Scary Evening. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
04FLHRCI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My wife and I were on our way home from the grocery store; we were approaching an intersection, and had the right-of-way.

A truck headed in the opposite direction turned left in front of us; we were still not engaged with the intersection and the gentleman had plenty of time to complete his turn.

I was in the left hand lane; unfortunately, the gentleman behind me was in some crazy assed hurry, jumped in the right land and poored the coals on - he was riding a sport bike.

As we 'entered' the intersection he was even with the passenger door of my wife's Ford Edge. It was a 25 MPH zone; we were doing ~25, and I'd estimate the bike was between 35 - 40 MPH.

The gentleman in the truck was nearly complete with his left hand turn, but the bike was going to fast.

I have never seen anything like this in my life, and I pray I never do again...

I watched the event unfold in front of me as if it was time-shifted and I was watching one frame at a time. The bike and the rider folded up like an accordian, and once his forward momentum was stopped, the stored energy shot him straight in the air at least 10' - 12'. Honestly the scariest thing I've ever witnessed; the guy looked like a rag doll, and bike parts scattered everywhere like a bomb went off. The handle bars broke off the kneck and were some 50' away.

Without thinking, I slammed on the breaks blocking the entire intersection in the process (during rush hour). I jumped out of the car and ran to him, he had landed back on top of the bike in a heap, and innitially was motion less.

As I bent down beside him he exhaled and began screaming; oh good lord, I've never heard anything like this in my life...this poor dude was busted up really bad and in a tremendous amount of pain.

He tried to stand up and I pulled him over to the edge of the road, laid his head in my lap, and I started screaming at another witness to call 911.

The impact had knocked both of his shoes off; some guys riding sport bikes typically wear light-weight clothing, and he had some sort of slip-on shoes.

I noticed the big toe on his right foot was broken, and so was his right arm. The way he acted when I first approached him led me to believe at least one of his lungs was punctured. He seemed to be holding his breath and when he exhaled it was the most unnerving scream I've ever heard.

I don't know what his helmet specifically hit, but it was nearly cracked in half, and something had knocked-off his face shield and impacted his face.

The dude was laying in my lap, I'm getting all pissed off at the folks standing around and wanting to know where the emergency team is, and this dude pulls his cell out of his pocket and calls his wife. "Honey, I've been in a wreck..............no, I don't know where I'm at.....yes, I'm hurt..."

This f'd me up big time; I took the phone from the guy and explained to the girl where we were and told her to head this way. This guy is all broken up, has no idea where he is and had the frame of mind to call his girl...

I sat there holding this guy in my lap until the professionals arrived; never met this dude in my life, but this experience has touched me in a way I still can't explain.

When they loaded him into the ambulance I told one of the paramedics that he had phoned his girl and that she was on her way to this location. I asked if they would grab his phone and call her back letting her know where they were taking him.

I've never felt so out of control or helpless in my life...

Good luck William, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers buddy...
04FLHRCI is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gperkins1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I hope the guy is ok but people (especially on bikes) need to realise that speed kills and I hope he makes it so he can learn a valuable lesson here. I travel into London from where I live in the UK every day and see some crazy a&se bikers who either speed or weave in and out off traffic like they own the place. Yes bikes go really fast but that is what speed limits are in place for.

In London the other day there was a bike who was travelling too fast and road straight into someone who was merely crossing the road. The traffic lights were red and the bike chose to speed to get through them but unfortunately for him he killed an innocent woman.

Learn well my friend as next time I hope you won't be so lucky.
gperkins1973 is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Senior Member
 
forin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 68
04FLHRCI,
If he was talking then he has a decent chance for a good prognosis. Sounds like he had a tension pneumothorax as well. Helmets do help but there not enough most times. If he was unresponsive and limp at the time of the injury then I would be very concerned. But he was talking and had the capability to use his cellphone and call his wife and tell her what happened. Though after everything is said and done I doubt he will remember the events of the day.

An FYI for all of you bikers


We call bikes "donor cycles" for good reason. I spent a year on what we call "flyouts" which involve coordinating heart and lung tx. Many of our donors were from bikes. The problem with bikes is generally not the rider but the cars not paying attention. Snatching hearts and lungs from a young person just felt so wrong sometimes.

Take my word 04FLHRCI, you did the best you could be proud of yourself that you were able to keep a cool head during a situation such as this, many cannot. From the sounds of it he should be ok, banged up to hell and back and will probably light up airport security for the rest of his life. Good job keeping it together, you did a good thing today, drink a few beers and try to let it go

Forin
forin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Sinistre1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Must have been a "bad bike day". On my way to my job I saw the aftermath of a young man hitting the guard rail on one of those very same sport bikes. It appeared a minivan cut him off (or vice versa, as the van was also up against the guard rail some 10-15 ft further up the road. Poor guy was covered in blood but it looked mostly like severe road rash. I don't know what happened but I just wish these young men would realize they are so much more vulnerable on a bike than the average motorist. Hope he pulls through alright.https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/smilies/frown.gif

I'm getting there....!!!
Sinistre1 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CZ Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin TX, USA
Posts: 7,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm not saying you did this, I'm writing it more for other people reading this.
If a motorcyclist is in a bad accident, don't let them remove their helmet unless they're having trouble breathing. You could potentially cause further problems if they have a neck injury.
Stabilize their head/helmet until paramedics arrive.

On a side note, a buddy of mine t-boned an SUV that pulled out in front of him when he was crossing an intersection on his motorcycle. He flew threw one side of the rear window and out the window on the other side. And I don't mean the windows were rolled down, either.
He survived that accident pretty well, thankfully.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
CZ Eddie is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gperkins1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:


The problem with bikes is generally not the rider but the cars not paying attention.

That's what a bike rider would say. I have countless experiences with bikers cutting me up and then giving me the two fingers as if it was my fault. I think the law where bikers can create as many poxy lanes as they like in between cars should be changed. What bikers don't realise is that when you are weaving in and out all over the place from lane to lane you are in and out off car/bus/lorry blind spots. There are many considerate bikers out there but I am afraid they are tainted with far too many idiot speed freaks on two wheels.

Perhaps in the states they don't ride like that but they do in the UK, its a sad fact.

Learn your lessons hard and well then you may live another day.
gperkins1973 is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
DL86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A good friend of mine passed away driving a bike. Always thought he was invincible. Everyone told him that he would kill him self one day, but he kept laughing it off.

He hit a turning bus doing about 160KMH (100MPH) in a 60KMH zone.

To improve the black level performance of your projector: Shine bright light into your eyes every 5 minutes.
DL86 is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 04:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 31,625
Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5548 Post(s)
Liked: 5140
Last month a neighbor's son was coming home 10:30 at night from his summer job that he had just started after completing his first year in college. His car ran out of gas at an intersection and he turned on his hazard lights. He exited the car to attempt to push it to the side of the road. A following car didn't notice the situation and hit him and his car. He was killed.

He was a mile from home and had just passed an open gas station.
BIGmouthinDC is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
raffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post

That's what a bike rider would say. I have countless experiences with bikers cutting me up and then giving me the two fingers as if it was my fault. I think the law where bikers can create as many poxy lanes as they like in between cars should be changed. What bikers don't realise is that when you are weaving in and out all over the place from lane to lane you are in and out off car/bus/lorry blind spots. There are many considerate bikers out there but I am afraid they are tainted with far too many idiot speed freaks on two wheels.

Perhaps in the states they don't ride like that but they do in the UK, its a sad fact.

Learn your lessons hard and well then you may live another day.

There are problems with both bikers and drivers driving cluelessly and / or illegally. Statistically the largest percentage of motorcycle accidents are caused by clueless car drivers. Specifically cars turning left in front of a motorcycle which had the right of way. I rode for many years and basically decided to stop because I was almost run off the road multiple times by idiot drivers or had to take evasive action due to some moron behind the wheel of a car. And no, I wasn't weaving in and out of traffic or speeding at the time of these incidents. Just because some bikers ride like idiots doesn't mean all of them do.

Google the Hurt report if you want to read the facts.

Sony XBR-75Z9D, Anthem AVM 60, Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 Signature + GFA-555, - Onix RS850, RSC300, RS300, RS 250 -
Martin Logan Motion AFX (ATMOS), Sub: Danley DTS-10 + Behringer EP4000, OPPO 203
raffin is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gperkins1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:


Just because some bikers ride like idiots doesn't mean all of them do.

