240 liters and no subwoofer... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-26-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long story short I built a sub enclosure (sealed) for a tempest x2 stuff happened I no longer own a tempest x2 or the amp and the tempest is not available any more. so now I have A very nicely built sub enclosure 25mm thick hmr mdf (more dense then mdf) of 240 liters and no subwoofer.
I could not find many subs that were recommended for around 240 liters Closest I could find was sound splinter rls-15 recommended for around 10 cubic foot or 283 liters now with my super in depth understanding of how not to model a subwoofer and winisd throwing a spasm when try to perform a simple routine task, I came up with a high qtc of 1.1 something and a bit of peak in response, now if I don't sound like an idiot already a high qtc makes for a boomy system, high spl but not as good deep bass extension and starts to sound dry, and a peak in response isn't that what contributes to this boomy sound?

The enclosure is in my room 4.0mx4.0mx2.7m Not super huge I'm really after %100 music now your probably asking why I built such a big enclosure for the tempest if I am not after ht well I changed my mind halfway through to late!

%95 of the time I listen to metal lot's of double kick that's really what started this all so maybe a more boomy subwoofer is suited to this application, price does not bother me by the way it's going to cost nearly more then the driver to get the rls here, sucks to live in Australia.
Driver availability is mostly why I got the tempest from audio market place in Australia getting any non mainstream driver is like ripping teeth.

So if any of you hardcore subwoofer people know of a driver suited to my situation please post info I always have the other option tear the top off the box and shut it but I really don't want to.

By the way if I just sounded like the biggest dumbest brain fart idiot who thinks he knows audio you ever witnessed please tell me and I will stop.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 860 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
welcome to avsdiyzone...no worries there. great post. i'm sure there is a solution...

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM

"price does not bother me by the way it's going to cost nearly more then the driver to get the rls here, sucks to live in Australia."

famous last words.

jbl's should be available in australia. if you can just cut a hole in the back for a dual opposed design, two w15gti drivers should nail q=0.71. those are some really nice drivers.

if you want to go cheap the jbl gto1514's were something that i just suggested to another guy in another thread. q=.75 and pretty much the same frequency response. they can be had for $120 or so delivered ea.

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Try the CSS SDX15. It's available in Australia.

explore the music
post #5 of 14 Old 08-26-2011, 09:25 PM

$400? :-0

Listen. It's All Good.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

$400? :-0

We Aussies wish we could get the same prices as USA but the freight costs are a killer and the market is many times smaller. Let's go for an IXL 18" instead

explore the music
post #7 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 12:25 AM

Liked: 11
The IXL-18 would offer similar output in the 240 liters as the Tempest but with a Q of .55. The same applies for the SDX15 which would have a Q of .56. You could always add rigid Styrofoam insulation to the cabinet to take up space and raise the Q, if you wish.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Dual opposed hey?
how come I never thought that jeez, the idea is growing on me but,
As for putting a 18 inch in the enclosure I have thought of that too, it would fit with about only 20mm left on each side of the enclosure.

hmmmmm...

so really I could place any two lower qts subs in the same enclosure just to increase the qtc value until I find a good pair for the enclosure? or it's not that simple.

what actually happens to the qtc when you use 2x drivers in the enclosure?

or am I better off just poppin in one 18 and be done with it?

Thanks.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

"The Tempest-x 2 in 240 liters sealed would be a Q of .62, not 1.1 and there would be no peak in the response."

sorry I was talking about the sound splinter rl-s 15 not the tempest

This is good Keep throwing ideas at me!
post #10 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 AM

"what actually happens to the qtc when you use 2x drivers in the enclosure?"

an enclosure with 2x drivers in 2x volume will have same qtc as 1x driver in 1x volume.

example: if 2 driver in a 6 cubic foot cab give qtc = 0.7, then one driver in 3 cubic feet will give the same qtc = 0.7.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

oh I thought it would have been more complicated then that...
post #12 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Liked: 13
2 x Dayton RSS390HF Shipped from Parts Express to the east coast of Australia for about $600USD.
Would do nicely dual opposed in 240L. Qtc = 0.65.
What amp do you have?
post #13 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

I did have an amp but not any more
I was thinking of getting a Yamaha pro amp p series
As for subs I can get two mach 5 audio 15.2.2 here for $640 bucks qtc of .55 they seem to look alright on graphs if I have done it right.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-28-2011, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

alright I think I have decided.
2x Mach 5 audio 15.2.2
Yamaha p7000s pro amp
If this sounds like a bad idea please tell me.

Now I need to learn stuff.

You have Dual opposed sealed and Compound dual opposed sealed Push-Pull type set up. Dual opposed sealed is where both are wired in phase with each other. And you have Compound push pull wired out of phase right?.

Correct me if I’m wrong Now from what I read compound dual opposed is better then normal dual opposed, and even better results are yielded when one driver is flipped facing outwards, and then it gets all very "audiophilely" from there.

Now does the actual placement of the 2nd driver within the enclosure have any effect on the set up?

How do you wire this all up?

"Audiophilely"
Very Involved discussions on more complex audio situations taking place on a internet forum involving large amounts of spl graphs and driver parameters, and forum members with a endless amount of knowledge with multi thousand post counts, while other less knowledgeable members like myself sit back and try to understand what the hell is going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page