Help needed with building a TH with a TangBand W69-1024 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi all,

not been here for ages... but I stumbled over Tapped Horns the other day and google keeps bringing me back here!

Since I am going to move to a new house in two weeks I thought it is time to upgrade my subwoofer section.

Currently I have two BR-Subs with TangBand W69-1024 Woofers Since I am new here, I can't post URLs (need 3 posts), but it can easily be found at Parts Express.

Since volvotreter successfully used a smaller but similar TangBand driver (similar in terms of rather heavy cone and designed for small BR-enclosures) I'd very much like to try and rebuild my subs as Tapped Horns.

They should be as small as possible while being able to do 30 Hz. Max SPL is not that important, since they will be louder than my current BR-solution wich goes very loud already.

So I tried to get into hornresp and also got some results wich look promising, but I would not dare just builing them without good advice from more experienced DIYlers in that field. There are just too many parameters I can change around and I do not really know, wich side-effects this one or that one might actually have in the end.

One thing that really puzzles me, ist that when using the "Max SPL" feature, I get a totally wild response curve, looking nothing like the original calculation, even if I input 1 W and a large x-max. Obviously I am doing something wrong. I started off using lilmikes tutorial and got a feeling for hornresp so far, but still I wouldn't dare to make a design all by msyelf.

Is anyone willing to help me a bit? Here are the TSPs:

Power handling: 90 watts RMS/170 watts max
VCdia: 1-1/2"
Impedance: 8 ohms
Re: 6.5 ohms
Fs: 35 Hz
SPL: 87 dB 2.83V/1m
Vas: 1.34 cu.ft.
Qms: 6.05
Qes: 0.37
Qts: 0.35
Xmax 7 mm
Dimensions: Overall diameter: 6-1/2" x 9-1/4", Depth: 4-3/16"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 836 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2920 Post(s)
Liked: 3626
"One thing that really puzzles me, ist that when using the "Max SPL" feature, I get a totally wild response curve, looking nothing like the original calculation..."

the curve looks wild because it is showing several things at the same time.

where the line is red, it is based on the xmax limit of the driver.

where the line is black, it is based on the power rating of the driver.

on the driver displacement option, you can see that a tapped horn has several frequencies where the driver doesn't move at all.

you can then correlate those points on the max spl tab and you will see those are areas where power will limit output.

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page