Talk me off the ledge! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Ok, no I don't need to seek professional help, I think you guys are up to the task!

I'm thinking about entering the DIY world (and starting easy) but, I've got a few concerns that I just can't wrap my head around.

First of all, I've never heard a "good" sub setup. The HSU VTF3.4 or my 2 Klipsch RW-12Ds has been as good as it's gotten for me. I'm leaning towards getting two SI HT18D4, erich h flatpack 4 cubic foot, and the inuke 3000dsp..

1. Is this going to blow me out of the water? Is it considerably better than 1 HSU or 2 Klipschs?

2. Is this worth the ~$1,000 for 2 subs?

3. Since I rent - have no option to route dedicated power outlet - will I constantly be blowing a fuse watching movies?

4. I don't know that I can build a big enough sub, like the Marty Sub, or some other LLT - sono tube has me interested due to the small footprint, but again, moving it and not knowing the next place I'm going to live is something to consider. The 22x22x22 footprint of Erichs flatpacks is enticing, but I feel like I'd want to go slightly larger to get lower?

5. Will the 2 SI's with only 4 CF (each) go low like I want it? Obviously I want to hit 10 Hz in room (even though I've have no idea what this is like) - will I be able to use my UN-balanced miniDSP and/or the DSP in the inuke to get sufficient lows?

I know, you are going to ask me about my room size, currently it's a pretty big room (14x25 with 9' ceilings. It also has an open hallway to the rest of the house, and basement and bedrooms... however, I rent the house and will maybe move in the next 6 months to some unknown location.

This is a lot of money, but I have the urge and desire to experience a good system that is going to blow me out of the water when watching movies!! (15% music, 10% TV, 25% video games, 50% movies) So, Is now the time to buy? Does this seem like one of my best options? Should I look at something else?

Also, I can purchase the drivers / amp right now and still think about the cabs - but I don't want to miss out on the sales!

I would like to pull the trigger in the next 12-24 hours if you think it's a good idea Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
1. Is this going to blow me out of the water? Is it considerably better than 1 HSU or 2 Klipschs?

Yes

Quote:
2. Is this worth the ~$1,000 for 2 subs?

Yes

Quote:
3. Since I rent - have no option to route dedicated power outlet - will I constantly be blowing a fuse watching movies?

Doubtful.

Quote:
5. Will the 2 SI's with only 4 CF (each) go low like I want it? Obviously I want to hit 10 Hz in room (even though I've have no idea what this is like) - will I be able to use my UN-balanced miniDSP and/or the DSP in the inuke to get sufficient lows?

Low, Yes. 10 hz with any authority, nada. Lower and louder than previous drivers, yes.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #3 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

So, I didn't really state my question in #4.... but when considering something like a marty sub - how much better would that be really? (again, its hard for me to fathom what better is since I currently am listening to the best I've heard - and you guys say it sucks! biggrin.gif)

If I play movies only *so* loud, the sealed should be able to keep up and be loud, right? So - how much does a Marty really get me (not just db, but in real experience)?

Also, I was thinking about building the flatpack, and then maybe someday if I have room switching over to the Marty sub - good /bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Marty , Marty , Marty !!!
I'm biased since I own one and soon adding a second martysub . What's the difference between sealed and marty at 20 hz ? About 10 dbs or twice as loud. What is gives you is when a bass note goes from 40hz to 20hz it doesn't fade . It stays strong and powerful . You will want to invite people over to show off.
post #5 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

About 10 dbs or twice as loud. What is gives you is when a bass note goes from 40hz to 20hz it doesn't fade . It stays strong and powerful . You will want to invite people over to show off.

Ha! That's what I'm afraid of! Well, so how about the driver / amp? I can always debate over the cab design, right? The SI seems to be one of the best out there right now (for cost) and the DSP 3000 seems to be used by a lot of people as well.

EDIT: The SI 18D4 since I can wire the VC in parallel to get the 1500 watts out of each channel, right?
post #6 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked: 4298
You'd have to buy like 6 Klipsch RW-12D to match 2 SI 18 Martysubs.
Does that put it into perspective for ya? LOL biggrin.gif
post #7 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

You'd have to buy like 6 Klipsch RW-12D to match 2 SI 18 Martysubs.
Does that put it into perspective for ya? LOL biggrin.gif

I figured it would take more than that!!

I imagine that the Klipsch would have significantly higher distortion also.
post #8 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziedog View Post

I imagine that the Klipsch would have significantly higher distortion also.

