** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 427 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11801 Post(s)
Liked: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post
Major issue here

My partner has connected his subs to his HD and when he plays movies, he gets no output from the subs. NONE AT ALL. So I went over and tried to assist and here's what we found:

1. When we disconnect from the minidsp and plug it straight into the receiver we get sound.
2. With the subs plugged into the HD and REW up and running, we get sound rom the subs when playing the pink noise from the signal generator but none when we test the sub individually in the PC's control panel. We get from the speakers but not the subs.

So I assume the issue is in the HD. Could anyone identify what may be the issue?
If the output from REW when sending the test signal is from HDMI4, then you are sending an LFE signal. If you are not getting any sound from the AVR when viewing movie content, the first thing I would check would be whether the speakers are set to “Small”. If the speakers are “Large”, there would be no signal to to the subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4845 Old 01-13-2020, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
If the speakers are “Large”, there would be no signal to to the subs.
Unless the sub channel is set to "Plus" or the equivalent.
post #4833 of 4845 Old 01-13-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks AJ. Another thing to note is that when we set the option to hdmi output 4 we get nothing even in the generator. But when we set it to minidsp hdmi 1, that's when we get sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 4845 Old 01-13-2020, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Thanks, clear now. From the measurements, it is not clear why you perceive the room curve as having more bass. And what is the huge dip at 60Hz? That has to be audible. Moving the sub around will likely make that dip less severe. Have you tried alternate locations? PEQ is not going to correct it.
I reboted the Minidsp, run YPAO again and now bass are back to normal and clean.

I know the dip at 60 is very annoying but I only have two option. Sub on the left with the dip at 60Hz or sub on the right with a huge dip from 80Hz to 120Hz and my center channel has to be crossed over at 100Hz. That's why I got the MiniDSP. I need a second DIY sub, they must be build tailored and only 8". The room is small so that's ok.

Video: LG OLED 55 B7v | Calibration: i1D3 OEM, Calman Enthusiast.
Audio: Yamaha RX-V585, Polk s15e, Polk s10e, Polk s35ce, Atmos Dynavoice Magix FX-4, Sub DIY Dayton RSS210HF Ported | Calibration: MiniDSP, UMIK-1, REW
post #4835 of 4845 Old 01-13-2020, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
Thanks for the advice, but no luck so far.

That’s because the WI-DG is a buggy device. In fact, I’d call it the worst piece of Wi-Fi tech that I’ve dealt with in a long time.

I fought similar intermittent issues like you’re fighting for 3+ hours and then I gave up. I bought a 25 foot USB extension cable, connected to my 4 x 10 directly, and moved on with my life. I’ve had zero connection problems since. Save yourself some trouble and switch to USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next." -- William Shakespeare, Henry the Fourth, Part II
post #4836 of 4845 Old 01-13-2020, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Thanks AJ. Another thing to note is that when we set the option to hdmi output 4 we get nothing even in the generator. But when we set it to minidsp hdmi 1, that's when we get sound.
I would check Windows "Sound" playback tab and make sure it did not revert back to stereo. It needs to be 5.1 or 7.1 depending on your system.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
post #4837 of 4845 Old 01-13-2020, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Greer View Post
That’s because the WI-DG is a buggy device. In fact, I’d call it the worst piece of Wi-Fi tech that I’ve dealt with in a long time.

I fought similar intermittent issues like you’re fighting for 3+ hours and then I gave up. I bought a 25 foot USB extension cable, connected to my 4 x 10 directly, and moved on with my life. I’ve had zero connection problems since. Save yourself some trouble and switch to USB.

For now I want to try their instructions and see what happens. Hopefully it will get resolved so I didn't waste my money. I have a 15' cable and it's just not quite long enough to be convenient. I have a 25' in my wish list ready to go though. I've almost purchased it several times, but I thought I read somewhere (maybe it was for the UMIK mic for REW?) that 15' was the max for reliable connection.
post #4838 of 4845 Old 01-13-2020, 04:02 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 427 Post(s)
Quoted: 11801 Post(s)
Liked: 7000
Quote:
For now I want to try their instructions and see what happens. Hopefully it will get resolved so I didn't waste my money. I have a 15' cable and it's just not quite long enough to be convenient. I have a 25' in my wish list ready to go though. I've almost purchased it several times, but I thought I read somewhere (maybe it was for the UMIK mic for REW?) that 15' was the max for reliable connection.
15’ is the published maximum “supported” distance for a passive cable. Longer passive cables may work, as Ron has reported. You could also select an active USB cable to be sure it will work:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6149
post #4839 of 4845 Old 01-13-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSpig View Post
Quote:
I would check Windows "Sound" playback tab and make sure it did not revert back to stereo. It needs to be 5.1 or 7.1 depending on your system.
Did that already and it is on 7.1
post #4840 of 4845 Old 01-13-2020, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Did that already and it is on 7.1
I would next try a different HDMI on the AVR.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
post #4841 of 4845 Old 01-13-2020, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I bought this and it works for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LJKEXS..._i4rhEb5PRSPDN

Spidacat likes this.

