Remember that strip of tearout I showed earlier?
Here's what I did to fix it. First I set up a straight edge for the router to ride against. Then I cut out a bigger piece than what was torn out except this time, it's straight and uniform. (The board in the pic is not what I ended up using, but you get the idea.)
Then I cut out a new straight piece using a router guide and then slowly started to shape it for the cutout.
Eventually, I had this:
While I was fitting the piece in, I discovered that when I routed out the area, I removed all of the contact cement that was there that had accounted for some thickness of the front walnut pieces in their finished place. Hope that makes sense.
Anyway, to make up for this height difference with the piece I made, I found that a piece of paper folded 4 layers thick gave me the thickness I needed to lift the new piece up so it was on the same plane as the rest of the face.
After cutting out the folded paper to fit, I glued all layers of it together and then finally glued in the new piece on top of it.
I am super thrilled at how it turned out! Here it is after being trimmed and sanded: