A 3 way 99db multi configurable SEOS design - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 950Likes

post #3361 of 3880 Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 2230
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

That said, you could drive these with a tube amp easily.

He should look at the impedance measurement on the first post to see if it'll match his amp ok. I'm not a tube guy either, but I know some tube amps are very picky about impedance swings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3880 Old 12-03-2015, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
This aint really TUBE territory round here.

That said, you could drive these with a tube amp easily. Im afraid to ask but.... is there a reason you would want to use a tube amp?
Strictly curiosity is all. I think tubes/1099s may complement each other (forward/warm) for those that may find them a bit bright. I find them just a touch bright (at times) but it's not worth the added expense to me. I had to ask after hearing all the comments from tube owners about how they sound silky etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
He should look at the impedance measurement on the first post to see if it'll match his amp ok. I'm not a tube guy either, but I know some tube amps are very picky about impedance swings.
Interesting and worth noting.

JVC DLA-RS40 w/003 lamp,DIY False-wall 125" acoustically transparent screen,Darbee Darblet,Sanyo PLV-Z2000 (gaming),7.1 DIYSoundGroup 1099 x3 LCR & Slanted Volt 6 rears x4,Onkyo TX-NR818,Emotiva LPA-1,Behringer EP4000 (x2),Sealed Stereo Integrity HT18"s (x8),Balanced MiniDSP,Cross·Spectrum UMIK-1,DIY Acoustic Treatments,PS3,Sony BDP-S590,Seiki SR4KP1 Region Free BDP,Toshiba HD-A1,Roku,Outdoor Antenna,APC H15 power conditioner,Harmony Smart Control,Rebuilding*HTPC,Leather Theater seating etc.
post #3363 of 3880 Old 12-03-2015, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 35
On the way to finishing my 1099's, veneered the first box (first time veneering), put 5 coats of clear wipe-on poly and finished the box by using paste wax and 0000 steel wool to smooth the finish. Now i'm trying to figure out how I'm going to attach the front baffle to my box after i put all the components inside the box. Seeing if anyone has any ideas on how they attached their front baffle so it was secure and leak proof of air after veneering.

Heres a couple of pics of the box, not the greatest finishing work but i like the veneer a lot. I didn't use any stains as the color was naturally dark and I liked the color of the wood raw so i just put clear gloss poly over the raw wood.

ORIF, luisev, tuxedocivic and 4 others like this.

Displays: JVC RS4910 Projector | 125-inch 2.35:1 Elite Cinetension2 Screen | Panasonic 58V10 Plasma TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A800 | Microsoft XBOX One | Dish Hopper | Intel i5 Nuc w/ Openelec | Behringer iNuke 3000DSP
Speakers: DIY Fusion-12 Tempest (L/R) | DIY 88-Special (C) | DIY Volt-10 Speakers (Surr L/R) | Subwoofers: MartyCube w/ Stereo Integrity SI-18 X 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3364 of 3880 Old 12-03-2015, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I finally my 1099s pretty much complete. Though for now, the attached blurry picture is me testing it quickly this evening. I still have a lot to do on getting everything setup in my room, TV and center will be here later. Hopefully this weekend. For now, just hooked up with the dual dual-opposed Dayton 18s.

No REW measurements for now, no room correction applied. Boy am I already pleased.

Can't wait to get everything setup, fully configured, and even play movies/games with these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0577.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1097066  
post #3365 of 3880 Old 12-04-2015, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post
On the way to finishing my 1099's, veneered the first box (first time veneering), put 5 coats of clear wipe-on poly and finished the box by using paste wax and 0000 steel wool to smooth the finish.

Looks great thus far... what kind of veneer is that?

