Need advice for making custom bandpass crossovers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to make custom bandpass crossovers for my car's stock rear speakers. The speakers are 2-ohm 6x9 speakers. I am looking to make simple 1st order Narrow Bandpass 90-1000Hz crossovers. This crossover calculator says I need a .34mH coil and 831uF capacitor. I can't find those exact values on amazon but I found 1000uF 35volt cap and a .35mH Jantzen Inductor.

Here a link to the cap and coil:
http://www.amazon.com/1000uf-Capacitor-105c-Radial-Leads/dp/B004C4TV8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348847042&sr=8-1&keywords=1000uf+35v+capacitor

http://www.amazon.com/Jantzen-0-35mH-AWG-Core-Inductor/dp/B0002M72N4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348847265&sr=1-1&keywords=jantzen+inductor

What would be the new crossover points for these parts? Would these parts work ok for my application? If not, what parts would?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 872 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3728
partsexpress.com has lots of components and is pretty popular around here.

impedance is frequency dependant. if you don't have the tools to measure it, try to eyeball it off the spec sheet. just using nomimal resistance probably won't get you the results that you want unless you experiment quite a bit.

in addition to selecting crossover points, there is also the challenge of level matching the drivers. with different sensitivities, even if you get the crossover point right, it won't sound right because one driver will be louder than the other.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-29-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply.

Great site for electronic parts!

So the impedance at, lets say, 100 Hz is probably more or less than 2-ohms?

Your saying that the rear speakers, even though they are the same, have different sensitivities?

Or the large caps will have very different actual capacitance due to large tolerances and make one speaker sound louder than the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page