DIYSG 5.2 System, 1099's, V10's and ???? Subs - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #61 of 79 Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That's a stunning piano. I'm going to have a make a trip out there during my lunch hour. You made the veneer process look pretty easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 91
It's something that seems daunting, but isn't once you do it once or twice. Watching a couple youtube videos cinched the deal for me once I could watch the basics demonstrated.

You won't regret it!
EarlK likes this.
post #63 of 79 Old 01-13-2015, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 79 Old 02-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 158
@matrixarp Great thread, thanks for taking the time to document your journey. Extremely informative.

I originally started hanging out in this DIY forum a little over a month ago when I decided I needed new subs. So in the next week or two I will have them built. But in the process of spending hours in this forum it's hard to ignore all the talk about the 1099's. Even though I really didn't intend to embark on a long journey to build new LCR, maybe. . .?

But I've been searching for a little more than "Wow, my 1099's sound great". Hard to tell if the frame of reference is a POS pair of $100 speakers or $20,000 exotics.

What prompted me to post here was one of the photos in the beginning of the thread where you had your Fusions on top of a pair of Paradigm speakers.

I have Paradigm Studio 100's and a CC-690. Was wondering if you could offer any description of how the 1099's sound relative to the Paradigms.

Thanks.
post #65 of 79 Old 02-06-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd918 View Post
@matrixarp Great thread, thanks for taking the time to document your journey. Extremely informative.

I originally started hanging out in this DIY forum a little over a month ago when I decided I needed new subs. So in the next week or two I will have them built. But in the process of spending hours in this forum it's hard to ignore all the talk about the 1099's. Even though I really didn't intend to embark on a long journey to build new LCR, maybe. . .?

But I've been searching for a little more than "Wow, my 1099's sound great". Hard to tell if the frame of reference is a POS pair of $100 speakers or $20,000 exotics.

What prompted me to post here was one of the photos in the beginning of the thread where you had your Fusions on top of a pair of Paradigm speakers.

I have Paradigm Studio 100's and a CC-690. Was wondering if you could offer any description of how the 1099's sound relative to the Paradigms.

Thanks.
Look into Joe's gtg threads(Vancouver summertime). There is pages of details lot more then "wow". On diysoundgroup reviews there is several good reviews including mine . imho it would be a significant upgrade over your current speakers.
post #66 of 79 Old 02-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Thanks for the info. I read the threads and there is definitely some more useful detail to be found. Based upon what I've read, I think you are right, I'd probably really like the 1099's.
post #67 of 79 Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks.

And so the DIY Pandora's Box journey has begun! All joking aside, I find the building of subwoofer and speakers extremely rewarding and more often than not potentially financially beneficial as well-depending just how overkill you decide to make them.

Thanks for the kind works. I still am in a deficit in terms of giving back vs how much knowledge I've gleaned from the talented individuals here. So expect some more details threads as time permits.

Compared to most I haven't had lavish systems in the past-mostly Polk or JBL tower types-so that is where the majority of my experience has been with. That being said I've been to a couple of high end audio trade shows and heard demos of $10,000-$1,000,000+ systems and I can say that the 1099's in my non acoustically treated living room can hold their own against speakers that cost $20k+. **With that said most 2 channel "hi-fi" speakers are WAY overpriced and a specific dollar value is a tough way to evaluate them.**

In regards to the Paradigm speakers: They are my roommates and would be comparable to the currently monitor 9's. The 1099's simply outperform them in all areas in my opinion. It's hardly a contest. I hear many more things in songs and movie soundtracks that I never noticed before having the 1099's. In fact the Volt 10's were much better to me than the Monitor 9's.

Now, I'm sure your Studio 100's would best the Monitor 9's significantly so it wouldn't be as dramatic of difference.

Try to find someone local that is willing to demo them for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Look into Joe's gtg threads(Vancouver summertime). There is pages of details lot more then "wow". On diysoundgroup reviews there is several good reviews including mine . imho it would be a significant upgrade over your current speakers.
Agreed!

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I read the threads and there is definitely some more useful detail to be found. Based upon what I've read, I think you are right, I'd probably really like the 1099's.
Go for it! You could probably sell the Paradigms to finance most of the 1099 project costs.

Last edited by matrixarp; 02-09-2015 at 06:08 PM. Reason: wording
post #68 of 79 Old 02-09-2015, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixarp View Post
And so the DIY Pandora's Box journey has begun! All joking aside, I find the building of subwoofer and speakers extremely rewarding and more often than not potential financially beneficial as well-depending just how overkill you decent to make them.

Thanks for the kind works. I still am in the deficit in terms of giving back vs how much knowledge I've gleaned from the talented individuals here. So expect some more details threads as time permits.

Compared to most I haven't had lavish systems in the past-mostly Polk or JBL tower types-so that is where the majority of my experience has been with. That being said I've been to a couple of high end audio trade shows and heard demos of $10,000-$1,000,000+ systems and I can say that the 1099's in my non acoustically treated living room can hold their own against speakers that cost $20k+. **With that said most 2 channel "hi-fi" speakers are WAY overpriced and a specific dollar value is a tough way to evaluate them.**

In regards to the Paradigm speakers: They are my roommates and would be comparable to the currently monitor 9's. The 1099's simply outperform them in all areas in my opinion. It's hardly a contest. I hear many more things in songs and movie soundtracks that I never noticed before having the 1099's. In fact the Volt 10's were much better to me than the Monitor 9's.

Now, I'm sure your Studio 100's would best the Monitor 9's significantly so it wouldn't be as dramatic of difference.

Try to find someone local that is willing to demo them for you.