DIYSG 893 | Emotiva ERD-1 | Dual DIY 18" Subs
Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5 | Dual Crown XLS 2502
Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
Nvidia Shield | Oppo BDP-103 Bluray Player
post #3366 of 3880 Old 12-04-2015, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe mask off the box and attach it with glue like most people do. Getting it flush all around will be a challenge.
post #3367 of 3880 Old 12-04-2015, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev View Post
Looks great thus far... what kind of veneer is that?
I purchased the Wenge QTR RCN EC 4x8 10M veneer from www.glveneer.com. It was a really good price and my wife and I like darker woods so it came out perfect.

Mainly I didn't want to buy a veneer that was going to cost more than $100 per sheet shipped.

Displays: JVC RS4910 Projector | 125-inch 2.35:1 Elite Cinetension2 Screen | Panasonic 58V10 Plasma TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A800 | Microsoft XBOX One | Dish Hopper | Intel i5 Nuc w/ Openelec | Behringer iNuke 3000DSP
Speakers: DIY Fusion-12 Tempest (L/R) | DIY 88-Special (C) | DIY Volt-10 Speakers (Surr L/R) | Subwoofers: MartyCube w/ Stereo Integrity SI-18 X 2
post #3368 of 3880 Old 12-04-2015, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
HAHA, I saw that.

Hey, @Robert Jones II and I couldn't give away everything without making the user think a little bit!

Just follow red as positive and black as negative.
YIKES, I never noticed that - obviously. What fun would DIY be if you did not have that final moment where you were not sure whether your build would work. I just wanted to make sure you had that moment
post #3369 of 3880 Old 12-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post
I purchased the Wenge QTR RCN EC 4x8 10M veneer from www.glveneer.com. It was a really good price and my wife and I like darker woods so it came out perfect.

Mainly I didn't want to buy a veneer that was going to cost more than $100 per sheet shipped.
Gotcha thanks! I appreciate the info...

post #3370 of 3880 Old 12-05-2015, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just a quick update on the 1099 ...

I took some time to temporarily integrate them in my living room, along with my subs.
I ran ARC (Anthem Room Correction) from my MRX-300 and watched some of my favourite Blue Ray discs in the last days.
BTW, after running ARC, the bass from the 1099 improved a lot and is very good now.
For gun shots, explosions, glass shattering, details and impacts in general, they beat the Aperion VGT/VGC hands down.
The dialogues are crystal clear, just like they are on the VGT/VGC, though male vocals sounds more natural and more fuller on the 1099.

I love’em !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1099930  
luisev likes this.

Anthem MRX-300, Sherbourn PA 5-200.
Aperion VGT + VGC, Polk dipole FXi A4 side + FXi A6 back.
DIY Elusive 1099 LCR
SB-13 Ultra + 3 DIY sealed UXL-18.
post #3371 of 3880 Old 12-05-2015, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thumbs up

Just completed my three 1099's!

I snapped a couple pictures with my phone along the way...

The packaging was ridiculously incredible! Those who have received and unpacked a 1099 kit know exactly what I'm talking about.

Inspecting each piece and getting a feel for what I'm about to tackle.

Dry-fit of one of the flat-packs along with the drivers.

Mattress topper foam on all internal walls with exception to the mid section's back - where the crossover will be mounted.

Assembled using wood glue and brad nails, and then got a feel for the size in comparison to one of my Energy v-6.2 towers in my living room.

Used DAP DryDex spackling (the stuff that goes on pink and dries white) and then sanded
using 220 grit.

Annoyed my neighbors at night with my new Bosch 1617EVSPK using a 1/4" round-over bit on all edges.

Recessed some crazy powerful part-express 1/4" grill magnets. Used superglue to secure them and spackled them in the next day after the glue cured.

Primed and spray painted the recessed areas of the baffles and all of the spackle locations.

15/16" holes for the speakon connectors, used parts-express black hot glue (which is incredible stuff!!!!) generously around the connector base and then twisted it into place after pre-drilling the four screw holes.

Found the perfect fitment screws to use, sprayed the heads black to match prior to installing. Utilized the existing 12AWG monoprice CL2 speaker wire I had run to my front speakers, installed right angle Speakon connectors after lopping off the banana plug ends.