I think you are correct on this. I had the BIC F12 and wow it was nice, the Klipsch are definitely louder, but I do think it is more "boomy"

Half the reason I am seriously considering the sealed flat pack over the marty because I also want good sound quality - not just loud.
post #9 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDust58 View Post

I think you are correct on this. I had the BIC F12 and wow it was nice, the Klipsch are definitely louder, but I do think it is more "boomy"

Half the reason I am seriously considering the sealed flat pack over the marty because I also want good sound quality - not just loud.

These are significantly higher quality drivers and either the Marty or the flat pack will have better sound quality than the Bic or the Klipsch. The Marty subs will dominate in terms of spl while maintaining great SQ. The flat pack will by far be easier and take up much less space.
post #10 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:

I'm biased since I own one and soon adding a second martysub . What's the difference between sealed and marty at 20 hz ? About 10 dbs or twice as loud. What is gives you is when a bass note goes from 40hz to 20hz it doesn't fade . It stays strong and powerful . You will want to invite people over to show off.

10dB is more then twice as loud. Doubling up subs adds 6db, so 10dB is almost the same as having three of the same sub. Or three times as loud.
post #11 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Quote:

10dB is more then twice as loud. Doubling up subs adds 6db, so 10dB is almost the same as having three of the same sub. Or three times as loud.

I could be wrong but their is a difference between subs doubled and spl doubling. Whether its bass or main speakers it takes a 10 db increase in spl to achieve twice as loud . That's why the power needed for a 10db increase in output is so great. I think ....
post #12 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked: 3771
10db isn't exactly "twice as loud", though it's close to what we PERCEIVE as sounding twice as loud.

As for talking you off the ledge... This is the DIY forum, you're in the wrong place for that my friend wink.gif
post #13 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

10db isn't exactly "twice as loud", though it's close to what we PERCEIVE as sounding twice as loud.

As for talking you off the ledge... This is the DIY forum, you're in the wrong place for that my friend wink.gif

Amen!
post #14 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, I just woke up in the middle of my night thinking about this... checked amazon for price match:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU3000DSP-Ultra-Lightweight-High-Density-3000-Watt/dp/B005EHINAS/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_d_2

and saw PSSL prosound had the NU3000DSP for 280 through the amazon interface and pulled the trigger biggrin.gif

Now I need to get serious about driver, and then cab design.

My thought is that I want a versatile driver that eventually will perform to my craziest expectations, however, for some reason keeping it small(er) and somewhat simple right now sounds appealing. Even if I decide the spring for new material in say, 2 or 3 years, and build the marty sub.

The SI 18D4 seems to be my best option right now? I guess, I'm also concerned that I have not really considered anything smaller where maybe I could get deeper extension from a 15" right now, but that the 18" will be better in the long run?
post #15 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So I think a lot of times this gets mixed up even when people mean the same thing.

So a quick google search says the twice the SPL level is 6+dB and twice the loudness level is 10+dB.
post #16 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 12:44 AM

post #17 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 862 Post(s)
Quoted: 2955 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
as mentioned, the ported sub has about a 10db advantage vs sealed around the tuning frequency. 10db is equal to 3.2 times as many subs.

the si subs are discontinued, so if you want them the d4 is a good match for your amp. grab them while they last. wired in parallel for 2 ohms per channel. 2 work well.

there is a plot of the spl ported and sealed cab in the martysub! post:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1489541/large-ported-dayton-ho18s#post_23711347

equal loudness curves are compressed in the low bass, so 10db increase is pretty huge.
notnyt likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #18 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:

Why do people equate sealed with good and ported as not good? I just changed from 8 lms ultras in sealed boxes to ported, never going back unless I have space constraints in a future theater.

I guess a lot of the consumer grade commercial subs out there aren't done very well. There shouldn't be anything "boomy" in a properly designed and implemented ported sub setup.
steve nn likes this.
post #19 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 01:24 AM

jbl m2 - vented
revel salon - vented
jbl everest/k2 - vented
genelecs entire main monitor lineup - vented
legacy focus - vented
b&w 800 diamond - vented
kef reference 207/2 - vented
tad reference one - vented
meyer sound x10 - vented

i guess for musical bass, sealed is the way to go. :-)~

Listen. It's All Good.
post #20 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Stereo Integrity HT 18 D4 order submitted! eek.gif

At modest listening levels, is it possible to boost the low end with the DSP high enough to get pretty good reproduction of the low ends in the 4 CF sealed? I'd love to do the 2 dual opposed in 8CF, but believe I am better off with 2 separate systems, correct?