Agreed!

Go for it! You could probably sell the Paradigms to finance most of the 1099 project costs.
You say that the 1099's are significantly better than the Monitor 9's but what abou the Studio 100's (with a cc690)? How do the 1099's stack up against the Studio 100's/cc690?
post #69 of 79 Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip24/96 View Post
You say that the 1099's are significantly better than the Monitor 9's but what abou the Studio 100's (with a cc690)? How do the 1099's stack up against the Studio 100's/cc690?
start your own thread for mor responces I think He said he has't heard the 100s
post #70 of 79 Old 02-09-2015, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip24/96 View Post

That's great question. He's right, I do not have any direct experience with the Studio 100's so I would be merely arm chair racing in that comparison.

I've been pretty excited about the 1099's; they are amazing speakers. However they may not be the perfect fit for everyone-for one thing they can take awhile to get in stock. Maybe I should be more consultative in the future. Something like "not have enough space" or "not having any woodworking tools" are points against them. Whereas cost and performance per dollar are large points for them.

To better address your question maybe you can help by sharing your vision of what you wanted to accomplish?
  • Have you built speakers before or can find someone to assist?
  • Is finish quality really important to you or your spouse?
  • Soldering and understanding the crossover diagram?
  • What's the primary listening environment like?
  • How loudly do you listen to movies and music?
  • How how important is the budget within your system?

Last edited by matrixarp; 02-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
post #71 of 79 Old 02-09-2015, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Great job on the build! Excellent write ups as well.
post #72 of 79 Old 06-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Hey matrixarp, did you do anything to finish the veneer or did it come from glveneer pre-finished? your speakers look great and are almost exactly what I have been thinking of doing (1099 elusive, wood veneer, built in stand to make them taller).

Edit: oops, just saw the post where you talked about the finish

Last edited by simp1yamazn; 06-26-2015 at 12:45 PM.
post #73 of 79 Old 06-28-2015, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 109
post #74 of 79 Old 11-09-2015, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Did you have any issues with air pockets with the veneer using the J-Roller? The website stated not to use J-Rollers, but looks like your boxes turned out great. I just purchased Wenge QTR RCN EC 4 x 8 10M for my 1099s.

Also, do you think there would be enough left over to veneer the back of the 1099s as well from one 4x8 sheet?

Displays: JVC RS4910 Projector | 125-inch 2.35:1 Elite Cinetension2 Screen | Panasonic 58V10 Plasma TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A800 | Microsoft XBOX One | Dish Hopper | Intel i5 Nuc w/ Openelec | Behringer iNuke 3000DSP
Speakers: DIY Fusion-12 Tempest (L/R) | DIY 88-Special (C) | DIY Volt-10 Speakers (Surr L/R) | Subwoofers: MartyCube w/ Stereo Integrity SI-18 X 2
post #75 of 79 Old 11-09-2015, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post
Also, do you think there would be enough left over to veneer the back of the 1099s as well from one 4x8 sheet?
Using MaxCut it's doable on a single 4x8 sheet...

but you'd have to forgo the tops.
post #76 of 79 Old 11-09-2015, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasser View Post
Using MaxCut it's doable on a single 4x8 sheet...

but you'd have to forgo the tops.
Perfect, I wasn't going to veneer the front. I plan on using duratex on the front of the box.

Displays: JVC RS4910 Projector | 125-inch 2.35:1 Elite Cinetension2 Screen | Panasonic 58V10 Plasma TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A800 | Microsoft XBOX One | Dish Hopper | Intel i5 Nuc w/ Openelec | Behringer iNuke 3000DSP
Speakers: DIY Fusion-12 Tempest (L/R) | DIY 88-Special (C) | DIY Volt-10 Speakers (Surr L/R) | Subwoofers: MartyCube w/ Stereo Integrity SI-18 X 2
post #77 of 79 Old 11-09-2015, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Perfect, I wasn't going to veneer the front. I plan on using duratex on the front of the box.
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Using MaxCut the most you can fit on a single 4x8 sheet is two 1099s including the tops and sides (no backs and fronts). Adding the backs will push it to two, unless you don't do the top of the vertical 1099. And covering the minimum areas for three 1099s (sides and tops including horizontal center), you'll have to have two 4x8 sheets.
post #78 of 79 Old 01-03-2016, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you have any issues with air pockets with the veneer using the J-Roller? The website stated not to use J-Rollers, but looks like your boxes turned out great. I just purchased Wenge QTR RCN EC 4 x 8 10M for my 1099s.

It looks like you had your question about sizing answered.

I can address the bubbling question. No, I have had no issues with the veneer at all so far. It looks as good as when I installed it. It was my first time using veneer also so I'm sure I missed some tricks, but I didn't have any issues with my J-Roller.

The thing that I would stress as caution to anyone using a roller is that you need to be careful with the amount of pressure you apply at the edges. It's easy to break/crack the veneer if you're applying full pressure in the middle of the panel and then roll to and then past the edge of the wood. This happened to me, but I was fortunate enough that it didn't show on my finish.
post #79 of 79 Old 01-03-2016, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It looks like you had your question about sizing answered.

I can address the bubbling question. No, I have had no issues with the veneer at all so far. It looks as good as when I installed it. It was my first time using veneer also so I'm sure I missed some tricks, but I didn't have any issues with my J-Roller.

The thing that I would stress as caution to anyone using a roller is that you need to be careful with the amount of pressure you apply at the edges. It's easy to break/crack the veneer if you're applying full pressure in the middle of the panel and then roll to and then past the edge of the wood. This happened to me, but I was fortunate enough that it didn't show on my finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page