Cut approximate lengths for all internal wiring - Monoprice CL2 speaker wire, 14AWG from speakon to crossover, 16AWG from crossover to each driver. Had to let my crimping hand rest for a few days after 36 crimped on disconnects!

Assembled the mtg90 crossovers with a new Weller iron (was long overdue, as my 8 year old radioshack iron just wasn't cutting it anymore), some parts-express black hot glue, and zip ties.

The boards add a very professional appearance and I can't imagine having to lay out everything efficiently without them!

Installed all crossovers on the rear wall of the center sections. Used 1/2" plastic spacers/stand-offs along with washers and 1"screws after pre-drilling a half-inch depth for each corner. As seen in this picture (the horizontal center speaker) the speakon connector was in the center of the speaker's rear - the 3/16" disconnect tabs were bent flat-ish and the wires were hot glued to the mdf under the crossover to their termination points.

The middle sections were stuffed loosely with polyfil, ensuring to separate wires from each other and the crossover to avoid rattling/buzzing down the road.

The left and right cabinets had the speakon connector installed in the center of the bottom woofer section. Sprayed the foam black in the area around the internal port mouths and sealed up the holes for the wiring to the center sections with generous amounts of the black hot glue. Glued four blocks of common wood behind the baffle for each 10" woofer.
Pre-drilled for all drivers, installed the foam gaskets on the mid-range drivers and on the baffle for the waveguides

Had a mini panic attack when the disconnect tab/connector broke off of a compression driver while pushing it on! Removed the waveguide and used a hex-key to disassemble the compression driver, removing the internal ring. Super-Glued the black plastic pieces together and used some strands of wire to repair the broken connection, then reassembled the driver/waveguide. The first thing I did after reassembling was heat up the glue gun and apply a blob of the black hot glue to the top of each black connector plastic that comes out of the sides of the compression drivers to secure them in place so they don't have free-play bending and moving while pushing the disconnects on which made it much easier to push the remaining connectors on.

I'm going to relax for a while prior to building appropriate stands for them.

The recessed mounting of all drivers make for a truly professional appearance regardless of how the exterior is finished.

All wired up and in their rough locations.

Let Audyssey MultEQ XT do it's thing which put the L/C/R at -8/-10/-6.5 and -9.5 for the subwoofer followed by +1.0 and 0.0 for the two surround speakers (Energy Veritas V2.0Ri). Using the Audyssey curve as opposed to Audyssey Flat.

Ran a sweep at 0db on my Denon AVR-4308CI and an REW signal of -10 db FS with my iNuke 6000DSP and twin Marty Cubes crossed over with all channels at 90-100hz.

Up next is a receiver upgrade followed by eight Volt 6 or 8's for surround and Atmos duty and possibly a pair of dual opposed sealed 18" subs with another iNuke 6000DSP. Really kicking myself now for not picking up a couple more SI HT18's before it was too late...

These speakers are absolutely stunning! The clarity they produce while the Denon's power is barely being tapped to reproduce reference levels is exactly what I was hoping for!

Cheers to a phenomenally designed speaker and an incredible community within AVSForum
post #3372 of 3880 Old 12-06-2015, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

They look great in your room! I would have panicked as well when that tab broke... yikes! Do you recall what size connectors you used for the drivers?

I noticed you recessed magnets, any progress on the grills?

Last edited by luisev; 12-06-2015 at 02:27 PM.
post #3373 of 3880 Old 12-06-2015, 06:54 PM

Cool

Everything's coming along nicely here!

Now to get all the AV gear fully situated, rest of my room, Volt 6 and Volt 10s completed.

I can say with out hesitation, that these 1099s are pretty good speakers, the sound stage is great. It actually is what I like to hear. I also can stand these at much higher volume than I could my previous speakers with out feeling like my ears are going to hate me. (Even though they probably still will with really high levels. )

I am using them with the resistor mod enabled currently. I may also consider rotating the left and right channels so that the wave guides will be closer to being level with the center channel. It was a lot of work to get them done, but it sure was well worth it.

