Originally Posted by Chirosamsung
I have a question about making PEQ filters for my dual subs through REW and exporting them into my MiniSSP 2x4 HD.
If I did my measurements in REW with my Dirac room calibration off and set my sub gain to 0 and my sub trim to 0 for the sake of the measurements to be sent to the MiniDSP would it matter if after they are sent to the MiniDSP I was to return my sub gain to -12 or -14 and turn DIRAC on?
Would that make the PEQ not relevant or accurate if at different sub gain levels?
Also, Iâ€™️m guessing that the measurements with the room correction off is best-thatâ€™️s what I did. I only measured both subs with no speakers attatched btw
I also have multiple subs, use a 2x4, and have Dirac Live room correction, so my guidelines may be useful. My approach is as follows:
1. I turn off room correction prior to the sub-only REW measurements, leave the mains off, and measure 15-300Hz.
2. I do NOT alter the sub amp gain level for the REW measurements (i.e. leave the gain settings the same as when the last Dirac Live session was conducted).
3. I use the AVR master volume to set the level of the REW measurements, with my target level for the measurement 90dB.
4. I load the resulting REW measurement into REW's EQ tool and click on the link that sets the level to what was used for the measurement sweep (it should show very close to 90dB).
5. In the EQ tool, I set the target type to "Subwoofer" and leave the other settings at default values for the first pass.
6. I then click "Match response to target" and observe the Predicted Response.
7. If the Predicted Response does not meet my expectations, I experiment with adjusting the settings until I have reached the best possible result. Remember, it is difficult to raise dips, but easy to lower peaks.
8. Upon completion, I export the results, load the filters into the 2x4, and re-measure with REW to make sure the filters have indeed produced the desired results.
9. Next, and VERY IMPORTANT, I re-run the Dirac Live calibration. Since the sub response changed when the filters were applied, the Dirac calibration for the sub channel is no longer valid.
10. Finally, I re-measure with REW to see the combined effect of the REW PEQ and the fresh Dirac Live calibration, and compare with the response prior to all this effort. Hopefully, there will be a significant improvement.