"By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next." -- William Shakespeare, Henry the Fourth, Part II
post #4842 of 4845 Old 01-14-2020, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Thanks, clear now. From the measurements, it is not clear why you perceive the room curve as having more bass. And what is the huge dip at 60Hz? That has to be audible. Moving the sub around will likely make that dip less severe. Have you tried alternate locations? PEQ is not going to correct it.
Last night I made a quick treatment with polyfil behind the sub. The dip got much better, earned 10db.
Tonight I will try to make it even better. Now I know what the problem is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermata 2020-01-14 alle 09.14.15.png
Views:	50
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	2669692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermata 2020-01-13 alle 17.10.42.png
Views:	44
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	2669716  

Video: LG OLED 55 B7v | Calibration: i1D3 OEM, Calman Enthusiast.
Audio: Yamaha RX-V585, Polk s15e, Polk s10e, Polk s35ce, Atmos Dynavoice Magix FX-4, Sub DIY Dayton RSS210HF Ported | Calibration: MiniDSP, UMIK-1, REW

Last edited by MrRobotoPlus; 01-14-2020 at 03:34 AM.
post #4843 of 4845 Old 01-18-2020, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 2445
I think my miniDSP died today. I'm hoping someone might have an idea of something else to try to get it working again. Here's what happened:

- It was working last night.
- This morning I disconnected it to take physical measurements on it for 3D printed wall mount that's being designed.
- I hooked everything up the same way it was before. One thing to note is that my system was off at the time.
- I started playing a test tone to verify that I hooked everything back up correctly. Nothing was coming from the subs or BOSS.

So I started trouble shooting it and tried all of the basics:
- Rebooted the miniDSP
- Checked the plugin. It's showing meter lights on all the inputs and outputs.
- I plugged one of the amps directly to my AVR and it played correctly. Putting the miniDSP back in the chain results in no sound. So it's definitely the miniDSP that's the issue.
- In the plugin I did a Factory Reset. No change after it was completed.
- I unplugged it as a long shot when I went to dinner to see if it needed a harder power cycle with no luck.

Everything looks correct. Any suggestions on anything else to try?

Nevermind. I just figured it out and back up and running. Keeping this in case someone else runs into it. It looks like the units are sensitive to the power adapter they're plugged in with. I accidentally used the wrong one. There was one from an old device hanging out that I grabbed by mistake. When I switched to the correct power supply everything started working.
Alan P and Spidacat like this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV

Last edited by DesertDog; 01-18-2020 at 09:37 PM.
post #4844 of 4845 Old 01-23-2020, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 141
In the BEQ thread it was recommended to lower the input 1 for each decibel one would raise in an EQ. So I have an LS @20hz +5db that I should lower the input level 1 by -5db in order to avoid digital clipping.

I had always lowered the overall master volume of the MiniDSP by -5 dB. Is lowering the input level better/different? Measurement wise I see no difference. I am just curious especially with regards to BassEQ (BEQ).

TIA
post #4845 of 4845 Old 01-23-2020, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
In the BEQ thread it was recommended to lower the input 1 for each decibel one would raise in an EQ. So I have an LS @20hz +5db that I should lower the input level 1 by -5db in order to avoid digital clipping.

I had always lowered the overall master volume of the MiniDSP by -5 dB. Is lowering the input level better/different? Measurement wise I see no difference. I am just curious especially with regards to BassEQ (BEQ).

TIA

You can verify by playing since waves (from REW or other) at 0dB in your AVR, with your subwoofer amplifiers turned off. Look in MiniDSP and see what the levels are at. If you properly gain matched your system before applying any EQ, there should not be any issues - but you can still confirm.

LG OLED55C6P calibrated
Denon X4400H 5.2.4
Denovo HTM-10
HSU Research surrounds
2x18" Dayton Ultimax sealed < Pro-LITE 7.5 amp < MiniDSP 2x4 HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page