Lab Gruppen FP14000 clone amplifiers - Page 234 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 608Likes

post #6991 of 7274 Old 09-20-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Lab Gruppen FP14000 clone amplifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm028 View Post
Which fan did you end up using? Is Noctua suitable?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

80mm fan:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/978-9S0824L401

60mm fan:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/5912-614F

Resistor for 60mm fan:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/280-CR5-390-RC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
storm028 likes this.

Always destroying exergy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6992 of 7274 Old 09-25-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone with this amp experience ground loop hum adding this amp into the mix?

I’m a bit confused how as it’s on it’s own circuit but with the sub outs going to a mini dsp then to the amp I get a fair amount of ground loop hum. Unplug the rca cables from the mini dsp from the receiver and the hum stops. Or unplug the amp and the hum stops. I want to keep the amp on its own dedicated circuit for obvious reasons but not sure what’s the best way to stop this. I considered connecting the two chassis but with it being painted I don’t think the external would be conductive enough. I plan to give it a try anyways when I have time but figured I would see if anyone else experienced something similar and how you guys solved it.

Ground loops are such a pain in the a**

post #6993 of 7274 Old 09-25-2019, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3860
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Anyone with this amp experience ground loop hum adding this amp into the mix?

I’m a bit confused how as it’s on it’s own circuit but with the sub outs going to a mini dsp then to the amp I get a fair amount of ground loop hum. Unplug the rca cables from the mini dsp from the receiver and the hum stops. Or unplug the amp and the hum stops. I want to keep the amp on its own dedicated circuit for obvious reasons but not sure what’s the best way to stop this. I considered connecting the two chassis but with it being painted I don’t think the external would be conductive enough. I plan to give it a try anyways when I have time but figured I would see if anyone else experienced something similar and how you guys solved it.

Ground loops are such a pain in the a**

Ground loops are easy. Putting something on a different circuit is not going to fix a ground loop. Your main issue is you're likely running single ended. You have an unbalanced minidsp, correct? How are your cables setup?

If you're going from unbalanced to balanced:

xlr side should have pin 1 connected to the shield. This should not be connected to anything on the RCA end, and just run the length of the cable.

xlr pin 2 connected to the signal (center) on the rca end.

xlr pin 3 connected to the signal ground (outside) on the rca end.

This should eliminate your ground loop as you will no longer have a path from your signal ground on the minidsp side to an actual ground.

If the amp you have is doing something stupid like connecting signal ground to earth directly, which I don't believe they did, then you need to bite the bullet and get a balanced minidsp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6994 of 7274 Old 09-25-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Ground loops are easy. Putting something on a different circuit is not going to fix a ground loop. Your main issue is you're likely running single ended. You have an unbalanced minidsp, correct? How are your cables setup?

If you're going from unbalanced to balanced:

xlr side should have pin 1 connected to the shield. This should not be connected to anything on the RCA end, and just run the length of the cable.

xlr pin 2 connected to the signal (center) on the rca end.

xlr pin 3 connected to the signal ground (outside) on the rca end.

This should eliminate your ground loop as you will no longer have a path from your signal ground on the minidsp side to an actual ground.

If the amp you have is doing something stupid like connecting signal ground to earth directly, which I don't believe they did, then you need to bite the bullet and get a balanced minidsp.

Hey thanks for the information. Now that you posted that I really think the culprit is the Monoprice rca to xlr cable. I added the third sub when I changed amps and added that cable back into the mix. I built all the rest of my cables. Hopefully just building up another rca to XLR will fix it bc tracking this down could get tricky. I’ve got a ton of items in the loop. Basically I’ve got 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits. 1st circuit is the just the fp14000, second is an emotiva dr3 and an xpa-7, third is the fv25hp and receiver HTPC, Mini dsp and a power strip worth of other items plugged into a 15 amp circuit (non dedicated)

With that said the path for subs connects almost all of it.

Receiver Rca sub out to mini dsp. Mini dsp is connected to computer using usb cable and also connected to fp14000. Receiver connects to everything basically which means that between the 4 circuits they basically all are linked in some way or another. Which is why I hate them. I either drastically over think them or just can find them.
Heck I wasted 2 weeks on a cable box. Bought the cable isolator and it basically resolved it.

post #6995 of 7274 Old 09-25-2019, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Hey thanks for the information. Now that you posted that I really think the culprit is the Monoprice rca to xlr cable. I added the third sub when I changed amps and added that cable back into the mix. I built all the rest of my cables. Hopefully just building up another rca to XLR will fix it bc tracking this down could get tricky. I’ve got a ton of items in the loop. Basically I’ve got 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits. 1st circuit is the just the fp14000, second is an emotiva dr3 and an xpa-7, third is the fv25hp and receiver HTPC, Mini dsp and a power strip worth of other items plugged into a 15 amp circuit (non dedicated)

With that said the path for subs connects almost all of it.