Is there another similar design to the Marty that would not be 4 foot long and produce great lows?
LTD02 likes this.
post #21 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Honestly, the marty sub is what got me going on this DIY bandwaggon. Hearing chalugagp say that it puts his VTF-15 to shame, and I had been ogling the VTF-15 for quite some time, it really gave me the urge to DIY. However, the 2' X 4' footprint and weight has me concerned with moving it around and the possible future setups that can be achieved since my living situation seems to change fairly regularly.....
post #22 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Doubling up subs adds 6db, so 10dB is almost the same as having three of the same sub. Or three times as loud.

Doubling surface area adds 3db's, not 6. I think the six is derived from the assumption that you are wiring in parallel which would also double amplifier output; thus giving you the additional 3 db's. Keep in mind that these need to be placed within a 1/4 wavelength of each other. If not then all bets are off.

So in essence; doubling of amplifier power increases db by 3 (all other factors staying equal)
Doubling of surface area increases db by 3 (all other factors staying equal, and meeting placement guidelines)
10 db increase is what they claim the human ear will perceive as twice as loud.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #23 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Doubling surface area adds 3db's, not 6. I think the six is derived from the assumption that you are wiring in parallel which would also double amplifier output; thus giving you the additional 3 db's. Keep in mind that these need to be placed within a 1/4 wavelength of each other. If not then all bets are off.

So in essence; doubling of amplifier power increases db by 3 (all other factors staying equal)
Doubling of surface area increases db by 3 (all other factors staying equal, and meeting placement guidelines)
10 db increase is what they claim the human ear will perceive as twice as loud.

When I said 6dB I assumed most would think the same sub twice, meaning adding a second exact sub with the same amount of power also. So yes doubling the power too. So for example going from one say 15" sub with a 500w plate too two separate co-located subs each with its own 500w amp.
post #24 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Stereo Integrity HT 18 D4 order submitted! eek.gif

At modest listening levels, is it possible to boost the low end with the DSP high enough to get pretty good reproduction of the low ends in the 4 CF sealed? I'd love to do the 2 dual opposed in 8CF, but believe I am better off with 2 separate systems, correct?

Depends on your goals. If you are lacking output, then co location can improve that. If you have a tough room to work with when it comes to FR, then separate placement can really smooth this out.

You can boost the low end; just keep in mind for every 3 db's you boost you are requiring your amplifier to work twice as hard (produce twice as much output). Boosting a 10hz signal is a lot harder on the amp than boosting a 50hz signal.

I would first check to see how much you headroom you have in regards to clipping before getting overzealous in the boosting dept.

post #25 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

When I said 6dB I assumed most would think the same sub twice, meaning adding a second exact sub with the same amount of power also. So yes doubling the power too. So for example going from one say 15" sub with a 500w plate too two separate co-located subs each with its own 500w amp.

Just want to clarify as there are many here who would not assume that. You'd be surprised how much misinformation is floating around out there. smile.gif

post #26 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

I should also clarify that I am build TWO drivers - whether I decide to go with 2 large marty or 2 sealed or something else I have 2 drivers to use and assumed I'd wire the voice in parallel to get 2 ohms per driver, and then each driver would be wired to the two channels in the inuke 3000DSP
post #27 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Is it as simple as using one (or would I need two?) of these adapters to plug my RCA output from my AVR into the new amp?

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Technology-GXM133-Signal-Converter/dp/B000068O4D/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y
post #28 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is it as simple as using one (or would I need two?) of these adapters to plug my RCA output from my AVR into the new amp?

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Technology-GXM133-Signal-Converter/dp/B000068O4D/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y

One will suffice.

post #29 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 PM

"I should also clarify that I am build TWO drivers - whether I decide to go with 2 large marty or 2 sealed or something else I have 2 drivers to use and assumed I'd wire the voice in parallel to get 2 ohms per driver, and then each driver would be wired to the two channels in the inuke 3000DSP"

yes.

if you want a vertical arrangement, a sonotube is a pretty simple build and will perform the same if the same size and tuning frequency. there are a couple in process right now...

or something like this is yet another option:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1493647/the-plasmad-pocket-sub/0_50

Listen. It's All Good.
post #30 of 30 Old 02-09-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I've only got a day or two left with my two Klipsch subwoofers and so in anticipation of being curious what the performance differences are I decided to take a measurement or two.

Hopefully I took these right. Plugged my laptop in through HDMI, unplugged all other speakers, turned audessy off and subs up - Though the subs I didn't push all the way, they were set to -5db on the sub - but the sub trim in the receiver was to 0dB. Volume on receiver was only -20db (my normal listening level with my setup).

The pink line is with both subs, the blue is just 1 sub turned on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page