Coaxials: Another DIY Group Project. - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 681Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1741 of 1754 Old 11-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
LondonBenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Mounting depth on the 12" with the compression driver is 6.5".
And am I right in thinking that because it's a compression driver on the back, there is no vent hole and thus no need for spacing behind the entire assemble (save for some expansion/flex/vibration wriggle room)?
LondonBenji is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1742 of 1754 Old 11-30-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtg90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Millbrook, IL
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 600 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
That's right.
LondonBenji and 18Hurts like this.
mtg90 is online now  
post #1743 of 1754 Old 12-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
JonfromCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Council Bluffs Iowa
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 165
December 2019. Considering all the time and effort that went into these, still no flat packs? What a shame.
JonfromCB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1744 of 1754 Old 12-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Member
 
surrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
the flat packs are convenient but if you can't figure out how to get wood cut, give me a break. The glue up is harder than cutting the wood. These coax's are nice and probably deserve a nice custom cabinet. This is diy, right?
surrie is online now  
post #1745 of 1754 Old 12-01-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,522
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrie View Post
the flat packs are convenient but if you can't figure out how to get wood cut, give me a break. The glue up is harder than cutting the wood. These coax's are nice and probably deserve a nice custom cabinet. This is diy, right?
Not everyone's good with woodworking. It's not just cutting 6 pieces of wood and glue it in... there's a rounded recess for the woofers for instance. That one, unless one have all the necessary tools and know how is not as easy. or, how the flat packs' connecting panels are grooved so they stick together well, not just flat pieces of wood... if there were flat packs, i might already have ordered it... But Erich's a busy man... not easy doing stuff like this as a one man show.
coolgeek is offline  
post #1746 of 1754 Old 12-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Member
 
surrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Not everyone's good with woodworking. It's not just cutting 6 pieces of wood and glue it in... there's a rounded recess for the woofers for instance. That one, unless one have all the necessary tools and know how is not as easy. or, how the flat packs' connecting panels are grooved so they stick together well, not just flat pieces of wood... if there were flat packs, i might already have ordered it... But Erich's a busy man... not easy doing stuff like this as a one man show.
I'm sick and in bed so I may have come off a little more grumpy about it than I actually am. The round over for the woofer does not matter and butt joint and glue work just fine. Believe me I'm a hack, I usually just use 2x2's for bracing and call it a day.
surrie is online now  
post #1747 of 1754 Old 12-01-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,522
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrie View Post
I'm sick and in bed so I may have come off a little more grumpy about it than I actually am. The round over for the woofer does not matter and butt joint and glue work just fine. Believe me I'm a hack, I usually just use 2x2's for bracing and call it a day.
Ah, but it doesn't look as nice..

the 2x2s are a great idea though.. also gives you more wood inside in case you want to put a screw in to hang em
coolgeek is offline  
post #1748 of 1754 Old 12-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Member
 
surrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Ah, but it doesn't look as nice..

the 2x2s are a great idea though.. also gives you more wood inside in case you want to put a screw in to hang em
I will also often use 4- 2x2's along the seams for additional glue surface and for screws as-well. It's a very easy construction technique.
As for the roundover, I said I was hack.
surrie is online now  
post #1749 of 1754 Old 12-02-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,522
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
CDX1-1731 is being used in these, I liked it in the Titan design as it is one of the more transparent compression drivers that I have used and it works well in these designs too.

I recently finished the 15" coax design and really like how this one turned out. Didn't I say the 15" might measure better then the 12"!

Well here is the on/off axis response (gated) of that one.
Since the Titans uses the same CD, how do they compare in terms of overall sound quality between the Titans and these? Advantages and disadvantages?
coolgeek is offline  
post #1750 of 1754 Old 12-02-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtg90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Millbrook, IL
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 600 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Well I never compared them side by side so I'm going off memory.

As expected the high frequencies are similar on the two designs. The main exception being some narrowing in the pattern above 12k on the coaxials where the HF horn becomes more exponential in that last octave, while the waveguide on the Titan is constant directivity. So past about +-20 degrees your loose some of the airiness or very top end sizzle in the treble range while the Titan exhibits a more gradual or consistent falloff. That said the top end narrowing on the coaxials isn't too different then the off axis response of some of the larger dome tweeters where the best sound/flattest response will be mostly on axis.

The midrange on the Coaxials do sound more cohesive and natural but perhaps a tad less transparent then the Titan. I prefer the bass response of the 15" Coaxial to the Titan-615LX, seems to be more effortless and hit with more impact then the Titan but it was also in a much larger lower tuned cabinet (6.5cuft ~35hz vs. 4cuft 40hz). It's not capable of as much bass output as the Titan but you still need a big amp to reach it's limits.

I'd take the Coaxials over the Titan for music especially when used in a larger tower enclosure but I think the Titan is still better for home theater use when you want a larger sweet spot and better coverage for multiple seats.

Last edited by mtg90; 12-03-2019 at 10:21 AM.
mtg90 is online now  
post #1751 of 1754 Old 12-04-2019, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,522
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Well I never compared them side by side so I'm going off memory.

As expected the high frequencies are similar on the two designs. The main exception being some narrowing in the pattern above 12k on the coaxials where the HF horn becomes more exponential in that last octave, while the waveguide on the Titan is constant directivity. So past about +-20 degrees your loose some of the airiness or very top end sizzle in the treble range while the Titan exhibits a more gradual or consistent falloff. That said the top end narrowing on the coaxials isn't too different then the off axis response of some of the larger dome tweeters where the best sound/flattest response will be mostly on axis.

The midrange on the Coaxials do sound more cohesive and natural but perhaps a tad less transparent then the Titan. I prefer the bass response of the 15" Coaxial to the Titan-615LX, seems to be more effortless and hit with more impact then the Titan but it was also in a much larger lower tuned cabinet (6.5cuft ~35hz vs. 4cuft 40hz). It's not capable of as much bass output as the Titan but you still need a big amp to reach it's limits.

I'd take the Coaxials over the Titan for music especially when used in a larger tower enclosure but I think the Titan is still better for home theater use when you want a larger sweet spot and better coverage for multiple seats.
Great explanation. Now, you're making people buy both.. hahah
coolgeek is offline  
post #1752 of 1754 Old 12-05-2019, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
LondonBenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 121
If you have 6" studs, I'm thinking the 12" coaxial is going to make a great in wall speaker option, boxed correctly between the studs of course, unless they'll run infinite baffle like the Volts?
LondonBenji is offline  
post #1753 of 1754 Old 12-05-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtg90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Millbrook, IL
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 600 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
They will run IB no problem if using a Crossover at 80hz or higher. It might be a little heavy in the lower midrange mounted in a wall like that as there is more BSC baked into these then the Volts. Nothing some room correction or EQ couldn't fix but primary voicing was done for freestanding tower enclosures.
mtg90 is online now  
post #1754 of 1754 Old 12-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
JonfromCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Council Bluffs Iowa
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Not everyone's good with woodworking. It's not just cutting 6 pieces of wood and glue it in... there's a rounded recess for the woofers for instance. That one, unless one have all the necessary tools and know how is not as easy. or, how the flat packs' connecting panels are grooved so they stick together well, not just flat pieces of wood... if there were flat packs, i might already have ordered it... But Erich's a busy man... not easy doing stuff like this as a one man show.
All good points. Not all DIY'ers are woodworkers. I'm a busy man and one man show too. Maybe Coolgeek will give us a break and build us some "nice" cabinets.
JonfromCB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off