I used denim insulation in the mid/tweeter chambers on all three 1099s. A whole roll each, from the pack of six you can order online from Home Depot. Then for the woofer chambers, I got poly-fil extra-loft small 45" x 60" rolls at walmart. One roll per woofer chamber. Then used my staple gun to secure them and ensure proper clearance to prevent the ports from being blocked. I never did take pictures of this step, but it worked out for me.

I'm not one who understands nor speaks a lot of terms when trying to describe how something sounds, I'm not going to try either. I am just thrilled to finally have some high quality speakers, which are honestly fantastic for the price range for the performance you get, even if you have to do all the assembly work. I am quite thankful for the work @tuxedocivic has put into these for the crossover design, and all the work @Erich H has also done, and offering these kits on his site. Also @mtg90 for the PCBs he offers for these speakers to help assembly go much more smoother.

I enjoy my system for games, music, tv shows, and movies. Heck, even my retro gaming systems and computers, and I know these speakers will do excellent at anything I throw at them. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0589.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1102946  
ORIF, WereWolf84, Patzig and 1 others like this.
post #3374 of 3880 Old 12-06-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 175
@Hoodcom ,

Looks nice, is that dual MBM (with JBL 2226 woofer?) below your center channel?
post #3375 of 3880 Old 12-06-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
@Hoodcom ,

Looks nice, is that dual MBM (with JBL 2226 woofer?) below your center channel?
JBL 2242H actually. They are part of the LFE channel, and take over 60Hz and up to 90Hz. I have the crossover point set at 75Hz for the 1099s. Daytons play anything 60Hz and below.

They just begin to roll off on the top end like that for me, so the JBLs will just pick up the slack in between. I'm still working on configuration a bit, but so far so good.
post #3376 of 3880 Old 12-07-2015, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi to all, I'm quite on the forum, but I've been reading for years now.
I decided to make un upgrade to my speaker, and researching for a good LCR setup (I have an AT screen) I find out the 1099. I've read this topic, not all but a lot of pages, and I've seen the diysoundgroup.com site and I understood that the kit is out of stock so I'm asking, when is it going to be a new bach of these speaker kits?
I'm also good with building them without any kit, but I don't understand if there's any scheme available with correct dimensions, or 3D layout of the baffle, because I can't find any.
I have other questions but these are the crucial ones!
Thank you very much!
post #3377 of 3880 Old 12-07-2015, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
@--DANNY-- Same thing happened to me with the CD. I was able to reconnect w/just solder, but that initial "Oh Sh*t"moment was a bit unnerving

Unrelated: I need to get my 1099s up off the floor a bit more (left and right sitting on milk crates at the moment). I'd like to use a couple F20s as risers for the left and right and was hoping to get some opinions as the F20 laying on it's side is a fair bit deeper than the 1099. Is this going to create more issues than it may solve? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
post #3378 of 3880 Old 12-07-2015, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkuno View Post
Hi to all, I'm quite on the forum, but I've been reading for years now.
I decided to make un upgrade to my speaker, and researching for a good LCR setup (I have an AT screen) I find out the 1099. I've read this topic, not all but a lot of pages, and I've seen the diysoundgroup.com site and I understood that the kit is out of stock so I'm asking, when is it going to be a new bach of these speaker kits?
I'm also good with building them without any kit, but I don't understand if there's any scheme available with correct dimensions, or 3D layout of the baffle, because I can't find any.
I have other questions but these are the crucial ones!
Thank you very much!
I believe Erich is short on compression drivers right now, but when more get in there should be another run of these. That's my understanding at least.

