AVS Forum banner

Classix II in record time

23K views 70 replies 24 participants last post by  notnyt 
#1 · (Edited)
Classix II - Piano Black and Walnut

update: finished pics:

uneq'd measurements @ lp, which is right near a wall =[ Still, good measurements imo.

Just got home and found a pair of classix ii components on my doorstep. Couldn't wait, so I put them together right away.

I'm just waiting for tomorrow to get some veneer =] Wife and I built these, we wanted something decent in the bedroom since the tv speakers in flat panels are pathetic.

xray

veneered, just need to spray them now.

uneq'd measurements @ lp:

See less See more
#2 ·
I had no idea that speakers that small could have a place in your life.

Honestly, your one of the guys whose subwoofer pictures I show to my wife, so I can say to her..." See, there are guys way crazier than me

Looking forward to seeing how the veneer turns out... What color or style are u going with?

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings  /t/1534013/classix-ii-in-record-time/0_100#post_24780126

I had no idea that speakers that small could have a place in your life.

Honestly, your one of the guys whose subwoofer pictures I show to my wife, so I can say to her..." See, there are guys way crazier than me

Looking forward to seeing how the veneer turns out... What color or style are u going with?

I just don't have room in the bedroom for what I wanted, the fusion 12s, so went with these instead. There's no room for a sub so I need something that can dig low enough to be acceptable. I just watch stuff at night with the wife there, nothing crazy, but tv speakers suck and I can't live with them. If I went with the fusion 12s it would be really awkward... oh well. At least these are cheap and should do the job. I'll take some measurements when done. I'll be powering em with an X1000

No idea on the veneer yet... wife helping build these with me, was making cuts and built an xover, so we're gonna go checkout veneer and stains tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1534013/classix-ii-in-record-time/0_100#post_24780156

He's going soft

Veneer will be interesting with the curved front. I might have to steam it or something, I'm not sure how.. thankfully there's the internet. I'm sure it'll end up ok.

If anyone has tips, I'm all ears.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1534013/classix-ii-in-record-time#post_24780156

He's going soft
^^^ Puts 9th LMS & SEOS 24's in bedroom.

You know your audio addiction is getting bad when even your kids have a 5.1 theater in their bedroom... in addition to the.... living-room theater, the basement theater, the master-bedroom theater, and the dedicated outbuilding theater.

I'm not quite that bad yet... but I'm getting close

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1534013/classix-ii-in-record-time#post_24782383

john j. mentioned this site as someone he was working a while back. not sure how it turned out. perhaps drop him a note:

http://www.tapeease.com/

he has had some real experience with the good and the bad of veneering.

I've purchased from them several times as well. They have great service and are less than 30 mins from me so I can view any inventory. I'm sure that's what John really enjoys as well.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms  /t/1534013/classix-ii-in-record-time/0_100#post_24786065

I've purchased from them several times as well. They have great service and are less than 30 mins from me so I can view any inventory. I'm sure that's what John really enjoys as well.

I couldn't looking at the website.... I went with something I could see samples on.

#24 ·
#26 ·
The classix ii are a good choice for small room listening. I built a pair 3 years ago and they sound great for non critical listening, nice deep bass for such a small speaker and forgiving for poor produced recordings. I'm sure you will enjoy them. Nice job on the build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.