to what was going on. Think I just needed to download Java. Once I did that, the REW install wizard fired up and it installed.

post #3568 of 4401 Old 04-30-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Do you have the balanced version or just the regular SE version ?

I have the SE version and ditched it, they clip way to easy. I just received my 2x4 balanced version yesterday.
Yeah I got the balanced 2x4... Didn't bother with the rca version.

post #3569 of 4401 Old 05-01-2016, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Do any of you guys own the balanced MiniDsp 2x4HD? Thinking of either picking up the regular balanced 2x4 or the 2x4HD.
post #3570 of 4401 Old 05-01-2016, 07:19 AM

2x4HD is not balanced... Only rca so far. Will be interesting what they do to the balanced version tho

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page