That's what I said, Ok lets call it 50/50 then and the 50% who drive/ride like idiots only deserve the worse. Now that's a fact. Sorry guys I cannot condone speedy idiots whether it be car or bikes.

I feel for the OP because it couldn't have been easy to sit there with the guy in bits. I remember stopping at a pedestrian crossing a few months back, a young kid walked across the road and a car didn't stop and knocked him in the air. The kid was ok but that left a mark in my head for a while.
gperkins1973 is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
vitod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Pocono, PA
Posts: 3,639
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
04FLHRCI,

Do you plan to visit him at the hospital? If yes, please keep us updated if you can. I'm sure William will never forget you and who knows, you guys can be good friends.

Panasonic AE-8000, Carada BW 120", Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 (rears), Micca M-8C x 4, Volt 6 x 2 (SR), SI DS4-18 in 12cuft X 2, Marantz 7702MKII, OPPO 103D, Emotiva XPA-3,
vitod is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Steve_Vai_rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The land of Ice and Snow
Posts: 982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
that's messed up....

I plan on getting myself a sport bike, but barely ever riding it on the street... luckly where I live there are a few tracks that I can take the bike too to really let it loose..

Bikes are fun and I borrowed my cousins R1 for a summer but man, scary powerful and scary idiots in cars made me rethink using it as a daily driver. They are a fun toy but I would rather take it to a private road or track to have my fun.

Matt

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
Steve_Vai_rules is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
04FLHRCI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi vitod,

Unfortunately, all I know is the kids first name. I had asked him his name so I could talk to him and keep his mind occupied in hopes of distracting him from his pain.

I'm 42, and would place william at 22; when he was laying in my lap all I could think was "man, this could be my son..."

My screen name '04FLHRCI' denotes the type of bike I used to ride, a HD Road King Classic; I was tired of folks not paying attention and pulling out in front of me. The final straw was a little ole lady that "didn't see me", well, my wife was on the back, and I said never again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

04FLHRCI,

Do you plan to visit him at the hospital? If yes, please keep us updated if you can. I'm sure William will never forget you and who knows, you guys can be good friends.

04FLHRCI is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
04FLHRCI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
forin,

Thanks for the positive feedback and the professional perspective; I'm in software development and I was light-years beyond my comfort zone last night.

I was trying to keep him still, keep him talking and comfort him best I could.
Although, watching the whole thing unfold, I was mad as hell at him for being so damn careless.

I feel much better this morning, and I'm ready to talk subs.

Oh wait, still no update on Fi/BP IB3s...LOL

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by forin View Post

04FLHRCI,
If he was talking then he has a decent chance for a good prognosis. Sounds like he had a tension pneumothorax as well. Helmets do help but there not enough most times. If he was unresponsive and limp at the time of the injury then I would be very concerned. But he was talking and had the capability to use his cellphone and call his wife and tell her what happened. Though after everything is said and done I doubt he will remember the events of the day.

An FYI for all of you bikers


We call bikes "donor cycles" for good reason. I spent a year on what we call "flyouts" which involve coordinating heart and lung tx. Many of our donors were from bikes. The problem with bikes is generally not the rider but the cars not paying attention. Snatching hearts and lungs from a young person just felt so wrong sometimes.

Take my word 04FLHRCI, you did the best you could be proud of yourself that you were able to keep a cool head during a situation such as this, many cannot. From the sounds of it he should be ok, banged up to hell and back and will probably light up airport security for the rest of his life. Good job keeping it together, you did a good thing today, drink a few beers and try to let it go

Forin

04FLHRCI is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gperkins1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:


Oh wait, still no update on Fi/BP IB3s...LOL

Larry,

I am starting to think this is some april fools joke!

Come on Blueprint, you must watch this forum, give us an update!

cheers

Graham
gperkins1973 is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
04FLHRCI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree.

I told Fi and AE both; I'm in the market for either 12 AE IB15, or 8 Fi/BP IB3.

