First DIY Dual Dayton RSS460HO 18" Flat Pack Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RickD1225
  • 1 Post By WarrenBerry

post #1 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Well after watching Mario in his Cinemar flat pack build and spending countless hours(days?) here on avs I decided to take the DIY route. Everyone seems to recommend doing their own DIY subs so I figured id start with a sub flat pack as ive never built anything before.

But first,
Parts

Dayton Audio 18" Reference Series HO Subwoofer and Cabinet Package
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-7094

Neutrik NL4MP-UC Speakon Connector 4 Pole Panel Mount
https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4mp-uc-speakon-connector-4-pole-panel-mount--092-067

Neutrik NL4FX Speakon SPX Cable Connector 4P
https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4fx-speakon-spx-cable-connector-4p--092-190

Neutrik NL4FRX Speakon SPX Right Angle Cable Connector 4P
https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4frx-speakon-spx-right-angle-cable-connector-4p--092-192

Talent SC1250 12 AWG 2-Conductor Speaker Cable 50 ft.
https://www.parts-express.com/talent-sc1250-12-awg-2-conductor-speaker-cable-50-ft--101-315

XLR Male to RCA Female Adapter
https://www.parts-express.com/xlr-male-to-rca-female-adapter--240-438

Behringer NU3000 iNUKE 3000 Watt Power Amplifier
https://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu3000-inuke-3000-watt-power-amplifier--248-6704

Titebond 2 wood glue

Clear Sealent

Hex Screws/Washer

Press in wood inserts

I decieded to go with 4 pole rather then two so, if in the future, I wanted to add two more subs I could easily connect one sub box to the next(after some re-wiring) using a smaller cable run rather then run another long one.

Must say making your own cable sure is alot cheaper!

Built the subs at my Dad's place and his help certainly was invaluable. Thanks Dad!

Here we are after opening the boxes and roughly assembling(no glue) to make sure everything fit where it was supposed to

After that was gluing the boxes toghther and then gluing the baffle on top. We had already drilled for our drivers and sucked in some wood inserts(that we added glue to)

We used drywall sealer to fill in the gaps and then added 2 coats of primer with 2 coats of flat black paint.

And lastly sitting in my dad's theater room being tested out. Wiring sequence went from back of Yammy receiver to xlr connectors/adapters on inuke. Then output from inuke to subs. We mounted the right angle connectors on the subs thinking I might one day put these behind an AT screen.

Overall they sound ok. We had to turn the subwoofer gain way up on the receiver to get any signal going to the amp. Amp's are dialed in about 2/3rds on the gain knobs and certainly put the amp into clipping on some of the bass heavy parts of Star Trek Into Darkness.

I had also bought an art cleanbox pro to see if we could get a boosted signal without having to crank the amp. It introduced a really bad hum into the subs so we elected to leave it out and play around with the gain until we had good power with no hum. Is this correct? Should I also be looking into getting a mic and trying to eq these things?

Thoughts suggestions and criticisms welcome!

-Warren

Forgot to add: we used about 3 lbs of acousta stuff. Terribly expensive stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
EQIng is a must with sealed subs. MiniDSP, Behringer equalizers, or any one of several others. You could have gotten a Behringer iNuke 3000 DSP that has equalization built in.
LTD02 likes this.

Spoiler!
post #3 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice build ,BTW.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post

EQIng is a must with sealed subs. MiniDSP, Behringer equalizers, or any one of several others. You could have gotten a Behringer iNuke 3000 DSP that has equalization built in.

Yes I agree!! mistake on my part thinking I ordered DSP model from Parts Express. This is all built in Canada and unfortunately returning things are often be too expensive. Will look at a DSP from miniDSP.com maybe?
post #5 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 217
What was the landed cost after shipping? Curious to see how much it was. Are you in Toronto?

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #6 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Warren, the Mini is a nice addition. Get a USB mic and download the free REW program. REW will generate PEQs for the mini and you can add a low shelf also. Works really well. About a $200 investment, but certainly worth it. You are obviously looking for great low end.

Spoiler!
post #7 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 06:33 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Btw Warren, if you are in Toronto I have a brand new MiniDSP that I bought a couple years ago and never used. If you're interested PM me. It's the balanced version.

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #8 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You said that overall they sound ok. Is there something that you're disappointed with or something you'd like to change about them that you could? I ask because your words don't portray excitement.

Dan
post #9 of 27 Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah Dan youre right. I thought they might be a bit punchier. Watched the famous irene scene from black hawk down and just expected more. Eq and a sub and a vertical marty sub will probably fill in my need. wink.gif
post #10 of 27 Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

To answer how much I paid

$1013 was my bill for parts express which worked out to 1111 CDN. My old man has a delivery address in the states so I paid him $40 to go pick it up. I was charged $140 in duty at the border. The border authority or shipping company will probably charge ALOT more in brokerage fees but I dont know. Shipping was free in the continental US at the time so I didnt have to pay for it as it was going to my dads delivery address
post #11 of 27 Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Glad my sub build thread could provide some motivation for you to take it on yourself. I was certainly motivated by other posters. They look great. You could try repositioning them in your room to see how that affects the sound in the room. I think there is also a break-in period too for most drivers.

I'd be curious to see if you tackle the EQing portion. I have yet to tackle this and haven't had the time to do the research to see how it all comes together and which parts I'll need (Looks like there are several different miniDSP models).
post #12 of 27 Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBerry View Post

Yeah Dan youre right. I thought they might be a bit punchier. Watched the famous irene scene from black hawk down and just expected more. Eq and a sub and a vertical marty sub will probably fill in my need. wink.gif

You would have to EQ the subs to bring the bottom end response up for that scene and even then I'm not sure if it would wow you.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Eq Is a must, placement is also key to achieve even response, another trick is to cross at 100hz,.
post #14 of 27 Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

Eq Is a must, placement is also key to achieve even response, another trick is to cross at 100hz,.

