The Dtsdig Curvy-Cab Tux-1099 build!! - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 365Likes

post #601 of 771 Old 12-04-2015, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
So I have been thinking about the ports and the fact that they will be the only components on the baffles that are surface mounted vs. recessed. This will make the flange on them stick up higher off the surface than all of the drivers. With how far I've gone with this build, I am hesitant to have black plastic ports sitting on the front to begin with. They look ok, but could be better.
I've thought about trying to cut the flange off of them and then just gluing them into the holes so that all you see are the cutouts in the walnut and the body of the ports would be inside.

Thoughts? Other ideas?
I had the same dilemma when I made my volt 8s....I ended up rounding over the port holes so the slot ports were flush. You could also rabbet the holes to get the ports flush which would work better. For the soundbar I'm working on i'm going with flared round ports because I think they look a lot nicer. I can take some close up pics of the volt 8 ports when I get home if that will help...they definitely look nicer to me recessed in the baffle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 771 Old 12-04-2015, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuddyguy View Post
I had the same dilemma when I made my volt 8s....I ended up rounding over the port holes so the slot ports were flush. You could also rabbet the holes to get the ports flush which would work better. For the soundbar I'm working on i'm going with flared round ports because I think they look a lot nicer. I can take some close up pics of the volt 8 ports when I get home if that will help...they definitely look nicer to me recessed in the baffle.
Please take some pics! That would be helpful. I obviously won't be able to change the shape or size of the ports because of the limited real estate on the front of the 1099's, but I'm sure there is something I could do. I did think about just recessing them through the walnut, but I don't own a rabbeting bit set (yet). That would surely make easy work out of it! I'll have to look into that. I've been eyeballing a set from Whiteside for months.
post #603 of 771 Old 12-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Sure thing man. Yah, a good rabbet set with multiple bearing sizes is super useful for flush mounting drivers, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 771 Old 12-04-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 2229
Take some scrap MDF and what out a matching hole in it using the stock baffle and a template/flush trim bit. Then use the scrap to try a rabbiting bit and test for the port. I'd hate to see you try on you nice walnut and end up not liking the result when making a matching test piece is so easy.

You were probably heading in that direction anyways, but just in case
post #605 of 771 Old 12-04-2015, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Take some scrap MDF and what out a matching hole in it using the stock baffle and a template/flush trim bit. Then use the scrap to try a rabbiting bit and test for the port. I'd hate to see you try on you nice walnut and end up not liking the result when making a matching test piece is so easy.

You were probably heading in that direction anyways, but just in case
Great idea. I'll have to test a few different things on some scrap before I attempt the real thing. I'd cry if I botched these up now!
post #606 of 771 Old 12-04-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Please take some pics! That would be helpful. I obviously won't be able to change the shape or size of the ports because of the limited real estate on the front of the 1099's, but I'm sure there is something I could do. I did think about just recessing them through the walnut, but I don't own a rabbeting bit set (yet). That would surely make easy work out of it! I'll have to look into that. I've been eyeballing a set from Whiteside for months.
Here's what they look like...sorry for the crappy cell phone pics
brian6751 and Robert Jones II like this.
post #607 of 771 Old 12-05-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Fab up some ports out of solid hardwood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #608 of 771 Old 12-05-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuddyguy View Post
Here's what they look like...sorry for the crappy cell phone pics
that turned out really good

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #609 of 771 Old 12-05-2015, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoDTM View Post
Fab up some ports out of solid hardwood?
Oh, I've thought about it! One problem with that though is the fact that the bottom (or top) of the port cutouts through the baffle are right up against the divider wall/top of cab.
post #610 of 771 Old 12-05-2015, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Remember that strip of tearout I showed earlier?

Here's what I did to fix it. First I set up a straight edge for the router to ride against. Then I cut out a bigger piece than what was torn out except this time, it's straight and uniform. (The board in the pic is not what I ended up using, but you get the idea.)

Then I cut out a new straight piece using a router guide and then slowly started to shape it for the cutout.

Eventually, I had this:

While I was fitting the piece in, I discovered that when I routed out the area, I removed all of the contact cement that was there that had accounted for some thickness of the front walnut pieces in their finished place. Hope that makes sense.
Anyway, to make up for this height difference with the piece I made, I found that a piece of paper folded 4 layers thick gave me the thickness I needed to lift the new piece up so it was on the same plane as the rest of the face.
After cutting out the folded paper to fit, I glued all layers of it together and then finally glued in the new piece on top of it.

I am super thrilled at how it turned out! Here it is after being trimmed and sanded:

post #611 of 771 Old 12-05-2015, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #612 of 771 Old 12-05-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
that turned out really good
Thanks Brian!
brian6751 likes this.
post #613 of 771 Old 12-05-2015, 02:12 PM

Nice Dtsdig...that repair looks seamless to me!
post #614 of 771 Old 12-05-2015, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys!
Fixing the air bubbles in the veneer went fine using the clothes iron method. Turned out great!
I made a little router template to cut the SpeakOn holes back out.

All of the walnut is sanded and all the edges have a nice little micro-bevel on them now. The only step left tomorrow is to do a quick hand sand on the birch and then clean everything up! I should be able to start getting coats of shellac on tomorrow!!!
post #615 of 771 Old 12-06-2015, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #616 of 771 Old 12-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Wow! Very nice indeed! Just a clear satin?