Whoever gets product available first lands the order.
04FLHRCI is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 21,165
Mentioned: 836 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2920 Post(s)
Liked: 3626
you are a good guy and did a good thing trying to put humpty back together again.

that said, i feel worse for the guy who is 70 years old who never had the balls to take a risk in his life than for a guy who meets fate full on.

yeah, yeah, flame me. i'd never get a bike as i know that i would kill myself on it, but i have had many sports cars where i push it to (and sometimes past) the limit.

how does this relate to diy, well, the answer is "go for it guys".

nobody ever goes to their grave for a want of another buck, but many do for their regrets in not going after their goals.

"scary evening" can make one take less risk, but imho if you take all the risk out of life, you take all the zest/spice/thrill out of life.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve_Vai_rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The land of Ice and Snow
Posts: 982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

you are a good guy and did a good thing trying to put humpty back together again.

that said, i feel worse for the guy who is 70 years old who never had the balls to take a risk in his life than for a guy who meets fate full on.

yeah, yeah, flame me. i'd never get a bike as i know that i would kill myself on it, but i have had many sports cars where i push it to (and sometimes past) the limit.

how does this relate to diy, well, the answer is "go for it guys".

nobody ever goes to their grave for a want of another buck, but many do for their regrets in not going after their goals.

"scary evening" can make one take less risk, but imho if you take all the risk out of life, you take all the zest/spice/thrill out of life.

Just don't do it at the expense of someone elses life

Matt

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
Steve_Vai_rules is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jinjuku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffin View Post

There are problems with both bikers and drivers driving cluelessly and / or illegally. Statistically the largest percentage of motorcycle accidents are caused by clueless car drivers. Specifically cars turning left in front of a motorcycle which had the right of way. I rode for many years and basically decided to stop because I was almost run off the road multiple times by idiot drivers or had to take evasive action due to some moron behind the wheel of a car. And no, I wasn't weaving in and out of traffic or speeding at the time of these incidents. Just because some bikers ride like idiots doesn't mean all of them do.

Google the Hurt report if you want to read the facts.

I raced MX with partial factory and other sponsors for 8 years. You will NEVER see my on a road bike.

On the dirt it will be my fault. On the road it will be some one in a Suburban with a blind spot the size of Rhode Island. That and there are a lot of idiots on road bikes that have no clue.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

Jinjuku is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jinjuku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

you are a good guy and did a good thing trying to put humpty back together again.

that said, i feel worse for the guy who is 70 years old who never had the balls to take a risk in his life than for a guy who meets fate full on.

yeah, yeah, flame me. i'd never get a bike as i know that i would kill myself on it, but i have had many sports cars where i push it to (and sometimes past) the limit.

how does this relate to diy, well, the answer is "go for it guys".

nobody ever goes to their grave for a want of another buck, but many do for their regrets in not going after their goals.

"scary evening" can make one take less risk, but imho if you take all the risk out of life, you take all the zest/spice/thrill out of life.

Yep, and there are plenty of venues for this to take place. Hot rodding public roads aren't one of them. What an immature thing to say.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

Jinjuku is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 2,544
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I feel for you witnessing that accident Larry.

I had the same thing happen in front of me except the rider lost control on some gravel and slammed into a fence. I did have a bike at the time as well but that experience shook me up to good I got rid of the street bike and just got my kicks from dirt bikes instead.

That was a long time ago when that happened but I can still remember it vividly.

I definitely changed my life as I will no longer get on a street bike unless it's a closed course or country roads. Before that accident I had even put my bike down in a corner from gravel as well but I saw it coming so I was able to react.

Definitely the worst thing I ever witnessed in my life, it's shocking to say the least.
mjaudio is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carboranadum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 2,988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

He was a mile from home and had just passed an open gas station.

Sorry to hear that Big. There have been a bunch of articles in the WP over the past few years about idiots who are driving and not paying attention who find a way to hit cars on the shoulder. I have taught my family amd warned most of my friends to abandon their car and get well clear of it when they have an issue that disables it on the road. Same wih a flat tire...pull well off the road into a driveway, parking lot, etc...whatever you need to do to get as far off the road as possible. Tires and rims are cheap...

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
carboranadum is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 06-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Newbie
 
Xijonix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i don't have much to say besides, your a very good person.
Xijonix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off