I think this is the key for you. I'd get some type of eq going before you start buying more. You could just double what you have but I don't think that will be necessary.

FWIW I have 4 RSS460's in a 5000 cubic foot room on a slab and I can make white stuff fall off the ceiling....and I haven't bought an eq yet either.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am almost start to build exactly same sub, which amp is best for this?
post #16 of 27 Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

I think i looked at an ep2500 or the inuke 3000. Dsp version is an extra 100 and you can add it later if you like. Check parts express's website as theres only so much power the woofer will take
post #17 of 27 Old 01-06-2014, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I see your not 100% happy with outcome, are you thinking EQing?
post #18 of 27 Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yes in the bear future. Will update post when i have dsp
post #19 of 27 Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

"Punch" can sometimes affiliated to higher frequencies in the bass spectrum, think 60-100hz+ , which typically, long throw subs may not produce as well. The "kick in the chest cavity" that one might hear at a club.
It could be the sub placement, the crossover to your main speakers, lack of EQ, or maybe your main speakers themselves.

For example, my mains use JBL 2226's (4 PI), and for midbass, 50-60hz+, they destroy my subs in prettymuch every way.
Again, punch is subjective, so it could be any number of things, but I'm sure you'll figure out what's needed for them to wow you.

Always nice to see other canucks around here... I'm from the Falls tongue.gif
post #20 of 27 Old 03-03-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well good news. After fiddling with the position of the subwoofer and lots of tests I think im finally satisfied with the way they sound. Lots of LFE, so much so my head rattles.

On to more important topics. I had decided to add some frames mostly for aesthetics but also to keep the woofers a little cleaner.

First of I ordered a few of these kits from Parts Express

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-grill-frame-corner-kit-4-pcs--260-348

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-grill-frame-kit--260-346

http://www.parts-express.com/mellotone-premium-black-speaker-grill-cloth-yard-64-wide--260-332

So basically the strips on the length side for the kit were long enough that I could do 2 18" sub flat packs with 1 kit. I needed another 4 piece corner kit in addition as the kit only comes with 4 corner pieces.

After that came assembly which was pretty easy.

First we made a bit of a jig so we could evenly place our mounting holes. Good idea Dad.

We counter sunk the holes with a 5/8" bit. These were drilled to 3/4"

Then the rubber grommets get installed

Spacing the grill from the driver was a bit of a problem as the driver is thick and sticks out alot from the box. Dad came up with this marvelous idea to get us some distance. Its essentially a chunk of plastic rod bored out to make a spacer.

Smash the frames toghther....

Stretch the fabric and install on the sub. Used 3M doublesided tape to afix the cloth to the outside and inside of the frame. The cloth was really good and didnt stretch too much so it wasnt difficult to do a tight cover with a uniform pattern on the cloth. I found a really good video on youtube that helped me miter the fabric corners and it made it look pretty good. Ill have to try to find it here somewhere... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ1H3_uv2uE#t=406

Oh and my tempests shipped! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
jsgrise likes this.
post #21 of 27 Old 03-03-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Glad you got them working. Grills look good too. Did you have to leave them that far out to keep the surround from hitting?

I wished my room looked that clean.
post #22 of 27 Old 05-26-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I basically just made the same purchase except with an iNuke 6000DSP instead of the 3000. This should be fun smile.gif

I am glad you posted pictures of the enclosures, they helped me decide to go ahead and purchase them. They will likely be temporary until I decide if I want to build a couple of dual opposed 18" subs with the Dayton 18's.
post #23 of 27 Old 05-29-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Wish i bought the 6000 dsp too. Youre going to like them
post #24 of 27 Old 05-31-2014, 07:11 AM

Got all the stuff in the mail yesterday. Fitted both enclosures together and they are perfect smile.gif Just got the bracing on one of them glued and clamped. Now I am off to the zoo with the family this morning. Hope to finish both enclosures up today and then start playing with them by tomorrow evening smile.gif
post #25 of 27 Old 05-31-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post

Got all the stuff in the mail yesterday. Fitted both enclosures together and they are perfect smile.gif Just got the bracing on one of them glued and clamped. Now I am off to the zoo with the family this morning. Hope to finish both enclosures up today and then start playing with them by tomorrow evening smile.gif

Pics or it didnt happen
post #26 of 27 Old 05-31-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Pics or it didnt happen

As requested, haha.

Gluing and clamping the braces (I was most worried about this step, but with the knock-down kit I could have glued and not used clamps and they still would have been perfect).

The box with clamps and glue. I got a little impatient with this step, but was able to easily fix my snafu in the end. I probably should have put the small ends on first then the large sides. I will probably do that with the 2nd enclosure. The front baffle is not glued on, I just fitted in on there to make sure my braces were in the correct positions.

Too much glue, but I will probably be sealing the seams with PL anyway smile.gif

2nd enclosure with braces glued and clamped. My daughter being funny in the background, lol

Yes, I will be gluing the seams where the braces meet. I will use PL on those parts.

ALSO, for anyone who is in the market for more clamps, be sure to check home depot and lowes for closeout large clamps. Certain Irwin and Bessey clamps are on closeout. I got 18 new clamps (24" and 36") all for less than $140. I still need to setup my new drill press as that is what I will be using to drill the holes in the baffles.
post #27 of 27 Old 05-31-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Looks great and dont worry everyone does it diffrent the second or third time. Will you be using press in wood inserts for the woofer mount?

I used two diffrent drill bits for the wood inserts but in retro would have used one drill bit and wood glue.

Either way nice pics!! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Dayton Audio Rss460ho 4 18 Reference Ho Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page