DIYSG 893 | Emotiva ERD-1 | Dual DIY 18" Subs
Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5 | Dual Crown XLS 2502
Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
Nvidia Shield | Oppo BDP-103 Bluray Player
post #617 of 771 Old 12-06-2015, 03:37 PM

Looks really nice! I love walnut!
post #618 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I sanded with 400 and then put on the second coat of Shellac last night. I haven't re-sanded yet because I was wondering if I just use the 400 again (very lightly)?
How many coats of Shellac should I use before I start poly? The can says that 1-2 is typical. @tuxedocivic @PassingInterest
post #619 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered an Earlex HV5500 spray system yesterday which should arrive Wednesday. Yesterday my wife was asking me about finishing and she has heard me talking about spray finishes before. She said "Why don't you go pick one of those up today to make things easier?" OK! So I went to Woodcraft and between the spray system and the cleaning kit, it was almost $390, which was way more than I was looking to spend considering I had seen this kit on sale for around $250 within the last couple of weeks.
I asked the guy if he could do 10% off after hearing his coworker offer 10% to the other customer that was in there looking at lathes. He said no, pretty straightforward. I paid for everything and then got back out the car where I looked around online for a few minutes and realized that while retail on the system is $339, these can be had online for under $300 quite often. I went back in and told the guy that while I like to buy there and buy locally whenever I can, it just didn't make sense for me to buy it from them when the system can be bought for $300 on Rockler, Amazon and several other places. He said "Ok" and made no attempt to keep the sale whatsoever. I returned the system and the cleaning kit and re-purchased them on Amazon for $339 with a cleaning kit and the fine finishing tip. Woodcraft bothers me, which is too bad considering how much I've spent on tools over the last 2 years. YMMV
post #620 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev View Post
Wow! Very nice indeed! Just a clear satin?
So far, just two coats of Shellac. I will be using satin poly as the finish.
luisev likes this.
post #621 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 389
post #622 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Wow, those turned out awesome @dtsdig , I can't wait to see these beasts finished up
I have used shellac before but only after applying some oil finish first and letting in dry for a few days, then 2-3 coats of shellac finished off with some satin poly.

Hearing about how Woodcraft wouldn't budge is a little disheartening. I like to shop there but I, too, have had some issues like that lately. Usually, I can wait a couple more days with shipping instead to paying more.
post #623 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 116
The cabinets look great, and I'm very interested to hear how the Earlex spray system works out for you.
post #624 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBurns View Post
Wow, those turned out awesome @dtsdig

Hearing about how Woodcraft wouldn't budge is a little disheartening. I like to shop there but I, too, have had some issues like that lately. Usually, I can wait a couple more days with shipping instead to paying more.
I have been in there several times over the last couple of months and there is really only a couple of guys in there that are friendly to deal with. It's like too many years of standing around a store surrounded by Powermatic, Festool and Sawstop have made them snooty towards the general public. I did spend $30 there last weekend for a Freud router bit that I could have bought online for $20, but I needed it that day. It's unfortunate that they don't seem interested in competing for customers' business. I know that the Roc location is franchised so it could just have to do with the owner's personal policies. I ran into this issue when I was trying to purchase my Steel City planer a while back.
post #625 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 2229
Those look amazing. Glad they're turning out for you.

When you get the spray, I wouldn't worry about sanding much. Shellac dissolves into itself, like nitro lacquer. And if you do plan on going to poly, you're probably done. Go to the poly now. Make sure you used dewaxed shellac! You may even consider just layering on the shellac and stopping there. Nothing wrong with shellac as a finish, unless you plan on spilling alcohol on it.

You'll love having a sprayer. Saves money in the long run and you can get way more material on waayyyy faster. You can wet that entire speaker in 2 minutes. And the earlex is highly regarded. I personally just use a cheapie HVLP and my compressor. I've debated getting a nicer gun, but can't quite get myself there yet. To many other temptations
PassingInterest likes this.
post #626 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Wow!
These keep getting better and better, they are beautiful...

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #627 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Those look amazing. Glad they're turning out for you.

When you get the spray, I wouldn't worry about sanding much. Shellac dissolves into itself, like nitro lacquer. And if you do plan on going to poly, you're probably done. Go to the poly now. Make sure you used dewaxed shellac! You may even consider just layering on the shellac and stopping there. Nothing wrong with shellac as a finish, unless you plan on spilling alcohol on it.

You'll love having a sprayer. Saves money in the long run and you can get way more material on waayyyy faster. You can wet that entire speaker in 2 minutes. And the earlex is highly regarded. I personally just use a cheapie HVLP and my compressor. I've debated getting a nicer gun, but can't quite get myself there yet. To many other temptations
Thanks for chiming in! I used Zinsser Bulls Eye clear shellac.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/140...lac-quart.aspx

It is dewaxed as best as I can tell although I can't see where it actually says it. The surface after two coats has some rougher areas than others which is why I was trying to figure out whether to sand again or not. Not very rough (like after the first coat), but not completely smooth.
I will be using poly just for long term protection even though people setting drinks on my speakers isn't something that would happen.
I would have just bought a cheapie HVLP gun, but my compressor can't supply what's needed so I figured a self contained unit was the best way to go. I also didn't want to hassle with oil/water separators/driers, pressure regulators and what not. I am really looking forward to being able to spray!
post #628 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #629 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I cut and layed out the pieces for the baffle of the center channel last night. I figured that while I am waiting for the sprayer to arrive, I might as well get the center channel up to speed.
This is the last of the walnut and there weren't full length pieces anymore so I had to put 4 pieces together.
I think it makes for a nice pattern though and the baffle on the 1099 center doesn't leave much real estate for veneers anyway.
post #630 of 771 Old 12-07-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 254
No would notice if it was 8 pieces once it's on that small baffle.
dtsdig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page