Considering ZA5.3 DIY Kit Set - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hey - it's taken me forever to get motivated to actually start my first home theatre speaker project. i just got a new denon receiver (3312) and i finally feel like it might be time.

i'm thinking about building the following:

ZA5.3t - TMM 2.5-way tower pair
ZA5.3c MTM Center channel

Zaph seems reputable and Madisound has a kit deal for each of those projects so i dont' have to track down all the crossover components myself. anyone have experience with these and any comments. i'm coming from 10yr old sony satallites so anything will be an improvment. i've read you should consider spending 2x-3x your receiver's value on speakers to make the most of it. i have no idea if that's reasonable and how that translates into diy project terms. Would these speakers be a good match for that denon and a 63" plasma at 12' listening distance with nothing above moderate listening levels?

i'm a little bummed about the center channel being 8" high. that means i can't put it on the same level as my tv (which only has about 5" of clearance below the picture). i'll have to put it on the shelf below the tv in the tv stand. that will put the bottom of the center channel about 1' below the picture. how will that center channel perform in this situation?

how fast does Madisound ship these kits out? i'm wondering if i could get it by mid-next week while i'm still on vacation - i'm in NJ.

thanks a lot.
joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You have to remember that sound above 80hz is considered directional. Meaning that you will be able to locate the source of the sound. So especially when it comes to center channel, having it as close to the picture is the better of the options.
UNFORTUNATLY for people like me, sometimes we just don't have the option of making the sound come from the center of the screen. ( I have a 73 MIT DLP) kinda hard to put the speaker in the center of that...

For me the best option was to do what everyone else says not to do, I placed my center above my tv by over a foot, and set it on a shelf mounted to the wall. I did make a little riser for the rear of the speaker to sit on, to better angle it into the LP area.

Can you tell that the sound is coming from above the pic? Yeah, but does it make my guest any less impressed with the sound that I have? Nope..

I notice, but it does not bother me to the point that I am going to sit my tv on top of my little center...

My first DIY project. A dual, dual opposed setup

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1345494
post #3 of 10 Old 06-26-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I cut the Mdf and assembled the three boxes (2 towers and center) to about 75% completion.

I ordered the two kits from Madisound today. I'm hoping they come by mid-week. Also ordered one of those router jigs (Jasper 200?). I already have a router jig but it doesnt go small enough. I've made custom jigs in the past for smaller holes but it was somewhat impresice. Hope it was sort the $40.

Not sure how the the center-channel under the tv will sound. If it's horrible maybe I'll try using the same drivers in an adapted box design thats as low as possible and then raising my tv an inch or so on some Mdf pads or something

That's ruff with the dlp. I had a giant Sony rear projection as my last tv and had to run the center channel above it as well - it was a tiny speaker sitting on the tv itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I built the 5.3 center and made the box bigger(kept the proper volume built made it bigger with non used space) I put that on my TV stand and put the TV on the box. I like it because it raised the TV up. By the way it sounds pretty good.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
A picture tells a thousand words........

If the Tv is a flat panel, wall mountable, then simple wall mount it and get the CC on the top....Or as the other poster said, build the box as a stand for your TV. Either way tray and make sure that the box is as flush to the front as possible. You don't want the first reflection to be the top of the TV stand!
post #6 of 10 Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks for the feedback guys.

the tv is a flat panel but i won't be wall-mounting it. i had thought about maybe making the center channel a stand for the tv but i don't think i really want it any higher than it currently sits. if the center channel sounds terrible on the shelf below the tv, maybe i'll build a second box with the tv-stand idea.

i'm fairly far into the build now. today i finished bracing and caulking the boxes. i filled the screw-head-holes with wood putty and sanded them smooth since i'm planning on painting the boxes (to start, anyway). i tried to prime the center channel only to discover that you can't spray-prime the edge of an MDF board. not sure if it's because my spray-primer is waterbased (i can't tell from the can - are all spray cans water or oil based?) or if that is just the nature of the beast. after some research i see it's recommended you lay down a layer of drywall spackle on the MDF before painting to ensure an even coat. i spackled the bejesus out of the two 5.3t towers this evening. tomorrow i'll sand them. the kits are supposed to arrive tomorrow so i'm hoping to make the baffle boards and install everything and test out the center channel at least.

i thought i read somewhere about using a forstner (sp?) bit to cut the tweeter hole and/or the tweeter countersink step? i can't find where i read that. has anyone done that? i have a drill press and a set of forstner bits - i'm hoping i can use them for the ports and/or the tweets since it will be much easier than using the router.

if i like these speakers i may try to veneer them - i've never done that before. i notice a lot of people don't veneer the baffle. is that because it's difficult or not advisable or what? I was thinking of rounding-over the edges of the baffle board. Is it possible to bend veneer around a rounded-over edge?

the project is a bit more work than i expected but i'm having a good time. it's nice to do something non-computer-related on my vacation week.

thanks,
joe
LL
LL
post #7 of 10 Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

that jasper jig rocks.

took me quite a while but i got the center channel assembled today. too tired to rearrange my stuff and re-run audessey tonight to try it out so it'll have to wait for tomorrow. assuming it doesn't sound like garbage, i'll get to the painting a little later.

hoping to get the towers together tomorrow but given how long the center channel took, i'm not sure i'll be able to knock them both out.
LL
post #8 of 10 Old 07-02-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

finished up my za5.3 trio last night minus paint or veneer.

they sound pretty good - dialog is a bit cleaner watching tv and dramatic-movie-music sounds more.... dramatic. have to give it some more time before i get a good feel for how they perform.

the silver woofer cones offer a nice contrast making them more visually pleasing than i expected.
LL
LL
LL
post #9 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i realize i never posted a pic after the veneer work.

results were ok given it was my first venture into veneering. i plan on hitting them with some shellac but haven't had time to start on it. the color more-or-less matches my furniture, which was the goal, so i shouldn't complain. the wood grain stands out stronger than i expected and clashes a bit with the av table wood so that's a bummer. these will probably end up in my other tv room and i'll make something nicer
LL
post #10 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Any more updates on how these sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page