As for building them without a kit, that's pretty much impossible with this speaker as the mids are a special order item. They use to be a buyout from parts express, but that dried up in no time with these 1099s becoming so popular. Haha, I remember telling someone, don't worry if you can't buy them for a few months, there's a hundred of those mids. Or something like that. That was a long time ago, and Erich ran out very shortly after I said that Also, the waveguide and CD would be needed to make the speaker work. So you really will need the kit.
post #3379 of 3880 Old 12-07-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1878 Post(s)
Liked: 2694
I've got all the parts on order from the different manufacturers. The Eminence and Celestion parts should be here by the end of the year. I do have some compression drivers, but not a huge amount, and they get used in other kits as well. Hopefully the manufacturer gets me those in about 1 - 1.5 months. I'll likely be setting up another preorder sometime around the end of this month or beginning of January.
brian6751 likes this.

post #3380 of 3880 Old 12-07-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I've got all the parts on order from the different manufacturers.
Erich, just out of curiosity, would you share how many 1099 kits have been sold?
post #3381 of 3880 Old 12-07-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not really sure and would have to look back to when they started. A lot more than the number of people that review them!

post #3382 of 3880 Old 12-07-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not really sure and would have to look back to when they started. A lot more than the number of people that review them!
Hopefully, within 2 weeks, I will be posting good quality photos of my finished trio if you're interested. I will be putting up a good review on the site then. I have just held off this whole time since mine weren't (actually) finished beyond raw MDF.
post #3383 of 3880 Old 12-07-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm working on a new home page and was going to be asking if anyone had any good pictures of SEOS speakers that I could post there.

post #3384 of 3880 Old 12-07-2015, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm working on a new home page and was going to be asking if anyone had any good pictures of SEOS speakers that I could post there.

I'd be happy to contribute my 1099's. They are quite purdy, if I do say so myself!
post #3385 of 3880 Old 12-07-2015, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Feel free to use any of the pics in my build thread as well.
dtsdig likes this.
post #3386 of 3880 Old 12-07-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you, so I'm gonna wait and follow the thread for news.
By the way, my I ask how much is going to cost to ship 3 kits to Italy?
post #3387 of 3880 Old 12-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
OK, the not-so-subtle hint was taken to heart. I just posted a review of my 1099's on the DIYSoundGroup web site. Nothing that you guys haven't heard from me before in my build thread or my other threads.
post #3388 of 3880 Old 12-11-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I finished up my 1099 KITS a few months ago and thought I would finally post some pics. I will add a review to the DIY sound group site shortly as those guys deserve it

I need to get a shot of them behind my screen as they fit nicely and will add it to this post. I also built some 27" tall stands for them to sit on behind my screen.

I also used MTG90 - Matt's 1099 boards for the XO's which made that part of the build easy as Pie and took the guess work out of that part of the build.

I posted a pic of the pcb XO board of my volt 10-LX with the PCB feet I used which made intalling the XO boards easy
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...bc100s3dy00053

DigiWega, krholmberg, ORIF and 7 others like this.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

Last edited by W00lly; 12-11-2015 at 01:05 PM.
post #3389 of 3880 Old 12-11-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post
I finished up my 1099 KITS a few months ago and thought I would finally post some pics. I will add a review to the DIY sound group site shortly as those guys deserve it

I need to get a shot of them behind my screen as they fit nicely and will add it to this post. I also built some 27" tall stands for them to sit on behind my screen.

I also used MTG90 - Matt's 1099 boards for the XO's which made that part of the build easy as Pie and took the guess work out of that part of the build.

I posted a pic of the pcb XO board of my volt 10-LX with the PCB feet I used which made intalling the XO boards easy

Woolly - your back!
Beautiful workmanship on the 1099s !!
(sorry I don't remember what you had before - what these are replacing?)
ORIF likes this.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #3390 of 3880 Old 12-11-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Woolly - your back!
Beautiful workmanship on the 1099s !!
(sorry I don't remember what you had before - what these are replacing?)
dashpuppy likes this.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page