Receiver Rca sub out to mini dsp. Mini dsp is connected to computer using usb cable and also connected to fp14000. Receiver connects to everything basically which means that between the 4 circuits they basically all are linked in some way or another. Which is why I hate them. I either drastically over think them or just can find them.
Heck I wasted 2 weeks on a cable box. Bought the cable isolator and it basically resolved it.

monoprice xlr to rca are built wrong. signal ground on the rca end is joined to the shield.
superkyle and Trimlock like this.
post #6996 of 7274 Old 09-25-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
monoprice xlr to rca are built wrong. signal ground on the rca end is joined to the shield.

Yeah I remember something about that. Haven’t used the cable in a while. I do remember that I opened it up and cracked the solder joint that connected the two but yeah cable is junk.

post #6997 of 7274 Old 09-25-2019, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
I missed this one and I'm on this site every day. How long has this been the case? Any other reputable brands you can recommend?
post #6998 of 7274 Old 09-25-2019, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleNixon View Post
I missed this one and I'm on this site every day. How long has this been the case? Any other reputable brands you can recommend?
I don't know any off the top of my head. I just buy monoprice XLR cables, snip one end off, and solder an RCA end on properly.
post #6999 of 7274 Old 09-25-2019, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you can't get rid of the hum, I can highly recommend the Jensen Iso-Max Sub-1RR (or Sub-2RR). It was the only thing that worked for me in the end after exhausting all options. Not cheap though so try and purchase second hand if possible or someone in the know of the actual part that's used inside as surely its not worth $200!
post #7000 of 7274 Old 09-26-2019, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 35
There is a product called HUMX that maybe helpful as well only costs $60-$80 bucks..

post #7001 of 7274 Old 09-26-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:

Yup, I noticed back when I was trying to get my receiver to play nice with the inuke. My “elite” soldering skills fixed the issue. I’ll have to see if I can find the cable, I had a hell of a time with it lol.

post #7002 of 7274 Old 09-26-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettus View Post
If you can't get rid of the hum, I can highly recommend the Jensen Iso-Max Sub-1RR (or Sub-2RR). It was the only thing that worked for me in the end after exhausting all options. Not cheap though so try and purchase second hand if possible or someone in the know of the actual part that's used inside as surely its not worth $200!
exhausting all options except properly fixing the signal chain? lol
post #7003 of 7274 Old 09-26-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
exhausting all options except properly fixing the signal chain? lol
I've been doing this since 2000 chump so no you aren't funny so please don't try to be! (Why try to be condescending?)
Moving house numerous times with the military, making my cables, having different equipment makes no difference. BTW I'm in Australia for those taking pot shots...
post #7004 of 7274 Old 09-26-2019, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've been doing this since 2000 chump so no you aren't funny so please don't try to be! (Why try to be condescending?)
Moving house numerous times with the military, making my cables, having different equipment makes no difference. BTW I'm in Australia for those taking pot shots...
lol, ok
post #7005 of 7274 Old 09-26-2019, 05:46 PM

It's not nice throwing snide remarks. The world is bigger than a keyboard and although I take your contribution here greatly (I really do), I don't appreciate the smart alek inserts assuming someone hasn't researched and tested every possible thing they can find a solution or fix for their situation.
Consumer (unbalanced) and pro (balanced) simply don't work without induced noise, this has been the case for my 20yrs experience with myself and numerous others including close friends. I thought it was just Yamaha equipment causing it but Marantz the same...Bump boxes obviously exacerbate this and to date for me the best piece of equipment (with almost zero loss and no calibrating) to mute that noise is the Sub-1RR...
Given you could just buy a fully balanced system (Pre amp) and be done with it but we all don't swim in money like scrooge mcduck!

Apologies for chump remark.
post #7006 of 7274 Old 09-26-2019, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Consumer (unbalanced) and pro (balanced) simply don't work without induced noise
This is incorrect. I explained the proper way to connect unbalanced to balanced a few posts up.
post #7007 of 7274 Old 09-26-2019, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 474

Brettus that happens because most consumer brands attach the signal wire to the ground wire.

If you remove that connection then the signal has no way of traveling back through the ground to create a loop. Unless your equipment is faulty, to which has solutions to fix as well.

There are devices that stop ground loops and KOSS? Had one that works on unbalanced for cheap. If your ground loop is on the XLR it won’t work.

post #7008 of 7274 Old 09-27-2019, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Balanced connections work by creating two signals: one original and one copy with flipped phase. On the recieving end, the flipped signal is flipped back and summed to the original. That way, the signal gains 6db (twice the voltage) in that stage and the induced current vanishes because it's summed with its inverted signal. If the source is unbalanced, you should basically only lose the 6db gain, which raises the noise floor (by 6db). Now if the recieving end is unbalanced and the source is balanced, the cable doesn't help. If that is the case you'd need a DI box, keeping it as close to the source as possible.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn - BOSS
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games

Last edited by peniku8; 10-12-2019 at 06:58 AM. Reason: thanks BTH for catching that typo ;-)
post #7009 of 7274 Old 09-27-2019, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Has anyone bought any of the smaller FP series amps like the FP2600?
post #7010 of 7274 Old 10-09-2019, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Did smith change there website I am trying to contact them but I can’t fine anything
post #7011 of 7274 Old 10-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 433
imsmiths.com still works for me

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn - BOSS
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #7012 of 7274 Old 10-09-2019, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
I don't know any off the top of my head. I just buy monoprice XLR cables, snip one end off, and solder an RCA end on properly.
Be sure to get high quality directional wire because the sound stage is wider and deeper if the electrons are aligned properly.
post #7013 of 7274 Old 10-11-2019, 10:24 AM

Hello every one does any one know the model # of the fp 14000 transistor in the middle there is 2 different type One with 3 leg and one with 2 leg I would like to buy some but I don’t know the model #
post #7014 of 7274 Old 10-11-2019, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4055 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
you should basically only lose the 6db gain, which increases S/N.
decrease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimlock View Post
that happens because most consumer brands attach the signal wire to the ground wire.
No.

That happens because devices leak current onto the ground line (including audio devices.)
Audio devices use the ground line as 0V reference for signal return current; and often amplify the differential.

If they floated the reference or used floated balanced split-phase (like real XLR does), then it won't be a problem since the nasty currents isn't contaminating the signal-path (in that case).

What really makes it worse is that the leakage current is often 60hz (i.e. mains AC), so you get a hum.
Also MOVs can dump surges and spikes onto the ground line from H-G and N-G, giving you noise;
so can power supplies...
So can stray electromagnetic and electrostatic fields too!

Grounding is required to save your life in case of a device fault where it energizes a shield or chassis to mains-voltage, the current can return to the pole transformer tripping the circuit breaker / fuses.
GFCI's take that a step further and detect current loss through any other path than the neutral return, interrupting the mains-voltage and thus: potentially saving your life.

Unfortunately all of those paths are giant loops, coupling all devices together.

If an audio device couples the shield and ground together at both ends, that too doesn't help any.

Hum eliminators work by optical or galvanic decoupling, the noise on either side, stays on that side.
There is a cost that you pay for doing that: bandwidth limiting and reduced S/N, being the two main ones.

In commercial installations (such as radio stations and studios) they often float the audio rack with rubber mats so that it doesn't touch the ground, and they use series-grounding via a single ground conductor rather than star grounding via multiple parallel ground conductors; forcing the electrons down a single path.

The ground wire at your service panel isn't the same as the ground wire at your wallsockets. That wire exists only to short lightning (and any other high-voltage nasties) to dirt, rather than letting it find ground via you or your electronics. It never carries mains-current (or at least: should-never); where as the ground wires in the walls can/might carry full mains-current. This is why sub-panel neutrals aren't re-bonded to panel ground (the dirt should NEVER be used as a mains-current carrier! That's what neutrals and dedicated ["ground"] return-conductors are for!)

Consider yourself edumacated

Last edited by BassThatHz; 10-11-2019 at 08:27 PM.
post #7015 of 7274 Old 10-11-2019, 06:27 PM

hey guys i am looking for these replacement any on know where i can get it or what model will work just like it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72924384_1190636971124396_1246802476015812608_n.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	2626796  
post #7016 of 7274 Old 10-11-2019, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113crew View Post
hey guys i am looking for these replacement any on know where i can get it or what model will work just like it
p/ns are on them, mouser, digikey, newark, etc
post #7017 of 7274 Old 10-12-2019, 09:55 AM

Hey would u mine send me the link of what I need to buy online so I can make the order thank you very much
post #7018 of 7274 Old 10-12-2019, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113crew View Post
Hey would u mine send me the link of what I need to buy online so I can make the order thank you very much
type the part number into an electronics supplier search box

Last edited by rboster; 10-15-2019 at 05:29 AM.
post #7019 of 7274 Old 10-15-2019, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
posts deleted

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #7020 of 7274 Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Hi all,
Are you guys running these amps from RCA to XLR without issue?

Just bought a Sanway FP14000 and wired it up tonight. I’m running from a Marantz SR6014 using RCA to XLR and speakons wired 1+ / 1- on each channel to 4 subs wired to 4 ohms (and checked with meter). 8 subs total.

I’ve set the dip switches and double checked everything but I only get BARELY audible output. Also, none of the lights on the front panel indicate that I’m receiving any input. I only see the power light (and mute on start up).

I also tried a clean box which helped slightly, but still not right.

Lastly, when I change the connections to my Inuke 3000dsp it all works like a charm - albeit drastically underpowered.

Any thoughts? I’m scratching my head on this one.

Thanks.

Last edited by Oldcabin; 10-28-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Lab Gruppen Fp 14000 , Sanway Fp 10000q

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page